Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimming?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    I use the Lee case trimmer which uses the case base to set the length of the case. I like it because its easy and repeatable, but I've seen and read some things that say that's not the best way to trim a case. Any thoughts about measuring from the shoulder?
    If you are happy with the Lee, it’s not bad. The only issue I ever had was uneven cuts for some reason. That said, I still use some.

Measuring from the shoulder works too and those type…like my Trim It 2 are good for high volume normal accuracy level. It just isn’t the dimension on the dwg. Often that is important. I’m not sure it is super important here because most chambers have room and length consistently is not accuracy critical, IME.

I've been working on the theory that no matter where you measure from, you trim the same end so what difference does it make? I've seen shooters who advocate indexing off of the shoulder, claiming the critical measurement is shoulder to end of case neck. I can't see how you can do that and get consistent overall length.
    I see that stuff too. Piss those folks off by telling them they are not following the dwg!

So the consensus is measuring from the base is the way to go?

Does brass stretch more when new and less as you reload it multiple times?
    Brass stretches the most when new. Blowing it out to match the chamber and then sizing to min dimensions with std dies is the biggest shape change in brass’s life. Some dies and setups oversize which will cause excessive trimming.

Same here. Been using a Forester since the early 70s.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Everything is really based on the shoulder to base measurement. This is dictated by the headspace in the rifle. You set your resize die based on that headspace. Trimming the neck is only to keep it from hitting the end of the chamber. A little shorter is not the end of the world, but, too long and it will jam the neck in the throat and 'crimp' the bullet. Extreme cases cause big pressure spikes.

Since the headspace is based on base to shoulder measurement, then the simplest case length measurement is base to end of neck. As long as your cases are prepared the same, measuring/trimming based on the shoulder will get the same results as measuring/trimming based on the case base.

Bottom line. Set your trimmer of choice so the neck does not enter the throat. Do it the same for every cartridge case. Doesn't really matter how you accomplish that.
    I was going to type pretty much everything you wrote. If i was set up to do it a different way in the beginning, i might do it different. But, when i first started my brother pointed me to use the World's Finest Trimmer, and it is just so fast and easy that i am not going to change. He has moved on to a Giraud, but i am happy where i am.

I have used the Lee trim system since I started reloading and even though it isn't the quickest, it is simple and accurate enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I've been using a Lyman Universal hand-crank trimmer since 1980 or so. Indexes on the head.
    --------------------
    Last edited by GaCop; 01-17-2023 at 07:45 AM. Reason: delete
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Some info on case trimming.

Basic Member
    I use a tool called "Quick Case Trimmer" sold by Possum (sic) Hollow. I think I got it from Sinclair Intl. It indexes off the datum line. I like it because it is fast and I can chuck it it my hand drill.One might get carpal tunnel turning a crank repeatedly.

Basic Member
    I inherited my Dads Forester 20 years ago. It was a good 20 + years old then. I replaced the cutters once. It works just fine. As long as I can crank that handle it works.

After the feedback from everyone, I decided to go with the Forester trimmer. I'm thinking of going with this to power it https://www.dacamreloading.com/cube/...-trimmers.html . Thanks for the help deciding which way to go!

Basic Member
    Good choice.

Way back when I had one I never got a power setup. Was not doing that many cases, maybe 100 at a time and using it once every 6 months or less.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Good choice.

Way back when I had one I never got a power setup. Was not doing that many cases, maybe 100 at a time and using it once every 6 months or less.
    I'm probably not shooting enough to warrant it, but I also have a history of not buying something, then regretting it later. In eight months, I've shot almost 500 rounds in the 6.5 CM so its not even 100 rounds a month.

After the feedback from everyone, I decided to go with the Forester trimmer. I'm thinking of going with this to power it https://www.dacamreloading.com/cube/...-trimmers.html . Thanks for the help deciding which way to go!
    You can get crank adapters for screw drivers and drills cheaper. https://www.dacamreloading.com/cube/power-adapters.html
    LOL Not that my desisions are based on that!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	533.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	9150
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    You can get crank adapters for screw drivers and drills cheaper. https://www.dacamreloading.com/cube/power-adapters.html
    LOL Not that my desisions are based on that!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	533.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	9150
    I ordered the power adapter for a drill or screwdriver, but this is much neater solution.

