Bobby Hart LRT
    Weighs 12.5lbs

Load data:

RCBS 168-SP, Lyman #2, gas checked and sized to .285"
    WLL X-lox 2500+ in first lube groove only
    Peterson fireformed brass
    CCI400
    N135

Removed the 6.5CM barreled action from the LRT and put it back in the factory stock, then fit the 7BR barreled action to the LRT. Loaded test rounds about 2 weeks ago and was just waiting for a good weather window which finally happened Friday.

Pulled my bench out and set up. Re-zeroed the 6.5CM then set up chronograph prior to shooting 7BR. Shilen recommends shoot 1 & clean for 5 rounds, which I did while getting scope dialed in. Fired up the chrono then proceeded to shoot 4ea 3-shot groups. Rounds 6, 7 & 8 produced the group circled in green, I forgot to adjust elevation before the first shot of the next group circled in red...

I use corrugated plastic for backers and they were quite wet from morning fog, so waited to measure after they dried, the three holes on left measured .712"...

The final group at 26.5gr openend up a bit, but still respectable with only 17 total rounds shot...

Disregard markings on targets, I save unused sighter targets for home practice. When I ran my borescope down the barrel afterward I found no lead fouling at all. Hats off to Shilen for a superb finish!

This is very promising and anxious to start a ladder test from 24.5 - 26gr. The 25gr load had avg vel 2048fps, ES 4.0, SD 2.0. :-)
    Last edited by PhilC; 01-24-2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add info

Basic Member
    Nice start. What twist is that barrel?

I got my mold for the 6BR today (and sizing bushings). Will cast some up this weekend. It is also a Shilen barrel.

Team Savage

It's 1:9, finished prepping remainder of my brass this afternoon. Back to waiting for another weather window as snow returns Thursday/Friday, then an arctic front moves in Sat night, highs drop to mid to upper teens and overnight lows near zero through at least middle of next week.

Good to hear your mold arrived, look forward to updates!

Basic Member
    You'll have the same problem with velocity that I will (1:8 twist). 2000fps will probably be fine. Will experiment a bit to see how fast it will hold up.

My 1:10 twist .308 holds up to just under 2100fps depending on powder being used (slower is better in it with heavy bullets).

Team Savage

I spent a lot of time researching CBA match reports for 6BR & 30BR, powders, primers, molds, twist rates, charge weights, alloys, velocities, and resultant groups. I focused on the competitive averages and used that info in my decision process and in running variables in QuickLoad.

From that, I was "pretty sure" ~2000fps was going to be a sweet spot, sure seems to be so far. :-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I spent a lot of time researching CBA match reports for 6BR & 30BR, powders, primers, molds, twist rates, charge weights, alloys, velocities, and resultant groups. I focused on the competitive averages and used that info in my decision process and in running variables in QuickLoad.

From that, I was "pretty sure" ~2000fps was going to be a sweet spot, sure seems to be so far. :-)
    I think the CBA website might be one of the most used resources I have. The other (for jacketed) is the International Benchrest site.

Yep, I find that my most accurate loads in the .308 are 1800-2000fps. My go to load right now with the 210gn bullet is 1950. The bonus is that long bullet is good for 500yd ranges. It is a little too slow for 600yd.

I'll be starting at 1900fps with the 6BR and work up until the groups enlarge, then back off 100 or 200 fps.

Team Savage

Settled on a powder yet, Varget maybe? Was either the most popular, or 2nd most, in my research for 6 & 30BR. I couldn't find any at the time but am not displeased with my results using N135 which was another frequently used powder.

Basic Member
    I will start with Varget. Depends on if I can reach the right powder density with it. My .308 cast does good with several different powders, including Varget.

Phil.....What is the length of your bullet, and what bullet profile ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

It's a spitzer profile, with gas check it is 1.175".

Basic Member
    Phil,

Tried some of the 108gn today just to get a feel for things. Sized to .244 with .238 nose. But, I'm a bit high on vel right now I think, 2100fps. The IMR4198 loads seemed a little better than the Varget but I only shot 10 of each. 5 shot groups, 2 1/2" and 3" at 200yd. Decent start for the first bullets out of the mold.

Team Savage

Sounds like you're getting there, 2 1/2" - 3" @ 200yds with the first boolits out of the mold is nice!

Shot a ladder Saturday some ok results with 24.4 - 25.0gr that playing with seating depth might improve, but 26gr, which is where I stopped, produced this...

Hard to believe 25.8gr opened up that much and how tight 26gr performed. Am going to load another ladder from 26 - 27gr in .2gr increments to confirm. 83rds down the tube at this point with zero leading and have completed barrel break-in.

Basic Member
    Small cases can provide some surprises. I got the 2100fps with only 17gn of 4198. Will be interesting to see what a ladder looks like.

Following.....

Where are yinz at in particular to jump or jamb for seating depth tests ??
    I would assume a good jamb with light neck tension would be forgiving.

I have a good 50 years of casting. I always thought about finding a good
    supply of half jackets for the 7's, but I'd go to a smaller case then the BR
    cases. My theory since the speeds are low, the BR case is not efficient.
    Always had my eyes on taking a 7.62x39 case and doing a 7mm half jacket.

Team Savage

I'm seating to an imprint of lands on the boolit, on a scale of light --> medium --> hard, imprints are mid-way between light & medium. Neck tension is higher than I want and will correct that after fireforming the remaining 30 or so cases.

Basic Member
    Depends on the bullet. I usually shoot bore riders. I size the nose such that it is an interference fit in the bore. If I pull a cartridge from the chamber I want to see even rifling marks around the nose of the bullet. When seating the first drive band is engaged in the throat/rifling. If shooting a non-bore rider I also seat it jammed into the rifling. One thing I am aware of when shooting is how hard the bolt is to close. If one round is too hard or not hard enough compared to the others I will shoot it at my sighter target. Sometimes it is just enough off to mess up a group.

