Thread: MINI CALLS

aimatit

MINI CALLS

I am just starting to try calling coyote. I have experience at spring turkey calling. When I spring hunt I don't call loudly. I know predator calling is a whole different game. I would appreciate opinions concerning the use of MINI calls ,such as the CASS CREEK MINI or NOMAD series.

Basic Member

Re: MINI CALLS

Theres still a lot to know before that question can be answered, is it mountains, or brush or desert or plains?
    One of the best mouth mini calls i have is from western rivers, it's just a cheap little squeaker type that travels a long ways even in high winds. blue

aimatit

Sir, Location is in the eastern US. Mostly wooded ridges with small overgrown meadows. The type of situation that would be encountered mostly would allow for calling across hollows, if walking the distance could be several hundered yards, however by aclling across the way the crow flys that distance is shortened reatly. I know the yotes are here I can hear them from my porch in the evenings about or right after dark.

Bad Water Bill

We have a site here called WHERE DO YOU LIVE. I go there all the time to find members that are in my area. Why so many people are afraid to mention what state they live in is beyond me. pdog06 and I go there to welcome new members to our shootouts. You could have a member here that lives the next town over that would be glad to help but eastern US covers to much area to be bothered with.

I an not trying to be nasty just suggesting a way for you to get more help and information for your dime.

Toney

I bought a Cass Creek call never had any luck with it.

possum1

Try the mp3. work's great plenty of volume, also cheap to make. http://www.predatormastersforums.com...eecaller.shtml

aimatit

Badwater B, Just can't bring myself to tell where my favorite fishin hole is, nor my favored huntin spot and, certainly not anything about my Dream Gal. LOL

Basic Member

Well i can relate to that. I do have a cass creek and it will work at certain times of the year. My mouth calls work all year, your area sounds like it would be good for almost any of the closed reed calls that are out there. It's easier to learn to call with a mouth call than you think, you just need to start. A squeaker will carry that 200yds with no problem, the last time i used my squeaker there was a 30mph wind coming my way, the dog was upwind at 160yds and came out of the trees twice before i got the shot.

Just get a couple of closed reed calls and start practicing, remember the key is not to call to loud, just because we can't hear it doesn't mean they can't. And remember, there has to be a dog there to hear it before it can come in. One more thing, most predators will try to flank you as they come in, with paired up dogs it will be the female coming up behind you while you watch the male in front of you. blue

aimatit

Blue, I like the way you keep one eye in the back of your head, In the spring a Five year old Tom will often times flank ya, or try to sneak in the back door and have a peek at that little ole hen thats making all the fuss. Now if I can just get the Yotes to play. Thanks for the reply. Aimatit

Basic Member

Here we're overrun with mountain lions, if you don't keep something at your back, or look behind you your going to get hurt. You can use a simple little stickon spot mirror on a ace bandage on your hand to look behind you, that way theres not as much movement as turning around. Movement is another thing that will give you away very quickly, you have to be able to sit still or you will get busted and the hunts over. blue

Basic Member

Great topic. I live in S.E. Pennsylvania, about 30 miles west of Phila.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Basic Member

Forget those mini callers they are all JUNK.
    You will have to step up with at least a Flextone ER1 or better, or you can make your own.
    This is what I have owned/call with.
    Foxpro Fury....best one out there or close to it. MSP...$600 or $480 if you look hard or have a gunshop get you one.
    Flextone ER1....$188 to $140. I sent it back yesterday for a refund as the 3rd time out I got distortion in all ranges and on all my sounds. IMO it was cruddy!
    Back to the Foxpro Fury for me.
    Or buy a few hand calls and learn to use them...I am 95% a mouth caller & use the electronic calls in conjunction when calling.