Thread: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Basic Member

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Has anyone here have or had this? I'm 63 and for the last year or two my thumb, index and middle fingers on both hands have been numb and tingly. Keeps me up all night long walking around the house shaking them trying to wake them up. I went to the Dr. in June and he sent me for a test and turned out I have Carpal syndrome in both hands. Got surgery on the right hand and I still have numbness may go away in up to a year and a half and maybe it won't go away. Was scheduled for the other hand 3 weeks later and got Covid 3 days before and they postponed it for 6 weeks. I just got that one done and now I'm able to sleep.
    I really like shooting my big boomers(Contender handguns in 45-70, .375 .309 JDJ, .44 mags etc.) but time will tell if I still can.
    Anyone else have this? If I had it to do over again I would have had it taken care of a lot sooner.
    Happy shootin!

Sorry you are going through this. I put it off for too long myself. The curse of a working man.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the response.... did you get your feelings back?

Somewhat, neuropothy exacerbates the issue. I take 2400 Units of Alpha Lypoic Acid for the pain but the numbness only subsides when I get off sugar.

Basic Member
    Sugar ah.... Can you still feel your trigger finger?

Basic Member
    I had both hands done back in 2013. I had the same problem with my right hand, it took almost 6 months to get all the feeling back. I was dumb enough to insist on doing both hands at the same time.....that was a big mistake. The doctor asked why, and I told him I was self employed, and wanted only one recovery time. Besides that, it was all coming out of my pocket so it had to be cheaper. He said you are right on both accounts, but to do both, I'll need to put you under, and because you are over 50, I need to see some tests. One thing led to another, and a heart murmur was found. I had to have a stress test and eventually a heart cath. That's where they found a leaky aorta valve.This delayed surgery for 4 months. After surgery, to took me almost a year to get all my upper body strength back. I don't know if it was because I did both hands, or maybe the anesthesia, or maybe it was just my particular case. I would not recommend getting both done at the same time to anybody.
    My leaky heart valve finally got bad enough to replace in June of last year. I feel better than I have in several years.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I had to do a pre op physical and luckily they didn't find anything else. They wouldn't do both at the same time Dr. asked me how I would wipe my butt, she had me on that one.
    Glad you got feeling better and thank you for giving me some hope. I wish you the best!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I had both hands done back in 2013. I had the same problem with my right hand, it took almost 6 months to get all the feeling back. I was dumb enough to insist on doing both hands at the same time.....that was a big mistake. The doctor asked why, and I told him I was self employed, and wanted only one recovery time. Besides that, it was all coming out of my pocket so it had to be cheaper. He said you are right on both accounts, but to do both, I'll need to put you under, and because you are over 50, I need to see some tests. One thing led to another, and a heart murmur was found. I had to have a stress test and eventually a heart cath. That's where they found a leaky aorta valve.This delayed surgery for 4 months. After surgery, to took me almost a year to get all my upper body strength back. I don't know if it was because I did both hands, or maybe the anesthesia, or maybe it was just my particular case. I would not recommend getting both done at the same time to anybody. My leaky heart valve finally got bad enough to replace in June of last year. I feel better than I have in several years.
    At least there was some good news in there. I fell asleep but I was going to ask when the surgery happened. I hear the younger you are the faster it comes back. Also look into some nutracueticals. Some of them have ingredients that help repair nerves, you could also find out what those ingredients that make that happen and see if they are sold. I have been amazed at how things you put in your mouth can have such an amazing affect on our bodies. Magnesium and zink are just a few that are improving my life. Good luck

Basic Member
    I had Carpal in both hands . It was very painful to the point that I could'nt sleep at night. Had the surgery in both hands. One of the best things I have had done. I have never lost any feeling and the pain is gone. Trigger finger is fine.

Basic Member
    Awesome, good to hear!

Basic Member
    Had surgery 5 years ago on my right hand it took about six months to get full function and feeling, still drop stuff sometimes, but no numbness or pain,give it some time.

Basic Member
    Good to hear Handi204, thanks

I've been dealing with intermittent symptoms of carpal tunnel in my right hand for a good 10 years now. Mostly in my thumb, but if I'm doing something for a long period that really puts a strain on my hand the numbness spreads to my index and middle fingers as well. As such I've just been taking care not to overdue things and as soon as I start feeling any kind of irritation or numbness I stop what I'm doing. It usually doesn't bother me until I sit too long at the computer working on something intricate that requires delicate mouse work (graphic design, photo editing, etc.) or when I'm doing brass prep and pinching brass between my thumb and index finger. Anymore I can only do about 15-20 cases before my thumb is throbbing and I have to stop.

Then I had the joy of having a shingles outbreak all down my right arm and hand at the end of October. I always thought shingles was just a skin rash, but quickly found out it reeks havoc on your nerves where ever the outbreak is. So already having nerve issues in my right hand, the shingles made that typical pain about 10x worse and 24/7 constant for a good 2 months. The weekend before I finally went in to see the doctor (Friday morning - Monday evening) I only got about 3-4 hours sleep the pain was soo intense. I was literally formulating plans in my head to amputate my own thumb at one point I was so miserable. As I mentioned in another thread, shingles made the pain from having two herniated discs pinching nerves in my lower back several years ago feel like child's play.

It's just been the last week or so that I've gotten to the point that I'm not routinely pacing back and forth massaging my thumb trying to ease the pain. Soo glad to finally be getting some relief on that front at least, but still have to be mindful not to spend too much time here at the computer or the pain will flare up again.

Once this shingles mess is done and over with (on meds through end of January) I fully intend to finally look into having surgery. Have always had two primary hobbies in my life - guns and motorcycles. Had to give up the motorcycles 10 years ago as the vibrations would aggravate things after just a few miles to the point I couldn't maintain a firm enough grip on the throttle to hold it open or extend my fingers to pull the front brake lever. Now that it's greatly affecting my ability to continue enjoying my one remaining hobby I can't ignore it anymore.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    J.Baker,
    Sorry to hear about the shingles, I never knew about the nerve issues with it. I to have lower back problems and pretty much had to give up my motorcycle. In 2017 they fused 3 levels in my lower back with kadabor bones, 8 screws and 4 connecting rods. I'm getting paid back with all the dumb things I did when younger. From peoples comments here it is looking like I probably will be able to shoot again. I wish you the best.

I have had good results using CBD lotion every morning I also have trigger finger in both my center and ring fingers and its almost nonexistent after a couple weeks of using the lotion. I know not all states allow the CBD lotion to be sold. The type I use does not contain any THC and is sold by the drugstores here in Silverton Oregon. I used about a peanuts sized glob on each hand. This has also worked wonders on my Nephropathy from my type II diabetes as I also use it on my feet.

As a dump truck driver there was just no way to deal with the down time from surgeries.

Basic Member
    Give Tiger Balm a try rub it top and bottom of your wrist, may help it's some pretty good stuff. The white is a little potent.

Quote Originally Posted by Handi204 View Post
    Give Tiger Balm a try rub it top and bottom of your wrist, may help it's some pretty good stuff. The white is a little potent.
    I keep Tiger Balm on hand at all times, though I'm REAL careful where I use it these days after an incident with the family jewels. Had a pulled muscle on the inside of my thigh and was VERY careful to keep from applying it up too high, but apparently I wasn't careful enough. That was a rough couple hours, lemme tell ya! haha
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for they ideas guys!