Thread: Savage 110 PCS...barrel/bolt swap?

Basic Member

Savage 110 PCS...barrel/bolt swap?

I thought I had read somewhere, it may have been on the SP forums, that someone had rebarreled their 110 PCS. I have the .223, and while I like it and it's shooting good, I've got other 10" .223's (Contender and AR). I'm thinking about rebarreling it, but I'm curious if anyone had changed out the bolt in one? I know they use large shank barrels, but does anyone know if they use standard right hand bolts? I know they are left hand bolt, but they are still right hand eject so I would think they would use right hand bolts...

Don't have to change out the whole bolt assembly, just the bolt head needs changed in most cases. If going to a short mag the front baffle and firing pin assembly will need to be changed as well.

Been so long since I'd dinked around with a Striker that I can't recall which 'hand' the various parts in the mix were so I'll leave that for someone with a fresher memory to answer.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Don't have to change out the whole bolt assembly, just the bolt head needs changed in most cases. If going to a short mag the front baffle and firing pin assembly will need to be changed as well.

Been so long since I'd dinked around with a Striker that I can't recall which 'hand' the various parts in the mix were so I'll leave that for someone with a fresher memory to answer.
    Yeah, I meant bolt head when I typed "bolt" in the original post...typing faster than my mind can formulate lol

I believe the "hand"ness of the bolt is based on how it ejects...right side eject is a right hand bolt, left hand eject is a left hand bolt. But I would love clarification on that before I dive into buying parts...

If these are setup like the Strikers were (which it appear that they are) you would use a standard right hand bolt head. The lugs are machined into the action in a left hand configuration but the bolt head is RH thus giving you the left bolt right eject setup. With yours being setup from the factory as a 223 I would venture to say that you just need to change the bolt head and the baffle to a standard RH setup in the cartridge class of your preference and of course change mag as needed. At least that is how it should be barring any unknown (to me) variable specific to the PCS. Not sure why you would need to change the firing pin, however these likely have the newer style firing pins than what I have so maybe there is something there I don't know....
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM