Thread: Model 1907 .32 Troubleshooting

Model 1907 .32 Troubleshooting

Gents,
    I just picked up a model 1907 in .32ACP made in 1914. It is an unusual transitional model with the 1907 grip frame, lockwork and hammer, but with the later model magazine release seen in the model 1917.
    Kind of a cool combination of features, plus its complete, has about 60% of the finish left, no pitting or damage (save for the grip panels) and it was cheap.
    The issue I'm running into is that the gun slam fires, or the striker follows the slide home when released with force.
    I have not fired the gun with live ammunition, but it function tests here are the symptoms;

The disconnector & sear trip assembly seem to be working fine after I stretched out the springs a little (I'm sourcing replacements as we speak). Cocking the striker by hand, pressing the trigger and then cycling the slide with force will cause the striker to follow the slide home. Dropping the slide gently will keep the striker cocked. I checked the clearance between the sear trip and the sear, and when the slide is in battery the two pieces gently snug up against each other with no excessive travel that could cause the sear to trip early. I removed the entire trigger and disconnector assembly and installed the slide assembly on the frame just to confirm. As I suspected, when dropping the slide into battery with any amount of the force the striker will follow the slide home. Doing it gently will keep the striker cocked, so its not the disconnector or sear trip. I disassembled the breech plug/bolt, cleaned and inspected the sear, striker and engagement surfaces, and all seems in order. I couldn't get the sear removed to check the spring, but disassembling and reassembling the striker and cocking lever was enough of a headache that I'm not in a hurry to go back and try any time soon.
    Scouring the internet reveals that trigger issues are common for these guns, but solutions are not. I've heard of the sear engagement surface, the sear slot on the bolt body, striker engagement surface, sear spring and Indian curses being the culprit.
    Any similar issues or experience?

I'm hoping this will help. It might be that your firing pin has "rounded out where the sear contacts it. The quick check for this is turn your firing pin 180 and reinstall it. So when you take out the firing pin mark the bottom of it. When you put it back in index the mark so it is up. This gives you a hopefully fairly new area for the sear to sit in. If this works, it did in one I help another guy with, you should pick up a new firing pin. Thankfully that part is easy to find.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/sa...ollow.1156331/

Here is a thread that kind of says the same thing. Hope it helps

I think I saw that same trick mentioned somewhere else, but for the life of me I couldn't find it again. Does the striker function okay if you reinstall it upside down, or is this just a test to determine if a new one is needed?

Functions just fine. The striker is made universally and can be put in in either orientation.

Update. Issue has been fixed. I ordered a replacement striker and sear spring from Jack First Parts and after I cleaned up the engagement surface on the sear with a diamond file and once all the new parts were installed and sear cleaned up everything functioned as it should.