Thread: Need load data for an AR

showgun

Need load data for an AR

I don't want to reinvent the wheel so can I get some load data for an AR...

I have a 16'' Bull, 9 twist with .223 chamber. I currently load H335 with a 50 vmax for the .223 bolt gun but I wanted to find out what you guys are running.

This is a primary coyote rig, I would like to run a little heavier bullet to help buck the wind here in the plains of washington state!

Thanks in advance.

Basic Member

Re: Need load data for an AR

55 gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip, 25 gr TAC and a Rem 7 1/2 or Wolf SRM primer works in every AR we have tried it in. COL = 2.260"
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

You might want to try the Sierra 65gr Game King. It was developed for hunting med. sized game. I have used that bullet over a stiff charge of AA2520 (although any appropriate powder will work- Varget, BLC2, etc.). I have killed 14 deer here in NC with it out of an 18" bbl AR. All 1 shot. Works great.

showgun

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    You might want to try the Sierra 65gr Game King. It was developed for hunting med. sized game. I have used that bullet over a stiff charge of AA2520 (although any appropriate powder will work- Varget, BLC2, etc.). I have killed 14 deer here in NC with it out of an 18" bbl AR. All 1 shot. Works great.
    How do the b-tips cycle through your AR... Any troubles with feeding or deformity of the tip while cycling?

Basic Member

not at all. I load to 2.250" OAL, no prob ever feeding. Their a good hunting bullet.

Elkbane

55 gr sierra Gamekings, 25.1 gr of H335 and Lake City cases using Wolf SR primers is my standard load at 2.26 OAL. I've shot this same laod with 53 gr match HP's and it was fine (didn't adjust the seating die). Mine doesn't like 69 gr bullets or I'd be using them.

Best deal I've found on brass is the sized, primed brass from Scharch Mfg, Inc........... can't remember what I paid for them, but I bought 500 primed cases and they were cheap. I'm slowly loading them out for my WSHTF arsenal.....

ELkbane

showgun

That's where Ill start... Ive got a box of 55 v-max and h335 in my cabinet already! I cant disclose where I work but I can say I have access to LC 5.56 brass like you wouldn't believe! I need to get a case prep station, reaming pockets by hand gets old!

Basic Member

Forget the case prep station, get a Dillon Super Swage 600. It will fix those crimped primer pockets faster than you can believe. It costs about $100.00 but you can offset that by selling me a few thousand of those LC cases. I believe they are as good as any of the major brands and better than most.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

+2 for the Dillon swager. Fast tool to get the crimp out of the PP. I've been using one for approximately 15 years now.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

showgun

Just watched a video on the dillon.... WOW! That will make my life easy! I think it will be my next purchase.

musselvalley

Be careful with the Dillon and your AR. My buddy has one and loaded all my AR roads with it. When I went to SD doggin, I was laoding clips and a few of the bullets were loose in the brass. Scared the heck out of me, so I kind of frown on them for AR

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by musselvalley
    Be careful with the Dillon and your AR. My buddy has one and loaded all my AR roads with it. When I went to SD doggin, I was laoding clips and a few of the bullets were loose in the brass. Scared the heck out of me, so I kind of frown on them for AR
    The super swage won't have anything to do with that. Neither will any properly set up progressive press. I load all my .223 on a progressive and have not had a loose bullet in well over 1.5k rounds. If the bullet was loose in the case, the operator of the press is at fault, not the equipment.

musselvalley

That well may be the case with him!!! :)

Basic Member

I load an average of 10,000 rounds of 223 a year on a Dillon 550 and have never had the problem you describe. Sounds like your buddy needs to learn how to adjust his size die.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

snipecatcher

I load 75 Hornady BTHP's (.395 BC) over a stiff charge of Varget to get about 2750 fps out of my 20" BM Predator. Lake City brass is good stuff, I bought a bunch of it new (no crimped primer pockets!) when Midway was selling it a while back.
    -Dan

Basic Member

Wideners has it on sale right now.
    C
    laportecharlie

I too load 223, and 308 on my 550 and have never encountered any loose bullet or accuracy problems. The Dillon is great when you want to load enough ammo to repel a serious zombie attack. I think I have enough loaded now to stop a second Tet Offensive.

Tom
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

27.5g BLC2, 55vmax OR 55 hornady JSP w/cann, 2.230"
    25.3g H335, 55vmax OR 55 Hornady JSP w/cann, 2.230"
    Both these will hammer a coyote to 300 yds no problem out of my R15 18" bbl.
    Same thing in my sons CMMG 16" AR15.

showgun

I haven't had any time for serious load development but I did a quick ladder of 335 with 55gn Montana gold fmj's. I settled with 25gns H335, LC brass and cci primers. This will hold 1" and is plenty for dogs, besides, I need to spread the reloading love to some of my other "tools".