Thread: Mid vs rear grip

Basic Member

Mid vs rear grip

Not familiar with the bolt SP's, but was wondering the differences in perceived recoil between the two.
    Right is not always easy, but still right.

I prefer the mid grip for hunting, it just seems to be a little easier to get into a stable shooting position. I like rear grip pistols for shooting from the bench. The recoil impulse is completely different as well with the mid grip guns having much more muzzle flip. I currently have only a couple of bolt guns but both are mid grip guns but I guess all around the rear grip is my favorite.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

About the only thing i can add to what Bob said is, The bigger caliber they are, The more I lean to rear grip with brakes. The hands can normally accept more handgun recoil then a shouldered rifle. My .416 was a 1 shot bench, 3 shot standing and 12 shots after cutting down for a striker. Not directed at you, But someone that who may have damaged there hands and has pins for repair will want to stay away from the big stuff.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    I'm strictly a rear grip shooter now. I had a very nice XP in .223 in the mid grip style and just couldn't shoot it. It was a right bolt, McMillan stock, good trigger, but I just couldn't shoot it. I always shoot from a rest and never could get it stable. Maybe if I added an arca rail it would have helped out the stability of it.

I shoot my 2 rear grips from the same rest as the mid grip was shot from and they're very accurate.

I agree with Bob
    Center grip has alot of barrel flip
    I only shoot from the bench of a one piece rest so I have all Rear Grip now

Dan

I have both, a mid grip Savage Striker in 444 Marlin and a rear grip striker currently wearing a cut down 243 sporter barrel. Of the 2 I like the mid grip better for hunting, as BobT said above it just feels better and quicker to get on target. I can't really give a good judge on recoil just because I would be comparing apples to oranges with my setups. Besides the major cartridge differences in my 2, the 444 has a brake I made with large vertical ports that mostly eliminate muzzle flip and is a 15.5" heavy Varmint taper barrel. The 243 has a radial brake currently and is a sporter taper barrel, but the biggest difference is that the rear grip stock is one I machined out of a bar of aluminum so it is pretty hefty. I would say that shooting from a rest my rear grip lets me do more fine adjustments and thus lends itself better for target work.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Thank you for even more than I asked for, or even thought about. I had the thought of a left bolt right eject something for varmints and range use. Before I got serious about looking I wanted to figure out grip location that would work well for my intended uses and provide a softer feel. A 6mm of some flavor from the 6X45 up to a 243 would most likely get the nod.
    Right is not always easy, but still right.

They also favor different rests depending on terrain. Rear lends itself better to BiPod. Centers off a tree limb (with a glove for scratch protection)
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg11B View Post
    Thank you for even more than I asked for, or even thought about. I had the thought of a left bolt right eject something for varmints and range use. Before I got serious about looking I wanted to figure out grip location that would work well for my intended uses and provide a softer feel. A 6mm of some flavor from the 6X45 up to a 243 would most likely get the nod.
    One of my bolt guns is an XP100 chambered in 6x45, it's a really good shooter and I like the cartridge a lot.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    i have small hands , and pretty light duty all over. all my xp's and savages are midgrip ( got TC also which of course are rear units). Not bench shooter but a lot sillywet in the past. For me I have more control on the boomers with the mid grip. I have to really concentrate on hanging on to my 35Rem ( 180-200 gr pills) in the tc with a heavy 14" barrel. It really flips.