Thread: AICS Style .308 bottom metal for Bottom Bolt release

Basic Member

AICS Style .308 bottom metal for Bottom Bolt release

besides PTG, whats out there now?

I ask because most of the threads are over 10 years old.
    CDI is long gone

Woops, not bottom bolt release compatible, my mistake!

Banned
    Can be ordered for either TBR or BBR. Why do you want BESIDES that??

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9137-sa-savage-stealth-dbm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Can be ordered for either TBR or BBR. Why do you want BESIDES that??

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9137-sa-savage-stealth-dbm.html
    Guessing because of all the horrible reviews of the PTG bottom metal on this forum and others. I know they steared me clear of it as an option.

OP, I would and did just bite the bullet and go chassis, at $238 for the PTG, you're like $51 away from a Trybe ROCS if you get the black model and use a %10 off coupon at optics planet.
    The Trybe ROCS is pretty darn light at 3# 4.3oz (measured by me https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-PICS-included) and can be had for under around $289 (black model and using %10 off coupon) if weight and cost are issues.
    Otherwise, on the other end of the spectrum, there's the MDT HNT26 that blows everything out of the water weight wise, but is ove a grand. I personally ended up with the Oryx chassis and am happy with it thus far.

Basic Member
    PTG to many bad reviews, and its ugly. Don't like chassis, already have a good fiberglass stock

Banned
    Well, it would appear they are the only game in town. I’ve actually come to find PTG offers high quality parts which work well. And I will always use a PTG Bolt Head with every Savage Action I have in the future. They are so nicely machined & just much nicer than stock Bolt heads. I’ll say this. Beware of some so called “reviews” here about PTG specifically. I’ve found several to be merely repeated by others who have never even dealt with PTG. This is a popular, if not dishonest practice by many people on Forums. Also, there were some BAD BUSINESS dealings with certain persons here who have been allowed to condemn all PTG people arts because of personal dealings. I was critical of them myself at first, but some things didn’t seem right. So I spoke with Dave Kiff directly, who started PTG. He told me some stories which shed light on certain biases. I decided NOT to listen to certain bad reviews here. And glad I went that path. I recommend learning things on your own and make your own decisions. But I digress.

If you don’t like the style, I understand that completely. So that leaves you with going to a Chassis that does support BBR. Unfortunately, as for a Bottom Metal, think you’re out of luck.

The big caveat with PT&G stuff is the bolt parts. I've personally seen PT&G bolt bodies that were too long or too big in diameter, and bolt heads where the cross-pin hole in the tail wasn't drilled in the correct location to align with the hole in the bolt body. That said, I've also seen Savage bolt bodies that were too long or short, and even got a bolt head that had never been drilled for the ejector pin/spring one time. No company is perfect, but for the premium PT&G charges for their stuff I don't see enough benefit being offered to warrant the extra cost. To each their own though.

As for PT&G's bolt heads "looking nicer," that's most likely because Savage tumble's theirs whereas PT&G doesn't appear to. This is why the edges are rounded and there's a slight dish in the face of the factory bolt heads.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Generally the stuff that I'd gotten from PT&G had been good to acceptable- but the bad reviews are not lies-- It may not have happened to you yet but keep dealing with them and your turn will come. A huge part of the problem is just the simple missing their delivery date stuff-- very annoying but doesn't really speak to the quality. I do understand the hate though when you order something that shows "in stock" and then they send you an email saying it will ship in about 1 month- and then receiving the item a little over 1 year later (my last order from them). But the quality has been going down hill-- and quite a bit of out of spec items. It is almost impossible to get a reply from them... and not worth the effort. On my last order I had an out of spec tool- but rather than waste countless hours trying to remedy it- just going to eat it and move to a different company.

I found these guys - don't know anything about them but they might have what your looking for - someday...
    https://jaoutdoors.com/product/savag...-bottom-metal/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottike View Post
    I found these guys - don't know anything about them but they might have what your looking for - someday...
    I’ve purchased from JA Outdoors and was pleased with the transactions. I’ve also found stuff on EBay about as often … as in “occasionally”.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Scottike View Post
    I just sent them a message to see if that is compatible with BBR models. Would be cool if it was.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa_D View Post
    I just sent them a message to see if that is compatible with BBR models. Would be cool if it was.

We’ve discussed this before. Yes, it fits either TBR or BBR. There is a slot in the bottom for the release.

It’s reinforced here as well. https://www.eabco.net/ORYX-Chassis-S...n_p_16062.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    We’ve discussed this before. Yes, it fits either TBR or BBR. There is a slot in the bottom for the release.

It’s reinforced here as well. https://www.eabco.net/ORYX-Chassis-S...n_p_16062.html
    Interesting. The company claims in the reply it is not compatible. Will check that link.

Edit: it appears we are talking about two different things. I was referring to the bottom metal only. The Oryx is absolutely compatible with BBRs.

Banned
    Oh man! I’m sorry Papa D! LOL! I had Oryx on the brain from another thread & thought this was it. My apologies. No, the Bottom Metal listed there is incompatible. I actually believe this has been discussed as well, that PTG is the only known BBR compatible bottom metal.

But ya know… anything will fit with given some modifications… Probably not too much either.