Thread: 110 Build

110 Build

Hoping to find a little advice on this one...

I recently acquired an older 110 barreled action. I ran the serial number. The rifle was manufactured in 2008. It has the accutrigger, but it pre-dates the changes made (that I think were made?) when the accustock was released in 2009.

The problem I am having is it APPEARS to have had bottom metal to support the old detachable box mag system (no bottom metal is present), but I honestly dont know if this was originally a blind box mag rifle or a detachable mag rifle..

Im looking for a solution to get this thing back up and running, but cant seem to find any information on if/how the newer AICS bottom metal will fit (that seems to be the only bottom metal I can find.. Ive searched pretty hard for pre-2009 bottom metal and cant find one anywhere), and/or whether I can just pick up a follower and spring along with a new metal box for a blind box option (I can find springs and followers easy enough.. but havent found the metal for the blind box)...

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get a 2008 110 up and running that doesnt have a mag system in place at the moment? Im indifferent on which route to take.. while I'd prefer to go the blind box route... If the detachable box route is the fastest/easiest route to success, I'd be perfectly happy with this rifle being a detachable box mag gun as well...

thanks!

Banned
    So, if I’m reading this correctly, you have a Savage 110 with no bottom metal? So no way to load rounds in the rifle. You can only manually insert one round at a time. But the stock has an opening at the bottom. Is that all correct? If so, the easiest remedy is likely buying an aftermarket bottom metal for AICS mags. Now, others here know worlds more than I on this particular genre as Aluminum Chassis are my Go To, but it’s not uncommon that some custom work/fitting may be necessary. One thing I do know, anything will work given enough
    fab/fitting. Just depends on each persons comfort know how. Of course, I’m sure you can find someone to do it as well. Wish I could give you a little more.

Basic Member
    It might be worth hitting up @Sharpshooter on here. Fred knows more than many ever will about Savage rifles!

I think all the Mag type bottom metal are very similar in inlet visually. I’ve never tried to fit one in another.

Basic Member
    If it were built for a blind mag, there would be no hole in the bottom. If the stock has a through hole, it means it was a DBM. A 2008 model will have the new center feed magazine system. An OEM magazine frame and DBM can be had from Savage. Going with a blind mag will still require a mag box, follower, "L" bracket and a stock that is solid on the bottom.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

thanks @sharpshooter !

I'll give Savage a call.. the plan is to pick up a hogue overmold stock for it and to go blind mag.. I'll give Savage a call and order the mag box, follower, and L bracket...

This will most likely be a rifle that gets shot only a little and hangs out in the safe a lot... whoever owned it before I picked it up had it rebarreled in 358 Winchester (short action cartridge on a long action?).. I've got a 350 Legend and a 35 Whelen in the safe.. so the 35's were already well covered before I got the savage.. but the deal made was truly too good to pass up.. and I thought getting the rifle back up and running again would be a fun project.. I figure it will be a "loaner" rifle during deer season (I sponsor a "veterans" hunt every year here in TX, and typically at least a couple of the guys that travel in either dont have rifles, or dont want to travel with them.. So I bring a couple of loaners for the week).. Im guessing for maybe $250 I can at least get it shooting again and see where it goes from there..

thanks again!

Update: I managed to source an original factory stock (blind mag), a magazine box, follower and spring (leaf spring type..)... but havent been able to source an L-Bracket anywhere.. any thoughts on where to find one?

I've emailed Savage directly but havent heard back from them yet... checked everywhere from midway to brownells to ebay, etc.. no luck there..

thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
    Update: I managed to source an original factory stock (blind mag), a magazine box, follower and spring (leaf spring type..)... but havent been able to source an L-Bracket anywhere.. any thoughts on where to find one?

I've emailed Savage directly but havent heard back from them yet... checked everywhere from midway to brownells to ebay, etc.. no luck there..

thanks!
    I doubt you’re gonna find one. If I had the dimensions or could borrow one to copy, I could make you one of those easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I doubt you’re gonna find one. If I had the dimensions or could borrow one to copy, I could make you one of those easy.
    Im starting to think youre right... 2 emails to Savage have gone unanswered.. and as I type this, I have been on hold with Savage customer service for 38 minutes (they havent answered the phone yet.. Im just listening to the elevator music and the ads)..

pretty frustrating..

I spoke too soon...

Savage finally picked up...

The customer service rep that answered was very helpful and professional.. he knew exactly what part I was describing (its officially called a "magazine retaining clip").. he said he had only had someone order one of these before and it had taken him more than an hour to find the part number.. so he saved it to a file for quick access in case anyone ever called again..

They have a minimum order of $10... and the clip is only a $2.50 part.. so I just picked up 3 of them along with a rear trigger guard screw (the one that I have works, but is pretty buggered up looking).. everything should be here in about a week..

I now have spare mag retaining clips if anyone else is in need :)

Banned
    Fan-flippin’-tastic man! Great news.

Although I’m a bit let down… I was going to make one in Titanium.

Basic Member
    mdwest, once you have them in had if there is a clear part number I wish you would post it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    mdwest, once you have them in had if there is a clear part number I wish you would post it for the rest of us.
    will do. once it arrives I'll check the invoice and the packaging and post the info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Fan-flippin’-tastic man! Great news.

Although I’m a bit let down… I was going to make one in Titanium.
    I'll ship you one of the spares to use as a template