Thread: .17 rifle build

Basic Member

.17 rifle build

ok so I got a Shilen .17 Remington barrel that I've put on an axis .243 I changed the bolt head to .223 and bought a new magazine.I screwed the new barrel on and head spaced it but I can not get it to feed. As I close the bolt it either hits new barrel low and won't chamber or hot the new barrel and go straight up and jam the rifle. When I say it hits the barrel I'm talking the bullet tip hits below the chamber. Theoretically this should work no problem so have I assembled the rifle or bolt wrong? Help before I fall and can't get up!

Common problem attributed to the smaller cartridge diameter and shorter overall length. The solution is to have a feed cone machined into the face of the action to help guide the tip of the bullet up and into the chamber - similar to what's done on every single AR15 barrel ever made in .223 or 5.56 NATO.

Dave posted up a good photo what what such a feed cone looks like in this thread:
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ight=feed+cone

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Fred(Sharpshooter on the Forum), at Sharp Shooters Supply is the one who figured this out & does these for a nominal fee. Contact him on his sight, or message him here.

Basic Member
    I sent sharp shooter supply a message.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Fred(Sharpshooter on the Forum), at Sharp Shooters Supply is the one who figured this out & does these for a nominal fee. Contact him on his sight, or message him here.
    I can't message him here I don't have enough post lol.

Two more and you're there.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    I’m surprised he hasn’t responded. Guess he didn’t disagree with me on anything in this thread… LOL! Hope you get ahold of him OP.

On a side note. If you can’t, and you are able to remove/reinstall the barrel yourself, you could take the barrel to any qualified machinist with a lathe, & explain what you need done. A big reason I so wish I had room for a decent lathe, so I could do all the barrel work myself. Ah-well..

Basic Member
    Still haven’t got an email I’m gonna send another tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m surprised he hasn’t responded. Guess he didn’t disagree with me on anything in this thread… LOL! Hope you get ahold of him OP.

On a side note. If you can’t, and you are able to remove/reinstall the barrel yourself, you could take the barrel to any qualified machinist with a lathe, & explain what you need done. A big reason I so wish I had room for a decent lathe, so I could do all the barrel work myself. Ah-well..
    I can pull the barrel and install it no problem I may have to take to a machinist but would prefer an expert to do it. This project started over a year ago lol, it took forever to get the barrel done. I got the barrel in late July. Then in august I had open heart surgery to replace my bad aortic valve.Finally put it together and find it needs this work so I’m hoping to get this done and back so I can go prairie dogging.

Basic Member
    I sent another email and also PM to sharpshooter.

Basic Member
    Lisa got ahold of me nad I'll be sending my barrel in.

Banned
    Patience & perseverance! Two fine attributes in dealing with firearms. I’m sure he’ll get it taken care of. Let us know how it goes.

Team Savage
    Plus the fact Fred & Lisa both been sick

Basic Member
    I had a great Turn around time on the barrel about a week and half from mailing me mailing it to getting it back! She runs smooth as butter now. Thanks Fred and Lisa you'll be getting all my business.

Banned
    Glad it worked well for you.