Thread: Savage Noob questions

Suwannee Tim

Savage Noob questions

I have been shooting for some time. I am newly interested in Savage rifles for several reasons, reasonable cost, good accuracy and interchangeable barrels being the main three. I have a few questions. I examined several Savage rifles recently and all had barrel nuts without splines. How do you remove them? Pipe wrench? Then you replace it with a new barrel nut with splines?

Here is a photo from Savage:

[img width=600 height=415]http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/Daishowatool.jpg[/img]

This is evidently a wrench for such a nut, with no splines, made by the Big Diashowa Seiki Company. Part of the photo was cropped and shows a no-spline barrel nut in the man's other hand. Know any details about it?

Re: Savage Noob questions

Fred at SSS sells a wrench for removing these barrel nuts. It's basically a compression wrench (left side in image) as once you slide it down over the nut, you tighten up a spanner screw to clamp it to the nut. The other end of the wrench (right side of image) is setup for removing the earlier smooth nuts that had a hole in the bottom to accept a pin (pin hole would always be on the bottom side of the barreled action).

[img width=600 height=179]http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/images/Accessories/smbnw.jpg[/img]

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Suwannee Tim

Thanks. Next question: Every hinged floorplate I have ever seen hinged at the front and latched at the back. The Savage rifles I examined were set up with floorplates and they both hinged and latched at the front. Is this as satisfactory as the traditional front hinge back latch setup?

I shot an FN rifle recently with a detachable magazine and it was a headache to load and could not be loaded in the gun. The shop I was at, I am sure would not have provided me ammo and allowed me to load the rifles I was looking at. Question is, with the detachable box magazine Savages, are they hard to load out of the gun? Can they be loaded in the gun?

Basic Member

Hopefully i can help with the dbm question. The detachable mags that i have for my savages load very easy removed from the gun, i do have one that hangs up after the third round but by pushing toward the front of bullet allows the fouth round to go in. I haven't shot this rifle that much and the mag may just need to be used more.

Yes my dbm mags load easy when still in the rifle as well. blue

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim
    I have been shooting for some time. I am newly interested in Savage rifles for several reasons, reasonable cost, good accuracy and interchangeable barrels being the main three. I have a few questions. I examined several Savage rifles recently and all had barrel nuts without splines. How do you remove them? Pipe wrench? Then you replace it with a new barrel nut with splines?

Here is a photo from Savage:

[img width=600 height=415]http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/allentimfrank/Daishowatool.jpg[/img]

This is evidently a wrench for such a nut, with no splines, made by the Big Diashowa Seiki Company. Part of the photo was cropped and shows a no-spline barrel nut in the man's other hand. Know any details about it?

All I know it that tool costs almost $200.00 set-up for one particular diameter.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."