Thread: Cleaning 99 rotary well

Basic Member

Cleaning 99 rotary well

Hello
    So my 99 has been subject to rain, sleet, snow, fog, mist, 10 degrees and on and on this deer season.
    Dry it off in cold garage everynight, along with a rub down of orange bottle hoppes gun oil on the metal.
    So, when this season ends, It will need a though cleaning.
    How would you suggest cleaning the cartridge well, it has the brass rotor, so no rust worries for that.
    My initial plans are Birchwood Casey gun scrubber, applied upside down to allow drainage, crap ect to run out.with a hoppe gun oil patch worked in and around the well with a plastic pick to protect the metal inside belly ?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member
    I'd remove the stock's first so the solvents won't damage the finish, other than that it's sounds like a good plan! The solvent will drain into the stock tang and forearm area. If you have an air compressor, blow dry the areas!!

Basic Member
    Good idea, thanks
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymaster View Post
    Hello
    So my 99 has been subject to rain, sleet, snow, fog, mist, 10 degrees and on and on this deer season.
    Dry it off in cold garage everynight, along with a rub down of orange bottle hoppes gun oil on the metal.
    So, when this season ends, It will need a though cleaning.
    How would you suggest cleaning the cartridge well, it has the brass rotor, so no rust worries for that.
    My initial plans are Birchwood Casey gun scrubber, applied upside down to allow drainage, crap ect to run out.with a hoppe gun oil patch worked in and around the well with a plastic pick to protect the metal inside belly ?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Gun Scrubber is an excellent choice.

Removing and replacing the carrier is actually pretty straight forward. There are some great videos available on how to go about it. I would strongly suggest not putting any more oil/solvent in it unless you tear it down. Most carriers I've taken apart were full of crud from years of oiling and purging cycles.

Have a look at these in order and you'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyvTwuVeqUM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5vDpIFiKFM

This next one is mine and if you really want to get into your carrier, have a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t8rZIFcYQM

Basic Member
    Water in the action from hunting will dry and shouldn't need a deep clean. If it does get wet during hunting, I'd suggest taking a hair dryer or similar and blowing it into the open bolt for a while as soon as you can. Be aware that water/oil/etc inside the receiver can easily get to the buttstock, especially if you stand it up on the buttstock.

If you have old, gummy oil buildup inside, a fellow collector put me onto a simple trick. Boiling water. Remove the stocks, open the bolt, hold the barrel with an oven mitt, and pour a small pot full of boilng water into the receiver letting it run through and out. It'll dissolve most gunk, and boiling water will evaporate almost immediately when you pour it out. Still a good idea to hit it with a fan or hair dryer to get all the moisture inside.

Just my $0.02.

It won't shine the rotor, but I really don't need shiny numbers in the cartridge counter window for myself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalhounRR View Post
    . . . . .but I really don't need shiny numbers in the cartridge counter window for myself.
    I never did see the necessity of the cartridge counter window anyway!

NONE of my other rifles have it, and I don’t need to see how many cartridges I have remaining!

I don’t believe ANY non-M99 owners have ever thought, “I wonder how many I have left!”

Basic Member

Cleaning 99 rotary well

Quote Originally Posted by JimFsh View Post
    I never did see the necessity of the cartridge counter window anyway!

NONE of my other rifles have it, and I don’t need to see how many cartridges I have remaining!

I don’t believe ANY non-M99 owners have ever thought, “I wonder how many I have left!”
    This is why savage eliminated it when they were looking for ways to reduce production costs on the 99 models. The pre 60 models with the counter window are usually more sought after and typically demand more $ than the post 60 models that came without the counter.
    I have one with the counter and one without the counter.

Basic Member
    They only totally eliminated it on the detachable clip models. The majority of post-1960 99E's don't have cartridge counters - but some do. Like the first and last year or so of production, and some around 1970.

The 99DL/99F/75th Anniversary/99A/99-358/99-375 models made after 1960 still had cartridge counters.