Thread: .375 JDJ barrel question

Basic Member

.375 JDJ barrel question

I just bought a 14” TC Custom Shop barrel in .375 JDJ and was wondering if it is worth it to have it either Magnaported or the SSK Arrestor muzzle brake installed?

I don’t have experience with either of those, but I did have a different style of integral brake on my 375 JDJ, and I don’t think I’d want to have one without some sort of brake with the recoil that cartridge produces.

Basic Member
    You might have to shoot it and see how the recoil is. I would not want to shoot my 358 jdj , with a max load of reloder 7 and a 200 grain Hornady ,without my arrestor brake.

Mine was magna ported and manageable. I would go with one or the other.

Team Savage
    Upper-end loads will be brutal without some sort of recoil-reduction. I've always liked the looks of Mag-na-Porting versus the addition of an external brake, but that is just personal preference.

Basic Member
    I've had 338, 358, & .375jdj's, along with a few 45/70's in various configuartions, both ported & non ported.

Magnaporting looks better than the big clunky brakes, and helped reduce muzzle flip, but didnt seem to diminish straight back recoil as much.

I have the Arrestor brakes by SSK on a couple of my boomers, and they helped reduce both flip AND straight back recoil, but also noticeably increased muzzle blast & the shockwave you feel. (painfully loud!)

I can tell you with the brake on my 16", all the recoil comes straight back, with no muzzle rise at all, in an instant of time. I would happily trade some of that "straight back" for a small bit of muzzle rise. I'm shooting 270 gr Hornady's over a full load, and the recoil is extremely brisk, and all straight back into the webbing of my hand.

This is the style brake I have, from SSK, I believe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C04.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	9120
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Go with the SSK arrestor brake its very effective! Like Gerald said above the mag-na-porting really only reduces muzzle rise, I've had experiences with both. I had the arrestor brake on a 338-06 JDJ and felt recoil was very mild.

I've shot both and currently enjoy an Encore with arrestor brake. Very effective with recoil reduction - gun pushes back rather than an obnoxious muzzle rise.

Basic Member
    IMO, you want a brake. I bought the arrestor years ago and it works. It is a loud gun, so not sure if that is all brake or mostly just it being a big short gun. That said, it is a bit small and the ports are a bit small to be the most effective. A bigger brake could be more effective, but likely much heavier.

Basic Member
    A brake does not make the gun louder it just redirects the sound in a different direction.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodAl View Post
    A brake does not make the gun louder it just redirects the sound in a different direction.
    A brake does indeed make the sound of the shot louder as escaping gasses contribute to intensity of the noise.

Here's an interesting article that actually measured how much louder certain setups were when compared to a non-braked gun.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...es-sound-test/

Basic Member
    I have a factory 375 JDJ barrel also that dont have a break. If i did want something i will probably go with magnaporting. That is what i have on my 358 JDJ barrel. If i did go to a brake it would probably be a witt brake but i dont want the extra noise.

Interesting article. To Al’s point, the author measured decibels to side and rear. To get a true measurement, you would need to measure the decibels levels forward of the muzzle to determine if the noise is actually louder or just redirected.

Hopefully no one ever hears the noise personally from the front of a muzzle ☹️

Team Savage
    There was a study done a couple decades ago, and the intensity was measured forward of the muzzle. Tomorrow, I'll see if it is online anywhere and will post when I find it. The difference was not nearly as huge as when measured in the other study, but it was detectable.

Not necessary Bobby, because in actuality, brakes are louder to the shooter and any shooting buddies. To me, the reduction in recoil far offsets the increased noise level.