Thread: Model 12 Single shot

Model 12 Single shot

I have an older Savage, made sometime around 2001. I'm trying to find some information on it but I'm either not looking in the right place or there's nothing out there, which I find hard to believe. On the barrel is ( factory barrel) Savage Model 12 .223 Rem. It is a single shot action with a flat top on the rear of the action. Any help would be appreciated.

Banned
    Not sure what you are looking for? You know the year it was made, you know the caliber. You can measure barrel length and all. What exactly would you like to know? I can tell you, being a single shot, it’s a Target Action. But I’m not sure what exactly you want to know.

Team Savage
    Dave I have a Savage Model 12 single shot made , I believe , in 2004 { no flat top }

It's the model 12 Varminter Low Profile in .223 1x9 twist

Original barrel was fluted and as I see in another thread you are asking about McGowen barrels .

I replaced the original barrel after... people laugh ... 10,000 rounds with a McGowen 1x9 and it is a bug hole shooter .

Only draw back with this particular McGowen is that the original Savage 1x9 bug holed with my favorite 69 gr. Sierras and the 1/9 McGowen isn't as fond of them as it is 53 grainers ....

I only shoot 100 yds any more anyway so I'm still showing off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Dave I have a Savage Model 12 single shot made , I believe , in 2004 { no flat top }

It's the model 12 Varminter Low Profile in .223 1x9 twist

Original barrel was fluted and as I see in another thread you are asking about McGowen barrels .

I replaced the original barrel after... people laugh ... 10,000 rounds with a McGowen 1x9 and it is a bug hole shooter .

Only draw back with this particular McGowen is that the original Savage 1x9 bug holed with my favorite 69 gr. Sierras and the 1/9 McGowen isn't as fond of them as it is 53 grainers ....

I only shoot 100 yds any more anyway so I'm still showing off.

LOL! No, I wasn’t asking about them. Someone asked about Prefit barrel options & I simply mentioned McGowen as an option. I’m very familiar with them myself. But appreciate it.

Basic Member
    I would not laugh at 10k rounds. My Axis .223 barrel had almost 5k rounds and was still accurate, even when too hot to touch. Still have it in the box in case I want to use it again, along with 100 new Lapua cases. The first hundred proved capable of 25 reloads and were still good.

Basic Member
    It's not a target action if it was made in 2001. It's just a single shot varmint rifle, with a 4.275" screw spacing. Target actions didn't come out till 2006 on the LRPV's.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Definitely not a target action. But was one of the most sought after Savage actions to build off of till the target action was introduced.

Thank you. I just had never seen one before this one, and I have a number of Savages, including 2 of their modern target actions. Also the fact there was no letter designation for the model kind of threw me.