Thread: A-22 Magnum on the way!

A-22 Magnum on the way!

Finally found availability and okay price and pulled the trigger on an A-22Mag. I've been wanting one for a while but they just haven't been around, either in-store or online. I'm pleased to finally get one.

Any advice as to break-in or ammo choice? I've read mostly positive reports about accuracy and I'm hoping that I'll see MOA or better with preferred ammo...and I hope that the preferred ammo isn't the extra-expensive CCI A-22 stuff.

Any info or opinions appreciated!

As with any rimfire, you're just going to have to try a variety of ammo to find what your particular barrel likes. Aside from that, it's been my experience that 22 WMR ammo generally isn't very consistent so getting great groups with any type is a shot in the dark. Best I think I've ever got from a 22 WMR was 3/4", with most better groups falling in the 1" to 1-1/4" range. That's plenty accurate for any hunting needs which is all the WMR was ever intended to be.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    As with any rimfire, you're just going to have to try a variety of ammo to find what your particular barrel likes.
    Yeah, it'll take testing several ammos. I figured there might be some here with specific experience with the A-22Mag.

So the A-22 Mag has landed...I got to spend a little range time with this morning.
    First impression is good in terms of appearance and handling...initial range results not so much. Bluing is okay and the look and feel of the synthetic stock is good. The stock is light and feels flexible but front and rear action screws as opposed to Ruger's single one on the 10/22 make it relatively sturdy. It comes with a split scope mount rather than a rail...definitely a minus, IMO. Trigger is set very heavy from the factory and adjustment is limited. I couldn't find the "supplied tool" for adjustment and had to make one - it's a slotted tool to turn and increase/decrease tension on the coil spring. I eventually got it down to maybe 3.5 lbs but it would be a lot nicer if the adjustment could bring it down at least another lb. Break-in will likely make things smoother and lighter.
    Accuracy out of the box was definitely not impressive. I tested several types of ammo and nothing grouped well. I'll hope that a good cleaning and more break-in will shrink groups. In terms of cycling, things were mostly good. I didn't have a lot of the feeding problems that I've read about in some reviews, but the mags do need to be seated very intentionally to make things function. The only ammo that just wouldn't feed was some Hornady 35 gr. Ejection was problematic, for whatever reason and the those V-Max bullets just didn't want to cooperate with the feed ramp and missed the chamber and jammed up into the top of the action. Everything else functioned and fed fine, though.
    I won't judge too harshly just yet. I broke it down after the range session and cleaned things up and honed a couple of parts and set the trigger as light as possible. I'll give it another go in the next week or so and write up a report. I'll bring along my Rossi R-22 Mag semi-auto and do some side-by-side comparison and compare best groups.