Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldie but goodie? Savage model 16

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Do you happen to know what the stock pull weight is? The gun is likely unchanged from factory settings, but I’m not 100% on that.
    From the factory probably in the vicinity of 3.5 - 4lbs. My flat back 7RM trigger, untouched from the factory, is 3.5lbs.

Banned
    That’s a very valid point and makes complete sense. I’m glad I asked! I’ll stick with a scope mounted level.

I was just looking at the Talley website and they offer a scope-ring base combo for the flat back. The description sounds great but I’m a rookie so I may be falling for another gimmick. I’ll copy and paste the description below…

“Made in America, these Savage pre-Accutrigger Scope Mounts made by Talley Manufacturing offer a unique and simplified one-piece scope ring and base solution for Savage pre-Accutrigger rifles with flat rear receivers. This simplified mounting system eliminates the possibility of an “out of alignment” interface or “loose connection” between the ring and base of traditional two-piece designs. Ultimately this provides more strength and durability than rival steel rings and bases, but with a lighter overall weight. Fully CNC machined from lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum to the industries tightest tolerances, this rigid scope mounting platform requires no lapping and is ready to go out of the box.”

Sounds like a no brainer for $55.95. I’m too gullible. I’m also grateful for all the wisdom you folks have here, so thank you so much for your time!
    Those are fine. I prefer the Picatinny rail & Rings. But I only use Talley for the Picatinny rail. I use another brand of 7075 Aluminum scope rings. Funny enough, the Picatinny rings I use have a bubble level in them. But that’s not why I got them, LOL! Some people like the two piece mount style as you are looking at. They are very affordable as a bonus. But you will find that ALL professional shootists use the One Piece Picatinny rail & Rings setup. Nothing wrong with the Talley Picatinny rings either. I simply prefer another brand. I’ll be honest with you my friend. You are going to receive as different options for Rail & Rings setups as people who will respond. Everyone has their own favorite, and reasons why. I’m not going to try to convince you to get this or that. I’m going to tell you the truth. ALL the well known manufacturers of Scope Mounts, Rail & Rings work! They all do what they are supposed to. Some do it a little better, but you’d never know unless you are using very large, powerful cartridges with Bone Jarring recoil. Shooting standard cartridges, they all work! Even the cheap, CHINESIUM mounts from eBay work…. Not the best… but they work. It’s just they won’t last, and break easier. And they are ugly. And that’s really what it’s about. Scope mounting (among the high quality manufacturers), is about the looks that each person prefers. Or perhaps the “Name” of a specific manufacturer. Some choose products based on a name. So there it is. Any all of the US manufacturers have high quality products. It’s good to look at them, do your own research (exactly like you are doing already), and choose the one which appeals to you, and fits your budget. Sorry for the long account.. but that is the truth of the matter.

By the by: here is a pic of the Talley Pic rail & other Rings I use.

Banned
    Do you happen to know what the stock pull weight is? The gun is likely unchanged from factory settings, but I’m not 100% on that.
    LOL… I missed this. Luckily Phil noticed. HAHAHA. I agree with Phil. Hopefully you have a Three Screw trigger. If you want, at some point, pull the Action from the stock & take some pics of the trigger. If you have trouble with posting pictures, you can text them or email them to me & I’ll host them here for you. And again, I set triggers up for members here at no charge. Also, I make lighter bar springs for the older trigger as well. I can just send you one if you’d like. Again, no charge. PM me in the future if ever interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12