Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Howa 1500 not repeating accuracy

Basic Member

New Howa 1500 not repeating accuracy

My Son just bought a Howa 1500 the American flag edition ( black and white).
    It came with a Nikko Sterling scope.
    We got it sighted in pretty close, but it doesn't repeat, and we have tried several different types of factory ammo, and loaded a few handloads.
    It will sometimes put 2 bullets thru the same hole, and then proceed to scatter a 4" grouping at 100 yards.
    We tried shooting with the bipod, then went to rolled up bath towels.
    We even removed the muzzle brake to see if that helped.
    I'm wanting to take the rifle out of it's chassis, and see what it looks like ( maybe some chips in there from machining).
    My next thought is to change out the scope to a different one.
    Anything else I should try or check out?
    Thanks,
    Jack

Banned
    Hey Jack, I’m sure there are other members who have vastly more “hands on” Howa experience than myself. However, accuracy (or rather inaccuracy), problems generally follow many of the same modus operandi.

For starters, has this been with only one type off ammunition or have you already tried several brands, types, etc.? What you mentioned about removing from the chassis: Yes.. that is a good idea definitely! In addition, I encourage people with new or used rifles to always loosen & remove the the scope & rings, check the base screws & retorque everything to proper specs themselves! But yes, check the chassis for flashing material or extra material at the seems in the bedding.

Honestly, the kind of inconsistencies you are getting sounds like scope and/or mounting problems. So that’s precisely where I’d start.

Basic Member
    Dave, we tried about 6 different brands of ammo, different grain, etc
    About an hour ago we took a scope off of another rifle that we know is good, and it scattered shots , also.

Is the action tight in the chassis? Is the base tight to the action? Have you tried 175 grain match ammo. Take your phone and video the trigger pull and see if there is any jerking or hard trigger squeeze going on.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

is it the same shots that are touching? first and second? second and third?
    is this a light weight barrel?
    time between shots?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    Are you getting same results without the brake? Did you already separate the action & stock then check for any extra material as you had mentioned? And as both I & Robin pointed out, make certain the Action screws are torqued.

Basic Member
    On a Howa the front action screw bolts into the recoil lug. So make sure the lug is seated flat against the chassis...otherwise you put stress onto the receiver when tightened down. Had to bed the lug with epoxy in a GRS stock one time, cut group size in half.

Basic Member
    I pulled the action out and everything looks good.
    I was sure to pull the recoil lug back and seat against the stock.
    This being an APC chassis, there isn't much contact area. Just a 2 small pillars a little bit larger than the mounting screws, and the recoil tang.
    When we took the muzzle brake off, center of impact shifted about 10" left constantly.
    The barrel is free-floating with a handguard similar to an AR.
    We went thru Winchester 150 grain white box, Armscorp, Remington Corelokt, Hornady Match 168 boat tail, Federal Sierra Matchking 168 premium, Black Hills, etc.
    We went thru the break in process as described and watched a guy on YouTube describe it, too.
    As far as trigger control, I would doubt that being a difference.
    We both get the same results from this rifle, and have a 112 Savage .223 that groups .5", a 110 Savage tactical.308 that shoots one hole, and a Ruger American 300blk that groups decent.
    I really hate to start bedding this gun, because it's only 7 weeks old and Howa guaranteed 1 MOA right out of the box.
    We have an email to Howa and will see what they say.

Also, after break in, he cleaned it after every 20-30 rounds.
    Hoppes #9, and patched it until the patches came out clean.

Thanks for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal1966 View Post
    I pulled the action out and everything looks good.
    I was sure to pull the recoil lug back and seat against the stock.
    This being an APC chassis, there isn't much contact area. Just a 2 small pillars a little bit larger than the mounting screws, and the recoil tang.
    When we took the muzzle brake off, center of impact shifted about 10" left constantly.
    The barrel is free-floating with a handguard similar to an AR.
    We went thru Winchester 150 grain white box, Armscorp, Remington Corelokt, Hornady Match 168 boat tail, Federal Sierra Matchking 168 premium, Black Hills, etc.
    We went thru the break in process as described and watched a guy on YouTube describe it, too.
    As far as trigger control, I would doubt that being a difference.
    We both get the same results from this rifle, and have a 112 Savage .223 that groups .5", a 110 Savage tactical.308 that shoots one hole, and a Ruger American 300blk that groups decent.
    I really hate to start breeding this gun, because it's only 7 weeks old and Howa guaranteed 1 MOA right out of the box.
    We have an email to Howa and will see what they say.

Thanks for all the info
    Welp. I suggest sell it and get a savage. Sounds like the barrel is crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I was just gonna say… this is why Savages consistently outshoot most any of the other manufacturers. The true reason they are so hated on so many Forums. LOL!

No, seriously, I hate to say but it sounds like you may just have a dud.. Probably barrel related. It happens. I do know the model & they are very nice. I toyed with playing with Howa, and some years back I was looking at that model, then at the Barreled Actions, which are a great deal! But I’m a Savage 10/110 Loyalist, through & through.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the info a d suggestions.
    We'll put the scope back on that came with it and attempt to get it sighted in where it was.
    Then send it back.
    I'm not a fan of that Nikko scope anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal1966 View Post
    Update?

Try shooting and let it be... let it foul up some.

I don't clean my rifle bores until accuracy degrades noticeably. I've gone as much as 350 rounds between "real" cleaning, just a very light oil patch after range sessions and good notes.

Basic Member
    We sent it back. Waiting on an answer .

I know a guy that has one of these. To get match type groups, he handloads. He also uses a rear bag/rest.

Banned
    Well, I’m sure you’ll be able to get some fine accuracy from it in the future; after Howa maybe fixes it, or it wears in perhaps… But unfortunately Howa’s are not Savages. While being quite capable, having a smooth Action & Feeding and even being referred to (from time to time), as the “Improved Rem 700”, they aren’t readily known for outstanding factory accuracy, from the box! Decent, even very good, sure. But not typically outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well, I’m sure you’ll be able to get some fine accuracy from it in the future; after Howa maybe fixes it, or it wears in perhaps… But unfortunately Howa’s are not Savages. While being quite capable, having a smooth Action & Feeding and even being referred to (from time to time), as the “Improved Rem 700”, they aren’t readily known for outstanding factory accuracy, from the box! Decent, even very good, sure. But not typically outstanding.
    How did you come to this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    How did you come to this conclusion?
    LOL Learned it on the internet LOL
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    LOL Learned it on the internet LOL
    Your killing me Blue!

Basic Member
    Update!!!!
    We got the rifle back in late September.
    Howa didn't charge anything, and said there wasn't anything wrong with the rifle??
    We got it out and shot .625 groups immediately.
    Then, went to some of the supreme ammo that it wouldn't shoot accurately before, and it shoots 1 ragged hole at 100 yards.
    Their warranty said if nothing is wrong , they charge a service fee.
    When we checked after a few months of them having it, they always claimed there was too much wind at their facility to test.
    There are wrench marks in certain places that tell they had the gun apart.
    The scope mount rings, they cross threaded the sunshade, the elevation turret retaining screw was almost stripped, etc.
    We had switch scopes with a known good scope before giving up and sending it in.
    Whatever they did , fixed it.
    But, I will never own another Howa rifle.

Just letting everyone know.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Also, they had the rifle from February until September.

Banned
    Years ago I seriously considered building a Howa 1500 instead of a Savage 110. In the end I stayed loyal to my trusted Savage & very glad I did.

Basic Member
    I bought a nice savage with a heavy barrel. It was half the price of my Son's rifle.
    Out of the box,it will keep up with his.
    He's starting to agree with this old man on some things .

Team Savage
    Thats a shame. I have had a couple Howa and with a little tinkering they were good shooters.
    i might have missed the caliber, what caliber is it .

Basic Member
    It's a .308. We had a local company send it back for us, and they said that's why they didn't carry Howa. Because of the warranty work and customer service.
    The only local place that carries them is Academy Sports.

Never buy a howa/Niko Sterling combo. Many think Howa is a better build than a Remington.

Basic Member
    I've heard since this purchase that most buy just the Howa rifle, and get their own preferred scope .
    I haven't seen anyone that is very proud of these scopes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast