Thread: Savage Model 12 Stock Options

Savage Model 12 Stock Options

Hello,

I recently rebarreled a Savage Model 12 with a blind magazine that is stagger feed to 6mmCM.

The gun shoots good, it doesn’t feed the best. It is an accutrigger model with the 4.4 spacing and top bolt release.

I am wondering what I can do to help it feed better.

would it be possible to switch to an Oryx Chassis to help with the feeding issue?

any tips to help it feed better without having to swap out the stock? It’s a great shooter and I really don’t want to have to change too much to it

Basic Member
    What is the specific issue with feeding?

Banned
    Im thinking you likely are experiencing the very noted Creedmoor problem. It’s plagued 6.5 CM Savage owners for years! Luckily, there is an easy fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IaQcaDMYDU&t=11s

It could also be magazine related. Replacing the stock with a Chassis & going AICS may well stop the problem, however, simply adjusting the magazine feed lips may also do the same. I would perform the Ejector mod outlined in the video first, as this is a known issue with the Creedmoor case.

However, if you simply WANT ​the Oryx, go for it! It’s a great Chassis. If the problem still exists, it’s still a simple fix.

Dave, thank you, I will take a look at that video.

And to answer the question above, sometimes it won’t even pick up a shell it’ll just slide over, other times it’ll go half way and then kinda “jam” up and you’ll have to pull the bolt back to and reengage the shell to get it to go the rest of the way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davenport9 View Post
    Dave, thank you, I will take a look at that video.

And to answer the question above, sometimes it won’t even pick up a shell it’ll just slide over, other times it’ll go half way and then kinda “jam” up and you’ll have to pull the bolt back to and reengage the shell to get it to go the rest of the way.

Yes, that is precisely the problem with Creedmoor Savages. It’s a very well known & documented issue. The Ejector modification will solve the issue 100%. The video does a fine job showing the fix. If you have any trepidation in doing it yourself, any DIY’er who is familiar with Savages will be able to perform the mod.