I am shooting cast in my BR as a lark. Maybe I will get a decent load and maybe not. It is just too much of a twist rate for good higher velocity work. Not a big deal since I set it up for long range with heavy jacketed bullets.

FWIW, I am considering a new barrel to replace my .308 (1:10). If I want to go long range (600+ a little) it will be a 29 or 30" .30-06 with a 1:12 or 1:14 twist. If I want to stay with shorter range (l500yd and less) it will be a 26 or 28" .30BR with a 12 twist.

Team Savage

Have done some more testing and now have 101rds down the barrel. Turns out low 26gr range is looking pretty good. Will know more after my test session today, report to follow.

I've run gas checked, heat treated Lyman #2, lubed with WLL X-Lox 2500+ up to 2246fps without issue.

Basic Member
    Sounds like a decent 'spot'.

I am having too much fun with the Vtac bullets in the 6br right now. Will cast some more for it pretty soon. Meanwhile I have about 500 .308 bullets to load and shoot :)

Basic Member
    Fuj, it is certainly doable. There was a guy on the cast bullet forum who made up some cast for his .221 benchrest rifle. Not sure if he shot it at 200yd. He had some impressive groups with it.

Team Savage

Due to cascading error effect my session was a bust. Despite that, I have settled on 26.4gr as it produced the best group in my last session and best load statistics. Weather conditions suck thru Tuesday afternoon, if I can't shoot prior to, I'll load what's shot best so far and hope for the best.

Basic Member
    Well, I've had some mixed results with the 6BR, but, not better than 1.5MOA.

Varget was a bit erratic, but, I think I need to revisit it since it gave a bit lower vel with same volume charge as the IMR 4198 (which I have used successfully in the .308 with mid-velocity cast).

My first loads with 4198 were around 2200fps. This is on the high end of spin rate for this caliber. The 1-8 twist is the problem. I tried some lower loads and have a candidate at 16.7gn and 2120fps but relatively poor es/sd. 1.5-2MOA seems average for this load. Not great and still some bad fliers (typical of too high spin rate). When I went to lower loads the muzzle vel was very erratic. This is 100yd, squares are 1/2".

[IMG][/IMG]

So, am going to try Varget a little more and see what happens. I'd like to be in the 1800fps range.

A new guy at the range was shooting his Schuetzen rifle (breech seating). Sharps Borchardt action, .32-40. He was getting 0.3" and 0.4" groups at 100yd.

Team Savage

I haven't posted much but I've run into the same conundrum. What started off nice, went south. Barrel leaded up even shooting loads that produced good groups initially with boolits cast at the same time and no other change in components. Tried powder coat vs traditional lube but no improvement. Sat down with my targets and notes 2 weeks ago trying to figure out where things went bad, the only constant was a 100 - 150fps increase in MV, so I reduced charge weight to velocities that previously shot well without much improvement.

During last Saturday's match my best 5 shot group was 1.52" with an agg of 1.87", best 10 shot group was 2.4" with an agg of 3.32". Score was a dismal 162. Chono'd velocity with 25.4gr N135 averaged 2167fps with SD of 5.0 and ES of 16.

Recalled I was plagued by similar problems with my 6.5CM until I slowed it down so pulled the tech data from the 2021 CBA Nationals and found 10 competitors shot 30BR. Here's what I found:

9 of 10 used linotype
    8 used Fed 205M, 1 used Win SR and 1 used Win SP
    Avg barrel length - 24"
    Avg twist - 12
    Avg velocity - 1960fps
    Avg boolit weight - 194.7gr
    All competitors used lube and gas checks
    3 used Varget, 2 used A2495, 2 used N135, 1ea used N133, IMR3031, IMR8208

The grand national champion shot a 30BR with a 12T 24" Shilen using 207gr boolit over 29gr A2495, Fed 205M, at a chrono'd velocity of 1750fps.

I've re-run QL with the Ba factor adjusted to match actual chrono data at two low nodes with predicted velocties of 1821 & 1909fps. Had hoped to shoot this morning but is raining, maybe tomorrow if weather clears up.

RPM of my current load is over 173k, the new loads will drop rpm to 145k & 152k respectively and fully expect one or both to shoot well. Found a great deal on pure linotype direct from a printer for $1.45/lb delivered and have 110lbs enroute.
    Last edited by PhilC; 05-28-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Basic Member
    The RPM 'limit' is based on radius. For .308 it is around 144,000rpm. That means it is a little faster for smaller dia. The loads that my .308 shoots consistently well are in the 1800fps range. The only 'difficulty' I have is load density. Some powders do ok, some don't.

The .30BR rifles are usually slower twist which means they can go to higher velocities without incurring the penalty of RPM effects. It really does seem the 'normal' .30BR barrels are ideal for cast bullets. Looking at folks who shoot them with jacketed it seems to be a very forgiving cartridge.

For now I'll just keep shooting my .308 with cast and leave the 6mm alone for a while.

I think you will be better off with those slower loads, if you can find a powder combination that works.

Team Savage

I agree. Only way to know will be to load and shoot, maybe this week if weather and time permit.

Still following.....

It's still aways down the road before I might decide but, My thinking since casting
    bazillions of pistol bullets, my idea would be to go for a much fatter style of bullet.
    Maybe do a 30 cal with a smaller case, more like the 30 major/Grendel. Get that
    powder charge way down but fast. It's possible the BR case is just too much capacity ??
    Just thinking out load !!. Maybe also something short and shaped like one of Robinett's
    30's. Thinking maybe, the least amount of twist I could get away with, and the least
    amount of grooves, and hang a tuner on the end.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast