Thread: Axis Camouflage Flaking Off

Axis Camouflage Flaking Off

Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased a Savage Axis with the TrueTimber Strata camouflage. After only about a month, it has started flaking off, with some areas not in contact with any place it would be handled. Is this a common issue? I was under the impression that these wraps were quite durable.

The durability of the dipped finish is totally dependent on how well the item being dipped was prepped. My guess is they didn't do a good job of removing the mold release agent from the stock before dipping which prevented the film from adhering properly.

I'd call Savage, they'll likely send you out a replacement stock under warranty.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The durability of the dipped finish is totally dependent on how well the item being dipped was prepped. My guess is they didn't do a good job of removing the mold release agent from the stock before dipping which prevented the film from adhering properly.

I'd call Savage, they'll likely send you out a replacement stock under warranty.
    I contacted Savage and they indicated this is not normal wear. As you've indicated, there was likely a flaw in the adhesion process. They said they would send out a replacement stock.

Thanks for your input!
    If you shake the trees, rake the leaves!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Militans Deo View Post
    I contacted Savage and they indicated this is not normal wear. As you've indicated, there was likely a flaw in the adhesion process. They said they would send out a replacement stock.

Thanks for your input!
    They have always been good to me when I needed service and had to send an Axis in 243 back in 2017 due to one of the screw holes for the scope mount being rough tapped. It did take a few weeks to get it back which was ok since it was in the offseason.
    It is a Compact model with the short stock so I might be interested in your old one if you want to sell it and is compatible with mine since I only use this Axis for hunting.

Chris