I hope this is OK to do this. I posted this to the headspace sticky, did not get much response and I'm guessing it's because most people ignore the sticky posts after they've read through them.

So here's my post to that thread:

Dang. Now this thread has me wondering...

I measured the head gap clearance by adding layer of tape to a F.L. sized case until bolt refused to close. Then measuring the OAL length of the case with and without the tape. I got 0.030" of gap between case head and bolt face. I'm a bit puzzled though because I could feel the bolt closing harder much earlier, but didn't get "refusal" until 0.030". And even at that I think I might have been able to force it to close without much effort.

Is that too much for a .35 Whelen?

I then measured my .357 leverguns on got 0.007" gap on one and 0.020" gap on the other.

The levergun with a 0.020" gap has given me case head separation problems, although the Whelen has not yet separated a case. Now that could be entirely because the Whelen doesn't get shot anywhere near as often as the .357 does. In fact of my Whelen brass I doubt I've even reloaded one brass more than 10 times yet.

I did however have a failure to fire on my Whelen this year. I pulled the trigger and "click" but no "boom". I chambered a new shell and got the deer. The failed shell had no primer dent whatsoever.

Any thoughts?