Thread: MDT XRS Chassis LA

MDT XRS Chassis LA

Considering buying this chassis for my 111 in 300 win mag. This chassis uses the AICS 3.850" CIP magazines.

When did Savage start using this cutout length? My rifle is 8-12 years old with detachable mag. I'd have to dig out receipt to get more accurate on age.

Banned
    Hmm… as far as I knew, only the Savage 110 in 338 Lapua has that inlet.

I know the standard long action and the one used with the .338 are different above the stock.

Is the bottom half of the receiver the same with a different magwell?

Banned
    Not sure what you mean by “above the stock” The 110BA is a standard Large Shank. They do have larger mag boxes, of course.

I’m not certain about the Small Shank LA’s. Question.. why don’t you simply measure yours? You said you have a 111 in 300 WM, right?

I think the answer your looking for is the the stock itself is what accepts and mates the ACIS mag's to the 110 savage.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m not certain about the Small Shank LA’s. Question.. why don’t you simply measure yours? You said you have a 111 in 300 WM, right?
    In trying to find info on if this would fit, there was an article mentioning the 338 receiver has a solid top and the 111 doesn't.

Banned
    Oh, I get what what you mean. Yes, the 110BA is a port action, or I’ve heard them called hooded Action. But yeah, I get it… the “top”, lol! Sorry, my bad. It’s just looks. The Action itself is the same 5.062” screw length Long Action. But it’s a Large Shank, vs your Small Shank. Or maybe your’s is Large Shank as well?

Your Action will fit the Chassis. Yes! Same screw length. But I haven’t measured the Action mag well at the bottom. That’s why I was saying you should measure yours. Maybe Jim or Fred might know off the top of their heads.

Typing on phone so not as descriptive as I could be.

Is the receiver ring diameter the same between large and small shank.

Measuring my action might be easier said than done. Bought the rifle with plans to build a target rifle. Sold barrel and stock. Put other parts in a zip lock on a box. Now I need to find the box. Think it's with the 03 receivers.

Basic Member
    So if I'm not understanding what your saying then just disregard this....

On a KRG bravo for the rem 700 it came set up for CIP magazines- but had a little plastic piece that can be inserted in the chassis so it will accept regular aics mags. Before the plastic piece was inserted the rounds would move forward and would get hung up on the front of the action because it was not milled for the CIP length.

I have a CIP LA mag floating around somewhere... if you don't get a answer soon I'm sure I can find it and see how it sits with a standard 110.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by packratt View Post
    Typing on phone so not as descriptive as I could be.

Is the receiver ring diameter the same between large and small shank.

Measuring my action might be easier said than done. Bought the rifle with plans to build a target rifle. Sold barrel and stock. Put other parts in a zip lock on a box. Now I need to find the box. Think it's with the 03 receivers.
    HAHAHA! Yeah, I know about that! Little brain damage goes a loooong way, know what I mean?

So, the Receivers, (Actions), are the same diameters. I believe 1.35”. Roughly the same as a Rem 700 Action. It’s the Action Tenon thread size which is different. The Small Shank is 1.055”x20TPI & the Large Shank measures 1.120”x20TPI. So again, the fit in this chassis you are looking at is no problem. If it’s listed for a a model 110 Long Action, it will fit. All Long Actions have the same diameter & screw spacing (5.062”) The only thing I’m not sure if is the mag opening length. Obviously, the internal box mags are different length.

If I remember correctly the large shank thread bore is in the neighborhood of 1.079" depending on the thread engagement Savage chose. Where the small shank is more like 1.016" + or - thread bore. If you do not have the barrel I feel like the thread bore is the easiest way to determine what thread size your actions mortise was machined to. Now,..... Why do you need the 3.850" length magazine?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.