Thread: 500m Steel Silhouette in West MI

500m Steel Silhouette in West MI

2023 is the year I am planning on being back to the savagery of the barrel nutz.

Back after a long absence.

Life and other challenges did not lead to me being at the range more than 3 times a year in the past few years.

Aiming to be more involved in the club and have fun at some competitive shoots.
    Well I figured out that looking at targets .2 inch holes on paper at 200m is not my forte.

Volunteered at the 500 m range for a Silhouette challenge and I really liked the format.

Talking to a few of the participants I gathered that I need to knock down the target to score.

Caliber:

Took an inventory of my stash and 6mm br would be my first choice but I have not worked out a load or have factory ammo (lapua is OOO)
    So I was lost on caliber,
    looking at my stash of brass, loaded ammo etc, I decided to give 308 a go.
    found a 11 twist 24 inch large shank CBI at northland and bought it. (shipping was a bit steep, ouch)

I need to ask Jim for the chamber specs but he said 150s to 180s would shot good.

I have some 150s and 160s in my stash, American eagle and feds

Action:
    I picked a dual port action with a 204 rug bull barrel, I need to take off the barrel but have only a barrel vise and NO action wrench,
    I sprayed some pb blaster on the nut today, I am going to give it go tomorrow see if I can get the barrel off.

Stock:
    The rifle is a LRPV with a factory stock with alu bed. should I go with this?

FYI:
    The guy who won last had a savage short action with a CBI barrel in 222 ack, factory wood stock he did some trimming and routing and with a single shot Fred's sled.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Sounds like it will work fine.

Larger bullets do well on the sil's as a slightly off shot can still knock them over.

I think the original stock would be fine. I assume standing when shooting? So, it will depend on if the stock fits you.

We have a sil range with swinging targets set up for practice. I am just not that good from standing position anymore.

Shooting position = seating.

Here is a pic of the setup

newbie from gr, mi.

I bought a few 5 inch, 6 inch and 10 inch targets to practice.
    I need to figure out how to hang them now.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Sounds like it will work fine.

Larger bullets do well on the sil's as a slightly off shot can still knock them over.
    I don't think he is shooting High Power Silhouette, as in Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I don't think he is shooting High Power Silhouette, as in Rams.
    Correct, the targets are metal, small, like the smallest is 5 inches (???).
    Anyway, 65g or more will knock the targets over.
    So I am assuming a 30 cal will do it too :-)

I will post a separate thread with my large shank stuck nut issue, can't get the nut off to put in my new Criterion Barrel
    newbie from gr, mi.

Welcome back Rex. Been too long.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Correct, the targets are metal, small, like the smallest is 5 inches (???).
    Anyway, 65g or more will knock the targets over.
    So I am assuming a 30 cal will do it too :-)

I will post a separate thread with my large shank stuck nut issue, can't get the nut off to put in my new Criterion Barrel
    Ok, so different game than what we do out here.

Yeah, .308 would be overkill :) Have fun with it...if you can get your barrel off LOL

When hanging targets I make up some conduit legs and cross piece. Angle the cut on the bottom and I can usually pound them into our berms. Hanging strip is usually 2" nylon strap material. Usually have to replace it every 3rd or 4th range trip depending on how well I am shooting :)

Team Savage
    Stockrex, new to the forum so little dated on reply....but.

I have been reloading and shooting the 308 pretty much exclusively for going on 20 years.

For shooting silhouettes, managing recoil so the gun doesn't beat on you, and to be economical, I would shoot the 125 TNT bullet Speer makes. Looking on the internet you can still find them at 99 to 110 dollars for 500.

I have shot about 1500 of those bullets, and have another 4 thousand in the cabinet. With a flat base design they are very easy to tune for most any rifle. The accuracy has been great, very very consistent at 300 yards, staying between 1.500 down to .875 measurements; not the group divided by 3, but actual side to side on the target measurements. I found that a lot of powders worked well in driving them, IMR 3031, 4064, 4320, BLC2, Ramshot TAC, H4198 and of course Varget. Optimum velocity seemed to be across the board at 3000 fps; used Win brass with CCI primers. They had no issues holding the groups out to 600, but of course you fight the wind more with the lighter bullets. Loaded at these velocities you still generate around 850-1000 foot lbs. at 400 yards and wind bucking is about the same as a 168 at 500; if you look at the ballistics, you generally see that when looking at a 168 loaded to standard of 2600 fps, going out through 500 yards, the 125 performance in drop, energy, is almost identical, but at 100 yards less for each. So, what you would expect out of a 168 at 500, is what you get from the 125 at 400. Should work for silhouettes fine. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Welcome back Rex. Been too long.
    Thanks Robinhood, yes, time went by too fast!
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Ok, so different game than what we do out here.

Yeah, .308 would be overkill :) Have fun with it...if you can get your barrel off LOL

When hanging targets I make up some conduit legs and cross piece. Angle the cut on the bottom and I can usually pound them into our berms. Hanging strip is usually 2" nylon strap material. Usually have to replace it every 3rd or 4th range trip depending on how well I am shooting :)
    My order of steel came in few weeks back, I ordered the some smaller targets with funky rectangular openings, I had to swing by lowes to get 3/8 lag bolts to hang them.
    I have 1 inch fence pipe that I can cut up and use to hang targets,
    else electric conduit it is as you mentioned,
    the rubber hanging pieces where expensive,
    May I ask what nylon straps you are using?

Thanks!
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBV1963 View Post
    Stockrex, new to the forum so little dated on reply....but.

I have been reloading and shooting the 308 pretty much exclusively for going on 20 years.

For shooting silhouettes, managing recoil so the gun doesn't beat on you, and to be economical, I would shoot the 125 TNT bullet Speer makes. Looking on the internet you can still find them at 99 to 110 dollars for 500.

I have shot about 1500 of those bullets, and have another 4 thousand in the cabinet. With a flat base design they are very easy to tune for most any rifle. The accuracy has been great, very very consistent at 300 yards, staying between 1.500 down to .875 measurements; not the group divided by 3, but actual side to side on the target measurements. I found that a lot of powders worked well in driving them, IMR 3031, 4064, 4320, BLC2, Ramshot TAC, H4198 and of course Varget. Optimum velocity seemed to be across the board at 3000 fps; used Win brass with CCI primers. They had no issues holding the groups out to 600, but of course you fight the wind more with the lighter bullets. Loaded at these velocities you still generate around 850-1000 foot lbs. at 400 yards and wind bucking is about the same as a 168 at 500; if you look at the ballistics, you generally see that when looking at a 168 loaded to standard of 2600 fps, going out through 500 yards, the 125 performance in drop, energy, is almost identical, but at 100 yards less for each. So, what you would expect out of a 168 at 500, is what you get from the 125 at 400. Should work for silhouettes fine. Just a thought.
    John, light bullets sounds good, I will keep my eye open for the 125s to get in stock and stash up. I looked and could not find any in stock.
    M1 Garand guys use light bullets too for reduced range matches.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    ...May I ask what nylon straps you are using?

Thanks!
    I just use nylon webbing. I replace it more often but I usually have a partial roll around somewhere. 1 1/2"-2".

You can't beat fire hose for hanging steel. Old conveyor belt is second.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952