Thread: Re-barreling Question: Model 12 Standard Shank 6.5 Creed

Re-barreling Question: Model 12 Standard Shank 6.5 Creed

Happy Holidays Savage folks. I am in the middle of a re-barreling project of my Savage Model 12FV rifle. I have it disassembled with barrel off. I'd like some advice on the best way to clean the threads on the action and barrel nut. I have wiped it out, sprayed some Ballistic on it, used a wire brush, alcohol swabs, etc. There is some kind of gritty thread locker they must use at Savage. Really sticks in the thread grooves. I have a new barrel nut on order but not sure when to expect that. New supplier for me (gunshack.com), so fingers crossed they are legit and have good customer service.

Banned
    So, no worries on Gun Shack. We’ve been using them for years.. never a problem.

For the thread cleaning, I use good old Acetone for everything. It burns through & melts sticky-mess goo like nothing! I’ve used it on things that Alcohol & even brake clean wouldn’t touch. The Acetone just melted the grime away.

Good news on Gun Shack. I'm in the KC area, so Midway, Brownells, and others make it too easy. Makes sense on the Acetone. Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure I don't use something that will potentially harm the action threads.

Banned
    They'll be fine. Threads are the same high alloy, ordnance steel the rest of the Action is comprised of

Basic Member
    It's not Loctite in the threads, it is Bluing salts from the Bluing process. I've always used a thread chaser to clean the action threads, then Acetone to clean up the residue.

Basic Member
    Probably not even bluing salts, it's media from shot blasting that gets in between the nut and barrel. I've had to use a dental pick a time or 2 to get them unstuck from the threads.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Wait a minute!! I don’t think we can take any chances here! KSLawDot… can you take a sample and send it to the nearest lab for Compositional Testing? There’s just too much speculation & the very fabric of TIME may rest on this! We can’t be too careful

LOL! I’m sorry, I’m sorry…just struck me funny.

Seriously, Merry Christmas guys.

Dremel with radial wire brush. I use a 1 1/16" - 20 tap if I need to.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    And now that you have it cleaned up- don't forget to apply something back on the threads when you put your new barrel back on- some kind of anti-seize. It will make your life easier down the road.

Banned
    Asroshell Moly or equivalent. I have a ton of it. Be glad to send you some in a tube if you want.

Thanks everyone for your experience with this. I was able to clean the action and it threads on smoothly. The barrel nut on the other hand does not and I’m not comfortable trying to force it. I ordered a new one ealier this week. Hopefully it will be here next week. It’s so stinkin’ cold here I won’t be going to the range anytime soon anyway.