Thread: Article: Savage Launches the 560 Field Shotgun and 334 Rifles

Article: Savage Launches the 560 Field Shotgun and 334 Rifles

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Looks like no barrel nut on that rifle? I'm kind of surprised to see that. I wonder if it's threaded in to the shoulder, or if it's pressed like the old Remington 710's used to be.

Savage isn't making either of these, they're both imported from Turkey.

The 334 rifle is made by Ata Silah San (aka ATA Arms) in Instanbul. On the ATA Arms website it's the Turqua model.

http://ataarms.com/en/turqua

2022_SA_Stevens_334_Wood_SN.jpg

The 560 SA shotgun is made by Kofs, same Turkish company that makes the 555 over/under's.

https://www.kofs.com.tr/

2022_SA_Stevens_560.jpg
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Oh yes, yes please Savage. This is exactly what we’ve been wanting for. An even CHEAPER, NON-US made rifle with NO barrel nut! In fact, we’ve secretly been pining for a completely different Savage Rig which shares absolutely NOTHING in common with the 10/110 many of us have been buying & using for DECADES! You’ve finally answered our prayers! Oh thank you Savage, thank you!”

Uhhh, NOPE!

Don't worry Dave, I'm sure this will likely prove to be a one-year wonder, two at the most. Low-cost Turkish imports are nothing new, especially on the shotgun side of things, and history has proven time and again that they're usually short lived with most brands in the U.S. market because the importing brand usually jacks up the price too much because it has their name on it rather than the Turkish OEM's name.

What's interesting though is the pricing. If you do a quick search on GunBroker for the ATA Arms Turqua you'll see them priced in the $550-750 range depending on configuration, while Savage's MSRP prices are $389 and $489 respectively depending on stock type. That just tells you how much the ATA Arms importers for the U.S. are inflating the prices on these guns.

Even the most basic Axis model with it's horrid trigger has a street price inching closer and closer to that $400 mark with each passing year, so for Savage to be able to offer a bolt-action centerfire at a sub $300 price point they have to look at imports - either from Turkey or China. The Turkish economy has all but collapsed (84.4% inflation rate as of November 2022) meaning anything being made there is currently dirt cheap to buy and import to the U.S. I would imagine Savage just looked at this as an opportunity to test the waters with little to no financial risk to see if there's a big market enough for it to stick.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling they may be imports.

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling they may be imports.
    I have been burned by Savage before. They bring in a Turkish import at a great price. At best you get no support. Even worse, they drop it from the line after a couple years and you are stuck with a useless gun in your cabinet. Never again for me.