Team Savage

Forster's 3 in 1 trimming heads are awesome, cut, inside and outside chamfer in one operation. Have one for every caliber I shoot that they make.

I ordered the power adapter for a drill or screwdriver, but this is much neater solution.
    one of my Kids asked how much the stuff in my shop was worth. LOL A LOT MORE THEN YOUR MOTHER THINKS! I would power it also!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    one of my Kids asked how much the stuff in my shop was worth. LOL A LOT MORE THEN YOUR MOTHER THINKS! I would power it also!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face-with-tears-of-joy_1f602.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	9151

The Forster got here quick from Midway USA. It's a lot easier to trim the cases with this than the manual Lee case trimmer! No wonder you guys like it so much. Seems more accurate too. I haven't used the 3 in 1 case mouth cutter yet, but I'll give it a try once I shoot my way to some empty cases.

I need to wrap the melamine with walnut to protect the edges and it'll be good to go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1193-L.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	9155

Team Savage

The Forster got here quick from Midway USA. It's a lot easier to trim the cases with this than the manual Lee case trimmer! No wonder you guys like it so much. Seems more accurate too. I haven't used the 3 in 1 case mouth cutter yet, but I'll give it a try once I shoot my way to some empty cases.

I need to wrap the melamine with walnut to protect the edges and it'll be good to go.
    Very similar to how I attach mine to the bench.

Basic Member
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I've been using a Lyman Universal hand-crank trimmer since 1980 or so. Indexes on the head.

I ordered the original case trimmer and the 3 in 1 trimmer head and the base seems too short to trim a 6.5 CM case - you don't have enough room for the case to fir between the collet and trimmer head. The base that came with the original case trimmer is 5 3/8" long, does anyone know if the 6 1/2" base is long enough to trim a 6.5 CM case?

Basic Member
    I think it is perfect. I bought a used RCBS trimmer and it was far from accurate. The Lee gets them all nearly perfect and it is faster, at least if you have a small drill and I don't know anyone that doesn't have a 1/4" or a 3/8" drill.

Team Savage

I ordered the original case trimmer and the 3 in 1 trimmer head and the base seems too short to trim a 6.5 CM case - you don't have enough room for the case to fir between the collet and trimmer head. The base that came with the original case trimmer is 5 3/8" long, does anyone know if the 6 1/2" base is long enough to trim a 6.5 CM case?
    I use the 3 in 1 trimmer for 6.5CM with the short base on my original trimmer and it works fine. Move the stop/adj collar all the way to the handle, plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I use the 3 in 1 trimmer for 6.5CM with the short base on my original trimmer and it works fine. Move the stop/adj collar all the way to the handle, plenty of room.
    I couldn’t see how you could do that given that there didn’t seem to be enough room between the collet and cutter. Now I feel like an idiot! I was just loosening the collet enough to release the case. Once I backed it out 3-4 turns there was plenty of room! Thanks.

Team Savage

I couldn’t see how you could do that given that there didn’t seem to be enough room between the collet and cutter. Now I feel like an idiot! I was just loosening the collet enough to release the case. Once I backed it out 3-4 turns there was plenty of room! Thanks.
    I like simple.

Basic Member
    I've gravitated to the index off the shoulder trimmers, both the Worlds Finest Trimmer by Little Crow Works https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/ and the worlds cheapest trimmer by Holub Machine. http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html

Both do the job, but the Holub, made of delrin, seems to allow the case to wobble a bit more. I use both on a bench mounted drill press and can go through 50 cases in about 10 minutes. To verify that my trim length is optimum, I use a borescope camera to actually look at the chambered case and watch where the case mouth positions relative to the start of the leade. No guessing with this method, I know exactly how long the case neck can be and since both my trimmer and the actual case reference off the shoulder, there's no chance of getting into an action-disassembling pinched bullet situation. Seen it happen to a shooting buddy, and it ain't pretty!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast