Thread: New tubes on order

Basic Member

New tubes on order

So, I have a pair of bolt action 223's that shot 1/2 moa for several years. The first one has somewhere north of 6000 rounds down it and the second is not far behind. The barrel finally gave out on the first one so I called NSS to see about a replacement. I want a pre-fit, 26 inch stainless, varmint taper in an 8 twist, exactly like I have now. And I want the chamber cut with my custom reamer. After he told me that Criterion would do that for me with a small fee to chuck up my reamer I told him to double the order and make it two because I'm sure the second barrel is not long for this world.
    Since then I've bought an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench and watched numerous youtube videos and I am looking forward to getting these barrels.
    Last week an email came from Criterion to let me know that they are scheduled for production in December. With a little luck I will have them installed and loads verified in time for chuck season at the first of April. The two barrels on my rifles now are chambered with this same reamer so I'm hoping that my tried and true loads will produce similar results in the new ones.

In the meantime I'm tumbling and annealing 2400 cases. I will wait until I can run some test loads in the new chambers to set my sizing dies and finish reloading.

Awesome Idaho. Many would be envious of your shooting opportunity.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Update. I ordered two EC V2 Tuners and barrel adapters this week. Hoping it all comes together this month. Have a bunch of left over ammo that gave 1/4 moa from this season. Will use that to break in the barrels and try to set the new tuners. Getting anxious.

save ya the google I had to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wpnGd-r0RY
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

That sounds like a great plan.
    I'm excited for you.....Good luck with those new barrels !

Basic Member
    Both EC V2 Tuners are in hand. Northland SS just sent UPS tracking for the two new barrels. I may get these rifles together this next week and be able to move to barrel break in and verify if my varmint loads will make bug-holes without too much trouble. Merry Christmas to me.........

Congrats, not horrible turn around in these current times. Keep us posted.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Team Savage
    keepus updated how they shoot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragsflh View Post
    keepus updated how they shoot
    I've only mounted one on a rifle which barrel had over 6000 rounds down the tube. I took it to the range and tried my tried and true hunting loads only to be sorely disappointed. After trying several things I finally called a friend who used to be a competitive shooter; he suggested that I try a different powder. I have hunting loads for another of my 223 hunting rifles that are loaded with AR-Comp powder pushing 77g Sierra TMKs. It has also been a VERY accurate load. I took ten of those loaded rounds and loaded up 5 test loads with the 75g ELDMs that I intend to use in this rifle over the AR-Comp powder.
    I had cleaned the rifle the day before I went to the range and did not take any fouling rounds. The first 5 bullets through the cold - clean barrel made one ragged hole that was under 1/2 inch!! The five test loads with the ELDMs gave very similar results. I let my buddy shoot the last 5 of the 10 and he really enjoyed seeing bullet holes appear exactly where he aimed! IOW, these barrels are going to be shooters!!!