Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Revolvers...

Question Collecting Revolvers...

Something I've been doing for several decades. In that time, I've also gone from only collecting S&W's to also some of the Ruger DA and SA guns. I'm really a huge fan of the small Ruger's like the Bearcats and SP101s. In SA's i'm really a fan of their birdshead gripped guns regardless of frame size.

Anyone else here collect wheelguns? If so, what's your favorite to collect?

Basic Member
    I have always been a revolver guy and in the past several years have accumulated a few S&Ws. My first revolver though was a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, don't have it any longer but do have a Redhawk in 44 Mag. My favorites are S&W K/L frames, not sure I could narrow it down any further than that at this time. My carry gun is a J frame 640, but if I could only have one revolver it would probably be a 4" 66 or 19.

For a number of years it was Smith's especially 41 mags. Of late has turned to handguns I can hunt with. The most recent additions have been an unfired
    Ruger Blackhawk from Magnaport, the Stalker and a Freedom Arms 454 also worked on by Magnaport with both porting and a muzzle brake.

I do have a soft spot for revolvers. My first revolver was a JP Sauer and Sohn (HAWES) Western Marshall in 44 Rem Mag and I have since picked up another in 357. I've had that 44 for over 20 years, it took my first handgun hunted deer with it. They are pretty well made without too many garnishments, just good old solid SA guns that have treated me well. Should anyone run across one feel free to let me know wink wink.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

Collecting Revolvers...

My first revolver was also a Hawes in .357 mag, back in the 70s. :)

Basic Member
    Six Shooters are just special in a way that no semi auto is, except maybe an old Luger. IMHO the Colt SAA reigns supreme. I have always wanted one but my tastes run pretty high so one still illudes me. JUst like the Rolex watch I have been telling myself I need for the last 30 years.
    Current Wheel Guns include a 455 Webley, 329PD, Rossi 357, Rossie 38 Special, Rugers in 22, 44 & 454, Colt New Frontier 22/22Mag SAA style, High Standard 22 and an old Iver Johnson 22. Almost had a Python a few years ago. My nephew had a co-worker who was trying to sell off some pistols for a woman who's father had passed away. I think they wanted just under $2K for an older stainless one that was a bit worn and scratched.
    I offered to buy it and then crickets for a week, later found out the co-worker made her a counter offer behind my back. Kept my tongue, rare thing for a NY'er, to keep the family peace.

Basic Member
    I love revolvers. I collect them some.

I love my old S&W’s. I need to make a family picture! Of late, my 14-4 is my favorite.

Would love a nice 3 screw Blackhawk in 45 Colt!

Basic Member
    I have a small collection of Smiths but they are all super nice.

Basic Member
    I don't collect them but do like my 3 S&w's 17-4 36 29-5. Ruger Bearcat new model, 357/9mm Blackhawk new model. Dan Wesson 44 and Colt Police Positive 1937

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegle57 View Post
    For a number of years it was Smith's especially 41 mags. Of late has turned to handguns I can hunt with. The most recent additions have been an unfired
    Ruger Blackhawk from Magnaport, the Stalker and a Freedom Arms 454 also worked on by Magnaport with both porting and a muzzle brake.
    Well, if you want to make friends with Magnum Mike, you hit the jackpot on the cal. Anyone over on Specialty Pistols knows that Mike is a .41 FAN! lol I'm down to only a handful of revolvers, but my favorite and the first one I bought back in '84 was this Redhawk in .357"

Basic Member
    Didn't somebody say if you can't do it with 6 shots, maybe you shouldn't be doing it? LOL

Basic Member
    686-3s

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
    Something I've been doing for several decades. In that time, I've also gone from only collecting S&W's to also some of the Ruger DA and SA guns. I'm really a huge fan of the small Ruger's like the Bearcats and SP101s. In SA's i'm really a fan of their birdshead gripped guns regardless of frame size.

Anyone else here collect wheelguns? If so, what's your favorite to collect?
    Well I'm more of an accumulater than a collector but long for a SAA in 4 5/8th's first Gen. I do have a New Frontier 22 Convertable, a Webely, a High Standard, A RH in 44, a SRH in 454, a H&R 22, a Rossi 38 a Rossi in 357, A S&W 329, and a Ruger New Model 22.

Basic Member
    I like Ruger Security sixes,GP100,S&W K frames but also have a soft spot for Taurus Trackers. I have a couple and they get more use in the field and the beauties stay in the safe.
    Mike got a couple of nice revolvers from me and I am grateful they went to a good home!!

Quote Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
    Mike got a couple of nice revolvers from me and I am grateful they went to a good home!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Julesk View Post
    686-3s
    Jules, those are some beautiful grips!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cknight814 View Post
    Jules, those are some beautiful grips!
    Thanks. VZ Grips fit my hand so much better then factory Targets.

I have a collectable, but no real collection. This is a shooter. 1955 S&W M-14 Target Masterpiece. I used it to shoot PPC with the local sheriffs some years back. It's great for bunnies with wadcutters.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I'm a fan of Dan Wesson, Smith & Wesson and Ruger. Still looking for a 414 super mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazenet View Post
    Still looking for a 414 super mag.
    Soooooo wish S&W would create a frame size slightly smaller than the X and just a tad bigger than the N with the longer cylinder required for the Super Magnums. Like you, i would be 1 of the first ones in line to purchase a 414 Super Mag. I have the cartridge in contender pistol and carbine barrels but would really enjoy one in a wheelgun!

If I had all the revolvers I've owned, It'd be one heckuva collection. Unfortunately I don't have deep pockets so when I want something new I need to sell something I'm not shooting in order to buy it. I've had dang near everything at one time to another and if I find I got rid of something I liked then I buy another one.

Basic Member
    G Man , how well does that B Square mount hold on your Red Hawk?

Quote Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
    G Man , how well does that B Square mount hold on your Red Hawk?
    It's not a B-Square, it's a Weig-a-tinny mount and I like it, very solid mount. I would recommend it to anyone that has a Redhawk w/o the integral scope rings. I like the design of the hook down the back of the revolver, I think it takes much of the strain off the screws during recoil, granted I only have a .357, not a .44, but that mount is solid like a rock.
    Ruger Redhawk Scope Mounts No Drill WEIG-A-TINNY<sup>®</sup> (jackweigand.com)

Basic Member
    Smith for DAs and Ruger for SAs and Dan Wesson for DAs that are fired primarily SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I have a collectable, but no real collection. This is a shooter. 1955 S&W M-14 Target Masterpiece. I used it to shoot PPC with the local sheriffs some years back. It's great for bunnies with wadcutters.

Beautiful gun, I especially love the grips!

I have never really collected revolvers but have owned several over the years and presently have none. I would like to find a nice old triple lock .44 special, my grandpa had one that went to an uncle when he passed away. When my uncle passed my aunt gave it to a cousin.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast