Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light primer strikes.. new guy

Basic Member

light primer strikes.. new guy

Hey barrel nut guys. I picked up a model 111 in 338 Win mag. used but not fired. I liked it because it had a crazy looking muzzle break. [ JP eliminator] like a tank muzzle. I had 2 other savages before but they had issues so i sold em. THis one i would like to keep for a while if i can work out the kinks. I have been reloading for 41 years now, so i know a few tricks... I think the gun is only a few years old. First time out had a lot of misfires. I tightened the back allen nut up and next time only had one misfire out of thirty. The pin protrusion is .48 to .52 i believe. I took bolt apart and its got a sleeve behind the firing pin that holds the cocking pin. no other springs. behind the firing pin. The spring measures 2.6 compressed as it is. While i had firing pin out i checked my brass. full length and necked sized. Head spacing looks fine..with both brass. What do you think?? I may not have any misfires with the neck sized brass. pin looks adjustable so i could let it out like 0.005 more protrusion?? or weak spring??? maybe?? i shoot steel from 400 to 1000 with my 708 varmint special, but hard to see steel move and no one is allowed downrange. So thats why i picked this 338 win mag up. Thanks Guys

Banned
    I don’t understand.. In your first line you said you bought a Savage 111 in 338 WinMag that is “used but not fired”. But then go on to say “first time out had a lot of misfires”.

So number one, which story is it? Number two, don’t add more pin protrusion. It’s already too much. Should be about .035” or so.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I don’t understand.. In your first line you said you bought a Savage 111 in 338 WinMag that is “used but not fired”. But then go on to say “first time out had a lot of misfires”.

So number one, which story is it? Number two, don’t add more pin protrusion. It’s already too much. Should be about .035” or so.
    Sounds like the gun had a previous owner who never fired it.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Sounds like the gun had a previous owner who never fired it.
    Or it never fired and he sold it.

Is that a factory brake or someone paid to change it and then claimed they never shot it?

If the trigger is adj wrong, it can cause drag on the firing pin during release and slow its travel speed.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    It doesn’t matter what happened to someone else, and there is no point in speculation. The OP needs to shoot the rifle himself before anything. Never change things based on hearsay & speculation. Shoot the firearm first & go from there.

Basic Member
    OP stated that the last time he had it out it misfired once in 30 rounds.

What primers?

A little story. My Axis has around 5000 rounds on it now. >4000 with the original .223 barrel and another 1000 with the .308 barrel from my 12BVSS (and a used replacement bolt head). Never had any misfires. Used Remington 7 1/2BR primers in the .223. The .308 has used CCI BR-4, CCI std, Fed Match and now Win.

Since changing to the Win primers (only 300 rounds) I have had at least 10 failures to fire on the first strike. Recock and it fires on the second strike. Happens at least once every 50 rounds (yesterday, it happened twice). The brass is neck size only (Lee collet die).

Next time out will go back to the match primers to see if that is the difference.

I had heard that Win primers had harder cups, like the CCI military primers. Not sure if that is just a rumor or not. I do know that Win primers are a little hotter in order to more reliably ignite the Win ball powders.

Team Savage
    "I have been reloading for 41 years now, so i know a few tricks"??
    Have you checked the OAL of your brass? Too short, gets pushed forward by the firing pin and you get light strikes OR FTF.
    Me? Start there. KISS.
    Too short, pull the bullets to a jam. That will hold the bullets against the bolt head. Once they go BANG, make sure you don't push the shoulders back 'too far' and end up with the same thing all over again.
    You've got to start somewhere??
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    OAL not the issued, but, too much shoulder set back in sizing could be.

Banned
    Guys. He hasn’t even shot the rifle yet.

Basic Member
    Guys, “READ” Post #1 !!

OP, WELCOME!! Help is forthcoming !

Banned
    LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyoldguy View Post
    Hey barrel nut guys .First time out had a lot of misfires. I tightened the back Allen nut up and next time only had one misfire out of thirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Guys. He hasn’t even shot the rifle yet.
    But he has Dave! And if the screw was loose, someone has been in there! That's why were questioning the as new unfired condition.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    "...First time out had a lot of misfires. I tightened the back allen nut up and next time only had one misfire out of thirty...."

Banned
    Ahh, yes, I see now. My apologies. (Because I can actually admit a mistake). I misunderstood his initial comment. And he’s not been back as of yet.

I agree with Charlie… OAL in itself won’t cause it, only too much shoulder set back. We don’t know anything about the loads being used, but the OP did comment of his 41yrs of reloading… (that’s like over 287 Dog years!) So doubt it’s that.

What does the firing pin look like? Good radius? Again, don’t add more pin protrusion, rather take some out… bring it to around the .035” mark & check the pin fall. Adequate? When dry firing, does the striker pin make a quite pronounced actuation “thunk”, or does it sound muffled? Like it’s not very a very powerful strike movement.

Team Savage
    (OAL not the issue, but, too much shoulder set back in sizing could be)
    Should have said the OAL of the CASE!! (Duh) Comes down to "brass headspace" issue NOT the chamber.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

If you have not cleaned the inside of the bolt, clean it and leave it dry when you assemble it..see if that helps. Sometimes lubricant can evaporate and slow things down. Also when you say misfire, are you describing failure to fire(FTF)? Is the primer dented on the FTF or not? If not it is the accutrigger and you might need to increase the trigger return spring preload.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Hey guys I tried to post my thread the first time . keeps telling me i dont have permission

Basic Member
    Any way. I had it all typed in and it said I wasnt logged in. so it didnt post. I will try again tomorrow. So iread everything you guys said . and i will try to reply again tomorrow. Is there a time limit to reply because i get logged out automaticaly it seems like. So maybe my post was to long.. so for starters... I have shot the gun twice , 30 rounds each. the gun was bought used, never fired. i do believe it hadnt been fired when i got it . I installed the JP brake on it before i shot it. Now i think maybe the bolt has been taken apart because the back nut was loose.

Basic Member
    trying shorter posts, seemed to be working better now.. so yea all the primers have been hit that i shot. even the ones with the loose back nut the first time out. so the pin looks fine ... all parts look new in bolt. Dont think its a brass issue . full length brass measured fine in the chamber. next time out will be all neck sized brass so will be nice and snug.. Havent looked at trigger yet. you guys will have to teach me about that. could be the issuebeen long time since i looked at accutrigger. had one when they first came out. a 22-250. changed the spring out for lighter one.

Basic Member
    so since i shot first 30 rounds with a loose back nut on bolt maybe spring got stretched out???thats a thought. firing pin still feels a little slow when i dry fire. so i think if i have a misfire with the neck sized brass then its definitly the spring or trigger. the pin looks great. shape is good .like new. all parts are clean. if the bolt has been messed with then maybe trigger has been jacked with too

Basic Member
    You guys will have to tell me how to troubleshoot the trigger. eventually i will want to be around 2 pounds for target shooting. The previous owner bought it to go bear hunting but never went. the JP eliminator was nib . I put it on. it was bored out for the 338 bullet. works amazing. Cant go back to range this weekend, i will be stuck in town on call with work, so , but i can check out the trigger, so let me know on that one

Basic Member
    PPs .I have never had a issue with certain brands of primers not firing. I have Federal, winchester, CCI and remington. All of them go off in my model 70 guns and my model 700 guns, and everything else i have owned. the savage should do the same..

Banned
    The problem very well could have been the loose BAS (Bolt Action Screw), at the back of the bolt you found. That screw properly preloads the assembly. I would try it again to check.

Ahh, yes, I see now. My apologies. (Because I can actually admit a mistake).
    "Never apologize. It's a sign of weakness." Rule# 6 Special Agent Jethro Gibbs NCIS.

Welcome Grumpyoldguy. These guys will eventually get you squared away...eventually.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    "Never apologize, mister, It's a sign of weakness."
    John Wayne from She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, 1949.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast