Thread: markings difference between axis/axis ii

markings difference between axis/axis ii

New here, and to savage rifles in general. I've got an axis ii xp that I'm looking at swapping some other items for, and I've seen a few pics of the unit, but I was hoping to figure out if there are any differences in the barrel markings or otherwise that I can differentiate them with. I know theres always the accutrigger, but I honestly wasn't sure how I could tell that as well from just picking up the rifle when I lay eyes on it. It's already got a pretty nice boyd's stock on it. I'd just like to go into the trade with as much info as possible. Can anyone help me there?

Banned
    Not sure exactly what you are trying to differentiate it from? Are you concerned you won’t get what it says? The Axis II XP comes in many different flavors. Black or Stainless. Black, tan & Camo synthetic, OR hardwood stock. The only thing that will give it away as being an Axis II is the Accutrigger. Can’t even tell if it’s Long or Short Action just from looking at a picture because the Action is the same.

Thanks....basically I was wondering if you could tell by markings whether it was an axis or axis 2, although after some more reading, it doesn't look like there is much different other than the accutrigger itself. All I had to go on was a couple pictures that didn't get a clear view of the barrel or trigger. He was claiming it's an axis 2 XP, with a sig scope on it. Of course I think the guy may have flaked out on me for the trade. Right up when it came time to work out a meet time, he vaporized. I might try him again after the holiday settles down.

Banned
    Unless it’s the deal of a lifetime, I wouldn’t worry much on it. The Axis XP II’s are plentiful! Go on Gunbroker & take your pick. You can get the synthetic stock for just over $400… the hard wood stock version is just over $500. And no “Flakery”.

Basic Member
    From what little I know the only difference between an Axis and Axis II is the accutrigger. I'll have to get out my old barrel and see how it is marked. The XP just means that it was a package deal that included a scope.

I think there was a firing pin spring change somewhere, but, I might have that wrong.

So I never heard from that dude again, but I got my hands on another in 6.5 creedmoor. Wasn't the absolute best swap I've ever done, but I did manage to grab 120 rounds of ammo, bipod, the weaver scope, and the gun 4 years old) itself with 20 rounds down the pipe, still in the box. I haven't had anything in this caliber before, but I think this one is the heavy barrel as well. All in all, it'll get me back in the game!

Basic Member
    The stocks are slightly different between the axis and axis 2. The axis 2 stock has more hand room and drop at the but stock grip area.

Banned
    Good deal. Should do just fine for you.