Thread: Savage 110S Silhouette

Savage 110S Silhouette

I have been a long time fan of Savage and have a various number of keepers that we found over the years. However there was a specific rifle I was always on the lookout for, a 110S in 308. In the late 1980s I started playing with cast bullets for rifles as I had been shooting cast in handguns since about 1978. My first attempts with rifles met with moderate success, in fact, the best shooting cast bullet rifle I had was an old 340 Savage I got for under $100 that shot great but looked like it was bounced in the back of the flatbed with the logging chains. There was a good work buddy that had experience shooting cast in rifles and he gave me a number of tips that all helped me out. So one day he asked me to meet him after work and he opens up his car and there was a Savage Silhouette rifle and some cast bullets. He gave me a load to try in his rifle so I could see better accuracy with the cast rounds. That Savage shot the cast rounds so well I joked with Bill that I was not going to give the rifle back. Ever since then I wanted to get a 308 Silhouette but either I could not find one or did not have the spare money to buy when I did locate one. Well we located one and its condition is like new. The serial number places it about 1978 but from the looks of the rifle and optics, it was shot little if at all. I look forward to getting it to the range and I will follow up when I do.

Banned
    Nice little story. Thank you for sharing. Rifle looks great.

Very nice, great condition for the age.

Basic Member
    I shot Silhouette for a few year and used a 700 Varmint Special in 7-08. What scope is on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I shot Silhouette for a few year and used a 700 Varmint Special in 7-08. What scope is on this one?
    That was a big bonus. It is a USA made Burris 6x24 with target turrets. It also has Burris dual dovetail bases and rings.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    That was a big bonus. It is a USA made Burris 6x24 with target turrets. It also has Burris dual dovetail bases and rings.
    I shot a Weaver T16 and at times wished I had 20 or 24 power but I did ok. It was right at the end of Chin Guns before they were disallowed. I got to shoot with Tubbs and all I can say is it was an honor to watch him shoot.
    Each target was centerpunched as if he was shooting from a bench and with just enough energy to "push" the steel straight back a foot or so and just fall off the platform.

Basic Member
    Nice package. .308 is really nice with cast bullets too. If you have not been there, try the Cast Boollit forum. My favorite load is a 210gn bullet at about 2000fps. A bit over MOA at 500yd.

I was never that good standing. Don't know why as sitting and kneeling I was OK. You guys that do the silhouette thing have talent.