Thread: 8.6 Blackout...

Question 8.6 Blackout...

Ok, so I can't seem to resist these subsonic cartridges. I'm currently working on putting together a bolt gun and trying to decide on what case to form my 8.6 cases. I know Kevin originally designed it to be formed from Creedmoor brass but, a customer, that bought Redding 8.6 dies from us, advises that neck splits are the norm(from one fired hornady cases) . So, my thoughts are maybe 338 federal will be a better starting point, thus my post. I'm looking for a half dozen cases to prove 338 federal is a better starting point, or not. Anyone that has a half dozen cases that's willing to sell to me, please pm me so I have something to try. I greatly appreciate any responses!

Basic Member
    Mike
    Sub sonic rounds are lots of fun. Even if your not running them thru a suppressor. The bang__________ding of shooting steel gongs at shot ranges is addictive. But the click______ding is even more fun.
    Sorry I can't help with you new progect as I have no 338 federal brass. Good luck

Basic Member
    Mike...have a Kimber Montana in .338Fed here, be glad to send you some brass, but pretty sure all mine is just necked up .308's...that work OK for you? if so, lemme know, i will mail you some.

G~

The easy way to get 8.6 Blackout brass (rather than making it) is to source it from Gorilla Ammo:
    https://www.gorillaammo.com/product/...ry-new-50-pcs/
    They show it in stock at a very reasonable price (a buck each).
    If you're going to make it yourself, don't use .308win or sacrifice that impossible to find 338 Federal brass as it's too long. You'll have to push the shoulder back a mile, use the shorter 6.5 Creedmoor brass (which still has to push the shoulder back, though not as far). First neck up to .308 then use your 8.6BO dies to finish full-length sizing and trim to finished length. Much easier to simply buy the proper head stamped brass from Gorilla...

So my question is: who makes Savage bolt action barrels in 8.6 Blackout?

Happy Easter!
    Brakeman

Basic Member
    ER Shaw makes a 1:3 twist for the Savage standard magnum contour