Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Season build

Banned

Good luck with it Fuj’. Hope you get the results you’re looking for.

Barrel tuners aren’t appealing to me. Much like those who chase Action Screw torque values, barrel tuners also try to play with harmonics.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Thanks Fuj.

I wonder why it changes high and low, not left or right. Might go back to the theory about the nodes enlarging the barrel, changing the vel of the bullets?

Sometimes being an engineer sucks. I ask myself too many questions that have no way to get answers :)
    Drawing from Mike kind of explains what I mean. It's a sine wave formed. Depending on the muzzle position
    when the bullet exits do to harmonics. He just recommends or prefers the high setting. This also helps the
    distance shooters from extra elevation on the scopes.

Test went well. I'll try to get a few pics up later. Of the four groups during powder tests, One was a .131" and
    one at .210". The barrel will shoot. On the the ugly side.....one at .420" and one at a nasty vertical of .700".
    Another round of high winds and rain for the next few days will have me doing other things.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high_low_tune (2).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	9496
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Fuj, in 2 dimensions I understand that. But, the barrel is also vibrating horizontally. So, maybe there is something else here. I 'need' someone with a couple of high speed cameras to do some work here :) So, does the velocity curve look the same?

I still kinda laugh when seeing groups from really good rifles/shooters. I am a bit jealous and then I go and see where can I up my game to get better.

Glad yours is doing well. Always nice to see a new piece of equipment prove itself.

And thanks for answering all my irritating questions. :)

DP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDT_Oryx_ One_off.JPG  

A bit lacking in updates and our first UBR style match was about 2 weeks ago !!
    Either way, I did get the Ezell tuner mounted up but no time for testing prior to
    the match so I just grab known loads and went at it. Of a possible 264 for 4 targets,
    I managed a 249 and a mid pack. Everything that kept the points lower were just me
    and a rifle that needs tuned. No complaints on conditions. At the end of 4 relays, it
    was switching but not above 4mph....One pic is my rig just going on the bench for
    morning sighters. I need to shoot another pic of one of the targets. I'm on bench 7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDT_Oryx_ One_off.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	9526
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC_UBR_May23 (2).jpg  

Banned
    Awesome shooting Gary! Are you the only competitor using a Savage? What are you seeing other competitors using?

Basic Member
    Nice work with a untuned system.

What do your targets look like? I don't recall a 66 point target before. Or, do you count the X as 11 points and shoot 6 rounds per target?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Awesome shooting Gary! Are you the only competitor using a Savage? What are you seeing other competitors using?
    In custom class there is another, but just a box stock 6br. In factory, there are several.
    The full blown BR rifles are a large part Kelbly actions with a smattering of bat and Borden.
    You'll also find that must of these actions on the line are glue ins.

Nice work with a untuned system.

What do your targets look like? I don't recall a 66 point target before. Or, do you count the X as 11 points and shoot 6 rounds per target?
    Charlie....Look up "UBR" Unlimited Bench Rest. Trying to post a target but keep getting error messages ??
    But yes, 6 shots per target, with unlimited sighters. Center dot is scored as one point giving you a possible
    11 points per bull.

Basic Member
    Makes sense. I was also happy to see the caliber targets. That makes a lot of sense in this area as well.

Target second relay......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6300246 (2).JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	9528

Basic Member
    Nice!

Changing things up a bit....With the evolution of my LEGO rifles, rests are included.
    I'm converting to a 4" wide fore arm, and had to do the same with my T-Rex rest.
    The Rodzilla T-Rex is not 4" capable.....With machining a new aluminum plate and
    adding my extra set of Bald Eagle side bag tensioners, It is now !! I made a 4" rider
    plate to bolt on to my 3" front. It's removable just in case a certain event has a rule.
    I mainly shoot unlimited. It is what it is....Tensioners are maxed out just to hold the
    new piece in place.....

Name:	S6300280 (2).JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	9769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6300279 (2).JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	9770

Banned
    4”… WOW! Pretty neat. I could see that being helpful for me, being I can’t use my left arm/hand to hold the rig in any way. But I’ve always just been a simple bipod shooter. Since I’m 18 that’s all I’ve used. Almost seems mandatory to me know, LOL!

Oh… and I could never even think of putting out that kind of money for a gun rest. I understand they are involved, but at like $2,000 for those, in my mind it would be like a bolt knob costing several hundred $$, LOL!

Dave....A big chunk of change for that rest was courtesy of the Pa. property tax rebate program
    for us Seniors. Once your over 65, own property and pay all the taxes on it, Your entitled to
    a fat rebate. So every July, It's Christmas for my shooting habit. I was looking at a Lenzi but
    almost a years wait. The T-Rex was 6 months or sooner. I lucked out and had it in a month.
    This years check went for a CZ-457 AT-One rimfire for the grandson.

Name:	Zach.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	9782

Basic Member
    That’s one Fortunate Grandson!

Basic Member
    Nice on all counts.

Sometimes I wish I could justify a really good rest. I had thought about making one. I had designed one I could make with just a drill press, but just the price of the metal is daunting. I don't even have those drawings anymore. I miss my 12x36 lathe and milling machine :)

Basic Member
    A good place to start charlie is with a small Car Scissor Jack. There are examples on youtube.

Basic Member
    Yep, that was a source I had looked at. I've used them before making jigs for metal work. One I was trying to get the slop out of it and ended up replacing all the 'flats' with bar stock. Used a lot of similar mechanisms when working with optics benches. They use a similar geometry, but, prices on those can be really high as well for the larger versions.

I've also considered an x-y machinist vise as a base to start with but it ends up being bulky and the geometry isn't quite right.

For years, a decent Bald Eagle rest was all I needed. When I decided to try a joy stick,
    I grabbed one of Butch Lamberts "Shade Tree" tops that fits the Bald Eagle, They were
    just a couple of hundred bucks at the time. I liked it, and used it for a couple years as
    is. Like anything, we all want to upgrade when possible. If you look again at my grand-
    sons pic, He's shooting off my Bald Eagle. I made a new top plate to fit Butch's mechanics,
    but went withe the original Bald Eagle bag side tensioners. The width of the plate will let
    you use up to a six inch bag, and I installed a four inch bag. This way, I always have a
    back up rig and one for the grandson.....Oh, I did a add a longer stick to the Shade Tree
    top for easier reach and movement. If anyone is on a real tight budget, Caldwell has one
    similar to the Bald Eagle.

Banned
    I do long for a lathe myself. Just don’t have the floor space. However, I could never be without a Mill. A rest is pretty simple concept. Definitely something I could had I motivation for one. While yes, the material costs a bit, we are taking a small FRACTION of the price to buy one of those!

Last year I had decided I wanted to make a nice bench rest bipod. I sourced 2024 Billet Aluminum(stronger than 6061), Carbon Fiber & Titanium rod. Including all Titanium hardware. Cost a few bucks, sure. Maybe as much as a Harris Bipod. About 1/4 the Price, or LESS, of the higher end Bipods.

Don’t get me wrong, my thumbs up to those with the means to purchase these highest toys we all love. Unfortunately, that’s never been me, LOL! However, The Lord gave blessed me with the gift to design in my head & make the parts. Not to mention the love of machining, fabricating. I’ve always felt, if I can make something that looks like it was made in a factory & perform at least 90% as well, I’m happy. (Sometimes things we do even perform better.)

Sorry Fuj’.. not trying to hijack, LOL! Was just adding as encouragement to Charlie & maybe others like me. And I do know you are one of the more skillful builders, machinists, fabricators here.

Basic Member
    I agree about fabrication and I've done more than a few bipods. I am a bit shocked at how much some can get for a bipod.

And, yeah, having a mill is really nice. I used to make a lot of parts for my motorcycle back then. I am kinda sorry I didn't go for long range shooting when I was younger and I might have found a way to keep those tools.

Fuj, thanks. I guess I had not researched enough on the joystick mounts. That top section looks like a bargain even if I had the tools to engineer and build one.

PS where are you on your rifle build? Any competition with it yet?

Team Savage
    Go ahead and make fun of my homemade bipod.

Name:	Into-F-Class-Cheap-1a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	9803

Basic Member
    Nope. Reminds me of one my FIL made. He chose to use mesquite for the cross piece (never to that again :) ). It was gorgeous.

PS where are you on your rifle build? Any competition with it yet?
    A little procrastinating going on. and waiting on a Lilja barrel for the SA284.
    One of Cortina's V-2 tuners came in for that. And sweating bullets....LOL
    i have a limited supply for testing to get it ready for the "Tack Driver" I have
    put away 200 for the match only leaving me 113 for break in / work ups. I
    don't like calling it this close but if it does not go my way, my 284_ELF will be
    my backup.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast