Thread: holdover 1000 yard shots

Basic Member

holdover 1000 yard shots

i have been using holdover techniques most of my life basically because most of my rifles have cheap scopes on them. Until I got my viper HST about 7 years ago i never spent more than a hundred bucks on a scope. So i learned how to sight in at a 100 yards for 300 to 500 yard shots. Last year i got a 20 moa riser for my 3006 REMington 700 so could try some long shots with it.

Basic Member
    continuing my story, first i zeroed it at 600 yards. first time out i was able to hit at 600 700 and 800. So i was pleased with this so last weekend i decided to go for the 1000 yard. My 100 yard sight height was 29,5 inches high at 100 yards using 195 hornady match hollow points and 59.5 grains of RL19. My 5 shot group was 3/4 inch at 100 yd. The scope on this gun is a Simmons side focus 6 x 21 master series. Simple duplex crosshair. think i paid 99 bucks for it like 9 or 10 years ago.

Basic Member
    So me and Kevin got to the range last weekend and he got his spotting scope set up on the 1000 yard steel. the biggest plate is 20 x 20 inch. conditions were perfect, 2 mph wind. so i got lined up on the 20 x 20 plate. BOOOM .... whack first shot was a hit. Then 4 more after that . 5 in a row. Ended up with 9 or 10 hits out of 17 shots. Best 5 shots i ever made. I always wondered if there were other shooters who liked to use holdover calculations. I would love to hear any stories of similiar shots using this technique.

Basic Member
    Ps. My speed was about 2700 fps. Also, I put a witt machine clamp on break on it last year. standard 22 inch barrel. I think shooting holdover hold over is a lost art because the optics today are so much better now nobody needs to do it if you have a good Target scope. Just do the math and click, click , click.

Basic Member
    Good shooting I bet it was fun. Nice to see people still using the 06 but I thought Simmons disapeared over twenty years ago.

Basic Member
    Hold over will only get you frustrated. Dialing is the only way to go for long range shooting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Good shooting I bet it was fun. Nice to see people still using the 06 but I thought Simmons disapeared over twenty years ago.
    Well...not according to this: http://www.simmonsoptics.com

I put a Simmons handgun scope on my S&W 44 mag over ten years ago. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and it's never moved from Zero. Actually, I replaced a Leupold handgun scope that just never worked properly.

Basic Member
    it was fun. If i had only one rifle i could keep, it would be the 3006. It will beat he 308 easy with heavier bullets. doesnt burn alot of powder compared to the magnums. And i can burn medium and even fast powders if thats all i have. accuracy is excellent.

Basic Member
    I just hit 20 inch steel at 1000 with first five shots 3 weeks ago using my 100 yard sight in data. no frustration

Basic Member
    only joy

Basic Member
    Congrats. The reason I got my model 12 was being able to shoot at the 1000yd target. The .308 did really well with 155gn bullets, both Hornady ELD and Berger. Later on I found out it also liked the 175SMK's at that range (set my personal record 5" 5round group). My only issue is the recoil is tiring. I start to lose focus after 20 or 30 shots. So, it now has a 6BR barrel on it. So far I have been able to shoot 7" and 8" groups with it at 1000yd. Most of the time I am shooting at an 8" plate. On a calm day I can hit it on a regular basis, but, we rarely have calm days. I also like to shoot at soda cans at 600yd. Makes really good practice with any wind at all.

Scope adjustments. I have a Viper HST on a std rail. I use my dope settings then hold based on bullet impact. I never have a spotter so I do the best I can watching the bullet impact. This is one reason why I use a small target at range. If I miss it is easily visible and if I need to adjust it is simple to do. When I do hit I get more pleasure from hitting the small target.

I'm another that sights in at 100 yards, then dials in the range from that point.

Basic Member
    As I shoot at each range I record my settings and any hold, then observe the targets and where the group is centered (including any wind). Then, if necessary I adjust my Dope for that range. Next time I set using the Dope. After two or three engagements at any one range the Dope is pretty close.

To make all this easier I record the velocity for every shot and where it hit on the target (if I can see it with my scope/camera). I take each target and record all the information on it. Then I take a picture of the target and store it in my computer. The velocity information is also downloaded from the chrono and stored on a spreadsheet in the same subfolder as the targets. At any point I can go back and look at shooting I did previously with similar loads and see what settings I used and where I hit on the target.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    I'm another that sights in at 100 yards, then dials in the range from that point.
    My first time at 1000 with my .308 I used my 100 yard zero and the free Strelok app to get my settings.

First shot was dead center.

Not all my shots were - but I was completed shocked that's where the first one ended up. I was actually searching around the target (electronic scoring) trying to figure out where it landed, not expecting it to be in the center.

Basic Member
    I do use a ballistic calculator to get me on paper at a 'new' range. If the proper info is entered it is good enough for hunting.

Basic Member
    The 30 Cal. is not the best for long range shooting. (500+yds). The BC of the 6.5 and 7.0mm are the best for shooting long range. Not that you can't shoot a 30 Cal long range. But shooting 70+ rounds of a .308 or 30-06 vs shooting a 6.5-whatever.....it's the recoil that will wear you down fast.

Banned
    Yeah, I have no problem using holdover for both Elevation & Windage. Of course, my scope is FFP, using the GENIIXR reticle with .5mil marks, so..