Thread: What would you use.

Team Savage

What would you use.

I live in a rural area about 45 mile south of Denver and this year put in for a mule deer tag for my yard and got it. I live in an area of 5 acre lots and we have a herd of about 20-25 deer that live here. We are supposed to have 10 acres before you can shoot on your property but my neighbor says I can count her property as she grows gardens and would love to see a reduction in the deer population. The CPW has a special season for this area because of the congestion and lack of hunting to try and thin the deer out but my property falls outside of this special area by about a mile.

My questions is what gun to use in this area. The most likely shot would be from my front porch at about 30 yards with a down angle of about 15-20 degrees and would really like to drop a buck without having to go into a neighbors yard. I have many rifles to choose from but was thinking of using either my target Model 10 .308 or my 110 Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both of these rifles are threaded and I do have a suppressor. I would most likely use either factory Hornady Precision Hunter with 178gr ELD-X for the .308 or the same brand ammo for the 6.5 with 143gr ELD-X. I also reload and have these same bullets and can load down to a lower fps if i should need. I also have everything from Winchester 30-30s (about 8 of these). Other Winchesters such as 30-06 and 300 H&H Magnum. and many others. Another option is a T/C muzzleloader in 50cal to I can use a really heavy bullet and not have to worry about the bullet may travel too far at the angle I am shooting should it exit the animal. It should still be going down into the ground.

Any thoughts?

Barry

At 30 yards the ELD-X bullets may just come apart on impact. unless you can load them down a little bit. so, maybe that good ol 30-30 with a good bullet might be the weapon of choice?? I'd certainly want something that would plant them DRT. The 6.5 might be that too if you're taking a headshot or something like that where accuracy would be key?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    At 30 yards the ELD-X bullets may just come apart on impact. unless you can load them down a little bit. so, maybe that good ol 30-30 with a good bullet might be the weapon of choice?? I'd certainly want something that would plant them DRT. The 6.5 might be that too if you're taking a headshot or something like that where accuracy would be key?

Headshot is not a problem, the 308 and 6.5 are sub MOA rifles.

Since I have a buck tag, I would like to not take the headshot and maybe get a mount done.

The .308 and 6.5 were in the mix because I have the can to suppress the noise a bit. Remember I do have neighbors.

Barry

I've hunted Whitetail deer here in Indiana for years with a T/C 50 cal. with jacketed pistol bullets in sabots. The deer never ran far if at all.
    Maybe something like these...

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/trad...B1QVv1bu_iv5rE

Basic Member
    Since you reload - a 308 Win downloaded to near 30-30 velocity would be good at 30 yards. Issue is finding powder and a reduced load that shoots well. On the farm, we had a 30-06 for open spaces and a 303 Brit for closer in the trees and brush. Didn't handload then, but a reduced load in either of them could have helped.

Basic Member
    When you get caught, they take your rifle, fine you, and loose hunting rights for 5 years. ​In some states.

Archery season? May have different regulations?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    When you get caught, they take your rifle, fine you, and loose hunting rights for 5 years. ​In some states.

Archery season? May have different regulations?

Well I have 5 acres and with my neighbors 5 acres I am good to shoot on my land. No issues there, I am just looking for others ideas on the best way to DRT a muley and also be kind to the neighbors ears. I have many times dispatched skunks and raccoons with a .22 on my property after trapping.

I am more looking for what is less likely to exit the animal keeping the bullet from possibly leaving my property. Will be shooting most likely about 10 yards from the fence line going to the neighbors proper with whom I have the permission to use her land. I will be shooting at a down angle so if a bullet exits it will most likely hit the dirt.

I will then only need to get the carcass about 20 yards to my barn to dress it.

based on the information you provided, sounds like the silenced 6.5 shooting the 143 ELD-X and take the high shoulder shot is your best option. It will save the antlers, but you might loose a little of the back strap... The bullet will probably turn into shrapnel though.

Anything in the white patch on the neck will drop em. Especially varmint bullets at 3200fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Not for nothing, but if your max shot is 30 yds, I would take a 12 ga shooting buckshot. But that's just me.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    Not for nothing, but if your max shot is 30 yds, I would take a 12 ga shooting buckshot. But that's just me.

David

From Colorado Parks and Wildlife website

3. SHOTGUNS
    a.
    Must be minimum 20 gauge and fire a single slug. Use of buckshot is illegal for hunting big game.
    b. Barrel must be a minimum of 18 inches long. Minimum overall length must be 26 inches.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
    From Colorado Parks and Wildlife website

3. SHOTGUNS
    a.
    Must be minimum 20 gauge and fire a single slug. Use of buckshot is illegal for hunting big game.
    b. Barrel must be a minimum of 18 inches long. Minimum overall length must be 26 inches.
    I didn't know that. So go with a slug. More than accurate enough for 30 yds. In truth, I'd be a bit afraid of using a rifle in such a small area.

David

Basic Member
    22-250 or 223 in the neck.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Handi204 View Post
    22-250 or 223 in the neck.
    That would work.

Basic Member
    At 30 yards max with neighbors, archery equipment would be my first choice, but either of the suppressed guns should do the deed.

You might want to double check those laws. Counting your neighbor's land as yours might not fly with the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Timb View Post
    At 30 yards max with neighbors, archery equipment would be my first choice, but either of the suppressed guns should do the need.

You might want to double check those laws. Counting your neighbor's land as yours might not fly with the authorities.
    This or something 358 win sized
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    357 mag from your porch

Team Savage

30yds? 12 gauge slug and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Basic Member
    ^^^^^^^^ Totally agree.

Another vote for the venerable old Winchester 30-30.