Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
I use the Lee case trimmer which uses the case base to set the length of the case. I like it because its easy and repeatable, but I've seen and read some things that say that's not the best way to trim a case. Any thoughts about measuring from the shoulder?
If you are happy with the Lee, it’s not bad. The only issue I ever had was uneven cuts for some reason. That said, I still use some.

Measuring from the shoulder works too and those type…like my Trim It 2 are good for high volume normal accuracy level. It just isn’t the dimension on the dwg. Often that is important. I’m not sure it is super important here because most chambers have room and length consistently is not accuracy critical, IME.

I've been working on the theory that no matter where you measure from, you trim the same end so what difference does it make? I've seen shooters who advocate indexing off of the shoulder, claiming the critical measurement is shoulder to end of case neck. I can't see how you can do that and get consistent overall length.
I see that stuff too. Piss those folks off by telling them they are not following the dwg!

So the consensus is measuring from the base is the way to go?

Does brass stretch more when new and less as you reload it multiple times?
Brass stretches the most when new. Blowing it out to match the chamber and then sizing to min dimensions with std dies is the biggest shape change in brass’s life. Some dies and setups oversize which will cause excessive trimming.