Thread: Another 110 450bm build

Another 110 450bm build

I’m new to savages but I got an itch to build a bushmaster.
    What I’ve found is an older 110 7mm08 built on a long action. It has a staggered blind magazine.
    From what I’ve read for a while savage built everything on a long action and shortened up the box for short action cartridges.
    I’m interested to hear if this will make my conversion harder to do instead of just finding a true short action?
    Also are part’s available to convert the magazine to center feed?

Thanks in advance

Banned
    Yes… Savage, at various times, offered SA cartridges in Long Actions. It will not present any problem at all. Yes, you can still find parts to go Center Feed. Just need to search. Of course, expect to be doing some Fab & Fit’n. Or, you can always go Chassis & run AICS mags.

So I ended up buying a model 11 308 4.4” for my project. Came with a bc stock with varmint contour which probably will work out nicely. When it arrives I’ll get my barrel ordered. I was looking for headspace gauges online and didn’t see much. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by catmanran View Post
    I was looking for headspace gauges online and didn’t see much. Any suggestions?
    Check.....Clymer, Forster, JGS, PTG, Manson, and maybe Lyman still has a few around.

Check..... 450bushmaster.net They may still be up.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I used PTG gauges when I rebarreled one of my model 10s from .308 to .450 Bushmaster. Nice thing about Savage is it's really easy to switch back and forth. Almost like having spare rifles lying around. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Your 4.40 CF action will work great, just swap the barrel and go. If you are having a custom barrel made I would recommend a Magnum or Varmint taper at 16 to 18 inches and thread the muzzle just in case. I built one back in 2012 IIRC (back before they were cool and could legally be used for deer hunting in the restrictive states). Just recently sold it to a buddy who had to have it, and since I prefer my 444 Marlin guns I reluctantly caved and sold. It was a 4.40 CF Stevens action with an 18" Varmint taper barrel with a threaded muzzle at 5/8-24-RH. Shot very well and fed from the mag great with the 250gr FTX bullets. I did try some loads with the 300gr XTP bullet and they fed ok as long as you cycled the bolt with a positive motion. If you went real slow sometimes the flatter point would hang up, however that barrel preferred the FTX anyway so it worked out for me lol. It made a nice handy little big bore rifle and with a brake on it was very pleasant to shoot.

Good luck on your build.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Banned
    +1 on above!

So I’ve been moving forward with this model 11. I’ve got a barrel ordered from McGowen. A 22” varmint taper which fits the taper on the bell & carlson stock. I got it threaded with brake. I’ve installed a titanium bolt handle with the carbon fiber knob. Also a sav-1 trigger which I’ve set at 1lb 10oz. Not much else I can do at this point besides wait

Banned
    Very cool. Those Lumley Bolt Handles are legit, eh? Look also at the Lumley Lift Kit with Titanium BAS. Either natural color or in DLC Black. I use the same. Make certain you use a good machined Recoil Lug as well.

Is it just the barrel you’re waiting for? Post pics when you’re finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Very cool. Those Lumley Bolt Handles are legit, eh? Look also at the Lumley Lift Kit with Titanium BAS. Either natural color or in DLC Black. I use the same. Make certain you use a good machined Recoil Lug as well.

Is it just the barrel you’re waiting for? Post pics when you’re finished.
    yup waiting on the barrel. I did get a go gauge. I was looking at lift kits and figured I’d hold off on that thinking probably don’t need it. Do they make much of a difference? What do you recommend for a recoil lug?

Banned
    No one item makes as big difference as a longer bolt handle. It’s the point that when Bolt Lift is noticeably bad, doing all the little tricks will affect a substantial decrease in lift effort. So yes, it’s fine to wait and just see how it feels for you.

My barrel came last week I got all setup and got a couple rounds through today. The bolt works smoothly with no effort. I can’t figure out how to put up pictures

Banned
    Here ya go catman.. Copy & Paste the “BBCode” here lists the picture right in the thread full size, like this.

Looks GREAT!