Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: light primer strikes.. new guy

Banned

Hmm, not really..

Basic Member
    LOL. yea i believe they will. I have the bolt all back together tonight and i checked out the accutrigger and turned it to lowest setting. seems to be functioning ok. Breaks at 3 and half pounds. will need to change that spring eventually. get it down to 2 pounds or less... Gonna load up the neck sized brass next time and see what happens.

MY 2¢, which ain't worth even 1¢ is that rebated rim cartridges are prone to soft strikes, having been overly sized in the FL die.
    Ammo was not stated as reloaded but I experienced similar disappointments when making 35 Whelen from 30-06 brass and kissing the die with the shellholder
    I'm grumpy too when that happens.

Basic Member
    Hey guys since i have the gun apart and have been checking out the accutrigger. the trigger return spring preload, is that something i can check while i have it apart or should i not worry about it at this point. I do have a lighter factory spring i am going to install if i can.

Banned
    Sure you can… just check it! The trigger will be at lowest preload when set to it’s shortest adjustment.

Team Savage
    As far as FTF or light primer strikes, I don't have those issues. All rounds are loaded with the bullets seated INTO THE LANDS.
    That holds the case head against the bolt face so it doesn't get pushed forward by the firing pin in the chamber.
    And at the same time, the case will be fire formed to the chamber.
    Care is taken NOT to push the case shoulder back when resizing and have the same situation come up again.
    I know I can have problems pulling a live round with the bullet stuck in the lands and dumping powder in the action. I plan ahead.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    ok thanks guys

if it is in fact a case headspace issue, take a fired case, put a piece of scotch tape on the head and trim it even with the head. place it in the chamber and see if the bolt closes. If so repeat with a second layer. Repeat until the bolt will not close. 2 pieces means you are probably over sizing your brass. Get back with us on your findings. There is a path.....
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Hey guys.... update.. no misfires on the neck sized brass. and trigger breaks at like 1 and half pounds with target spring. so thats cool.......... one wierd thing though.... at 25 yards i could only get up about a inch high before my turret topped out...I just put a brand new riton x1 conquer target 6 x 24 x 50 scope on it today. I checked the scope when i got home and it has 236 clicks from top to bottom. that is like 59 MOA. also the scope is sitting pretty high. it has talley rings on it and i have at least a quarter inch of clearance from front of scope to the barrel. I also checked the level. and scope is sitting level. so i guess see what happens at the 100 yard range.. more to be revealed next time!!

Basic Member
    For a 100yd zero you should be about 1" low at 25yd. Remember, the bullet starts out about 1.5" below the scope line of sight.

But, if you plan on long range you'll need more adjustment. Are you sure the mounts are made for your rifle? Or, did someone put a 20moa rail on it and then install it backwards? The scope body should be either parallel to the receiver or low at the front.

Basic Member
    yea, hey charlie.. Yea its wierd. so i came home and ran the top turret up and down like 235 clicks... They are a one piece base and ring set up. Talley.. They are tall. measured from reciever to scope. like ... .79 or around 7/8 tall. both seem same height. i chronod my loads with 230 Eld,s x bullets. super slow right now. like 2300 fps. Been playing with a powder called IMR 7383. I need to be at 2700 for 1000 yard shot. which means i need to get up to at least 17 or 20 inches high at 100 yards. gonna load some 4064 next time and see what chrono tells me.. and go to the 100 yard range. whatever i am doing wrong its something simple or stupid or both..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyoldguy View Post
    yea, hey charlie.. Yea its wierd. so i came home and ran the top turret up and down like 235 clicks... They are a one piece base and ring set up. Talley.. They are tall. measured from reciever to scope. like ... .79 or around 7/8 tall. both seem same height. i chronod my loads with 230 Eld,s x bullets. super slow right now. like 2300 fps. Been playing with a powder called IMR 7383. I need to be at 2700 for 1000 yard shot. which means i need to get up to at least 17 or 20 inches high at 100 yards. gonna load some 4064 next time and see what chrono tells me.. and go to the 100 yard range. whatever i am doing wrong its something simple or stupid or both..
    https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...-help.3996370/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyoldguy View Post
    yea, hey charlie.. Yea its wierd.....whatever i am doing wrong its something simple or stupid or both..
    That's usually the way it goes with me as well. :)

This a 338 win mag. That round head spaces off of the belt. I have had a similar situation with a Rem. 700 that was fixed with new firing pin spring. If the gun had been rebarreled or apart I would wonder if they did not headspace it correctly. If you are using mag primers which I would guess you are and the head spacing is a little long that might cause some light strike but would just replace the spring myself.

Team Savage

The only time the belt matters is the first firing of new brass. After that, sizing the brass just like any other rimless cartridge negates the belt completely. I've done this with my belted mags since the early 90s and have zero headspace issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12