Thread: scope base for model 12?

scope base for model 12?

My son has an older model 12 in 223 that he's trying to get to 1000 yds with (you know, kids), and he's using a Sightron SIII 8-32x 56mm, with burris signature rings (20 MOA) and a 20 MOA rail, and he can just barely do it, but the scope is at the limit of its verticle adjustment, which makes the windage adjustments wonky (according to Sightron). He could likely do what he wants with a 40 MOA base, but I cannot find one for the older "flat" rear action ring.

Does anyone know of such a thing??? At this point his only option is a scope with a 34mm tube (like Leupold MK5)... all very spendy, and then he'd lose the 20 MOA in the Burris rings... net zero gain. Or a scope with more than 70MOA of verticle, still in a 30mm tube.

He does want a variable scope of about 24X on the top end since mirage gets pretty bad beyond that magnification, and he intends to use it on his 6.5PRC for big game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nsege View Post
    My son has an older model 12 in 223 that he's trying to get to 1000 yds with (you know, kids), and he's using a Sightron SIII 8-32x 56mm, with burris signature rings (20 MOA) and a 20 MOA rail, and he can just barely do it, but the scope is at the limit of its verticle adjustment, which makes the windage adjustments wonky (according to Sightron). He could likely do what he wants with a 40 MOA base, but I cannot find one for the older "flat" rear action ring. Does anyone know of such a thing??? At this point his only option is a scope with a 34mm tube (like Leupold MK5)... all very spendy, and then he'd lose the 20 MOA in the Burris rings... net zero gain. Or a scope with more than 70MOA of verticle, still in a 30mm tube. He does want a variable scope of about 24X on the top end since mirage gets pretty bad beyond that magnification, and he intends to use it on his 6.5PRC for big game as well.
    The Leupold Mark 5 is a 35mm scope tube. It takes a special shooter, rifle and a special bullet to get any kind of accuracy out of it at that range. 223's are not known for 1000 yds. You could put a .005" shim in the back but my first question is, what bullet is he shooting? Have you run a dope chart to see exactly what you are dealing with? I don't think a 40 moa base is a good thing with that long scope...unless you want to raise it up substantially.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Maybe look at 1 of the adjustable bases, With a fixed base for that distance you'll never get back to us 2 or 300 yd 0 Without changing the base again

Banned
    As Robin said, you can shim it. It’s the cheap & dirty method. But it works. There are also 40moa rails available. Only thing with too much rail off-set, forget shooting anything close. Blue Avenger touched on the the same thing with the adjustable rails.

And lastly, there are other 34mm scopes as well that offer well over 100moa and are very affordable. The Arken SH-4 can be had for under $300. https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-...67&sr=8-5&th=1

And it’s big brother the EP-5 for under $450.
    https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-...67&sr=8-6&th=1

And here, the Riton X7 at a bit more, $699, but with an enormous 130moa elevation.
    https://www.amazon.com/Riton-Optics-...ps%2C61&sr=8-9

Basic Member
    There should be 55 MOA of cant available in the Signature rings, and if you are only using 20 MOA inserts, there is enough to maximize the scope with only the 20 MOA rail he has.

I think my old Zeiss V4 Conquest 4-16 has 110 MOA of travel, and it is a 30 MM tube. While it isn't my favorite scope, i have taken it to almost 1500 yards. There are plenty of scopes out there with 90 moa or more of total travel in a 30mm tube. I haven't used one, but the Athalon Midas Tac 6-24 has 90. For 1000 yards you don't need a huge amount of magnification

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    There should be 55 MOA of cant available in the Signature rings, and if you are only using 20 MOA inserts, there is enough to maximize the scope with only the 20 MOA rail he has.

I think my old Zeiss V4 Conquest 4-16 has 110 MOA of travel, and it is a 30 MM tube. While it isn't my favorite scope, i have taken it to almost 1500 yards. There are plenty of scopes out there with 90 moa or more of total travel in a 30mm tube. I haven't used one, but the Athalon Midas Tac 6-24 has 90. For 1000 yards you don't need a huge amount of magnification
    Hes shooting 1000yds with 223 Rem. And didn’t saying anything about reloading it. So, yeah.. ya do need good bit of elevation on account of a ton of drop.

Basic Member
    I would think you would have more than enough already... Something in the setup must not be working right- because even with a 223 it shouldn't take that much to get to 1000. Unless using a very poor bullet for distance? I was shooting with a guy that was using factory ammo loaded with Hornady Vmax 53 grain bullets and it was just over 30 moa with those for 1000. He didn't have a very good hit rate- but even if you pick a heavier bullet that can't be pushed as fast you should still be able to get to 1000 in the 40-45 moa range...

** Love the mark 5.... 70 moa of travel left after 100 yard zero with 0 moa base

Banned
    Yeah, the Mark5 is up there! 120MOA total elevation. My US Optics is close at almost 110MOA. It’s comforting having that on tap, I won’t lie. So I’m not going to start tongue wag’n to those with scopes that have only 70MOA and tell them they have enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, the Mark5 is up there! 120MOA total elevation. My US Optics is close at almost 110MOA. It’s comforting having that on tap, I won’t lie. So I’m not going to start tongue wag’n to those with scopes that have only 70MOA and tell them they have enough!
    I have never needed that much elevation. But I do'nt shoot 22 long rifle at 1000 yards.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have never needed that much elevation. But I do'nt shoot 22 long rifle at 1000 yards.
    Only Miculek can do that.

And he pulls the trigger with his Mustache!!