Thread: What is your most accurate rim fire rifle and what ammo does it like best?

Pete K.

What is your most accurate rim fire rifle and what ammo does it like best?

The topic says it all.
    What is your most accurate rim fire rifle?

What ammunition, manufacturer and brand?

How do you use it most often... Target, hunting, plinking?

If used for target shooting at what distance and what size target?

Where are you buying it and for how much? Do you know what the typical freight costs are?

What are your typical results, groups, game kills, pictures??

The more pictures the better. We all like pictures of rifles and targets if possible.

Thanks..

Pete K.

I'll start;

1955 Winchester model 75T, Lapua Center X, $90.00 per brick of 500 plus $9.42 freight from Champion Shooters LLC.
    Typical target is a 3" red circle @ 50 yards and 6" @ 100 yards with open aperture sights.

[img width=600 height=400]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/pdexter46/000_0007.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m442/pdexter46179189/195575T1938Marlin100007.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m442/pdexter46179189/195575T1938Marlin100010.jpg[/img]

This target is 6 2" red bulls @ 50 yards with Lapua Master "L" .569mm (discontinued) shot by my daughter and myself. I shot the middle left row nearly one hole group but only four shots because I got to excited when she keep saying "same hole, same hole, same hole, same hole calling out the shots behind our Burris spotting scope. I just had to see for myself.

[img width=600 height=449]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m442/pdexter46179189/195575T1938Marlin100001-1-1.jpg[/img]

The Center X seems nearly as good in my rifle which liked the tighter bore of .569 mm rather than .567mm. The Center X bullet feels waxy compared to the now discontinued Master and Midas "M" and "L". I have used various Eley offerings but it loves Lapua.

I showed you mine now lets see yours...

Pete K. ;D

gotcha

Re: What is your most accurate rim fire rifle and what ammo does it like best?

Hi Pete, Sorry, no pics. :-[ My most accurate rim-fire is a T/C Contender. It was originally a .357 Super-mag pistol. I bought a butt stock, fore-end and T/C .17HMR bbl.@ Wal-mart. They had the best price @ the time. I mounted a 3X9 Bushnell scope and tried all the ammo available. Mine shot best w/ Fed. 17grn. V-shok. Groups on paper @ 100yds. Ran from .2's to.4's. When I took my grandson to the range with me he liked to shoot a tennis ball @ the 100 yd. line. He was pretty bored shooting paper and the "action" of the tennis ball kept him occupied. I've got a lot of large oaks around my home and have to occasionally "thin out" the squirrel population. The .17 comes in handy. I zero for 100 yds. & don't worry about trajectory 'til past about 125 yds. At this point, close your eyes & imagine a tree rat with no head. ;D You've got it!! By the way, I buy ALL my ammo @ Wal-mart (VERY exclusive store) 8)

King Ghidora

My best shooting rimfire is my Savage MkIIBTV. I have a Weaver 36X mounted on it and it loves Wolf MT ammo. It doesn't do nearly as well with the high priced stuff I've used. My typical groups at 50 yard are about 3/8th of an inch with quite a few getting below 1/8th inch. On a good day I can average a quarter inch group all day.

I also shoot ARA targets with my best score being 2150. That's not the best in the world obviously but it's pretty good for a bone stock rimfire rifle. I shoot this rifle a lot but sometimes I shoot CCI SV ammo so I can cut my ammo costs in half. The CCI does pretty well but not as well as the Wolf. I generally pay $50 a brick for the Wolf at a local shop. When I order it the price is usually $45 plus shipping on a brick. So it's actually about the same price to buy locally and pay the tax especially considering Champion Shooters is in my state and I have to pay tax there anyway. But my local shop has the Wolf about all the time. Sometimes I'll find it online from some other state and I'll buy some from there.

I use this rifle for paper punch almost exclusively. It's hard to do much else with a scope that strong. I do some plinking sometimes but I have other rifles for that.

Basic Member

BSA/Martini MkIII, Lapua Center-X (36x BSA)
    Geco model 37, Lapua Center-X (15X weaver)
    Winchester 52 pre-A, Lapua Center-X (12X weaver)
    prototype Anschutz (Anschutz barreled CZ 453 action), Lapua Center-X (6-24x vortex)
    Marlin 39-A, Aguila subsonic 38g (Lyman with Merit aperture)
    Jeff518

Rifleman51

It's a Savage MKII BRJ. After having Scott at Savagegunsmithing do an accuracy job on it, it shoots in the .1" range on a good wind day, 5 shots @ 50 Yds. best 5 shot group was .117". It shot in the .4" range stock. Wolf Match ammo.

You just have to love the new Savage MKII's.

John K

kentucky gunner

mine would have to be a suhl 150 or my hall actioned rifle. each has a nightforce 12x42x56mm scope, don stith stocks on each and a barrle tuner. the hall has the rva and the suhl has the harrels tuner. they each shoot eley best. i shoot 50 yards in a.r.a. matches and i ran the ir50/50 matches last summer.

10-22 / wolf match
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor