I've gone to my local (well stocked ) gun store a few times to buy something and walked out because the price was 30-40% higher than I could buy it on-line, including shipping. I've bought one gun from them because the price was less than 15% higher than I could get it on-line, including shipping and FFL fees. I've also passed on a couple of guns and purchased them on-line because their mark-up was just too high. The don't have a price match policy, but they will dicker a little at times.

Now, I'm looking at a Savage rifle that has an MSRP of $869. I can find it on-line for $619, and my local gun store has it in stock and wants $799. Tax is a wash and shipping is free -- so the only additional costs is the $40 FFL. The difference in price is 23% plus the $40 FFL fee. They are telling me that is as low as they can go because bolt guns don't have a high mark-up.

I can also buy it from Grab-a-Gun on-line for $647 and drive a couple hours to pick it up in Coppell.

I want to support the local business and will pay a little extra, but I don't feel its my job to keep them in business if their prices aren't competitive.

What do you think?