Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage reciever not straight at scope base... wtf?

That looks better then the open tank I had to find S&W frames in. 4ft by 20". If I put 30 in, I had to make sure 30 came out. No inventory count allowance was allowed.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    OK… Once again, adjustable rings do nothing for the rail not fitting due to too much material removed from the Action. So no they are not best. More like a jury rig” at best. The best way to go is addressing the absent material of the Action.
    Your exactly right in as far as your letting your self go with rail mount. He dose have a 2 piece mount that could have been used. Not needed now as he bedded the rail.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Fix it or let someone else fix it. You will likely damage any scope you try to secure to that rail. You would be luckier still if the scope could be zero-ed. Lapped rings or not. Sharpshooter has fixed them( and so have I). It takes some know how with proper tools and instruments to do it right. It needs to be tested for straightness and to make sure the bolt travels smoothly in the action. It helps tremendously if you have done it before. It is also possible that rail is already garbage. For people who have never done it it seems like an easy backyard shade tree mechanic hack would work. And maybe this once it might but from a guy that brought home a tee shirt there is too much bend to expect things to fall into place with a little epoxy between the base and the rear of the action. The screw axis is even different. So send it to Sharpshooter and be happy. He will get the base mounts as linear as anyone can get them. He can make the front and rear of the action concentric as best it can be restored. Your bolt will slide easily and you will have a nice action. For a little more, timed and trued.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Send it to Sharpshooter to straighten if you want it done right. Or the zee rings will work if you just have to. If you don't fix it you are going to crush the tubes on your scope.

A little different take from my eyes. I know we all like to tinker and fix/improve Savages but that looks like a straight up manufacturing defect that made it through quality control un noticed. I would think Savage would just straight up replace that one without regard to age and no questions asked. Its not like that part of the receiver is a wear and tear item or anything. Well... unless youre using it as leverage to break lugnuts loose or something.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I had one with the same problem and had Savage replace it under warranty.
    Man and man's best friend. Still looking at the green side of sod

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    a little different take from my eyes. I know we all like to tinker and fix/improve savages but that looks like a straight up manufacturing defect that made it through quality control un noticed. I would think savage would just straight up replace that one without regard to age and no questions asked. Its not like that part of the receiver is a wear and tear item or anything. Well... Unless youre using it as leverage to break lugnuts loose or something.
    b-i-n-g-o

Basic Member
    Forgot to update. I did epoxy, lapped rings, threw an old scope on there to test and took it off and no damage. Put my burris on and shoots lights out. No issues with accuracy or damage. I was happy to have my 358 and also to harvest my biggest buck last weekend!
    Would savage do anything with it being older? Would prefer to not dump more money into it

Banned
    Like I said. You’re welcome, LOL.

Need a little validation Dave? Thanks .....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sh40674 View Post
    Forgot to update. I did epoxy, lapped rings, threw an old scope on there to test and took it off and no damage. Put my burris on and shoots lights out. No issues with accuracy or damage. I was happy to have my 358 and also to harvest my biggest buck last weekend!
    Would savage do anything with it being older? Would prefer to not dump more money into it
    They would replace the action with a newer round action it they did anything. You would be buying another base

Basic Member
    Haha thanks man! Always appreciate input whether I hit people up on their offers or not. I dont mean to offend anyone if I don't hit them up, I'm a guy who likes to experiment and fail and learn the hard way sometimes haha

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    They would replace the action with a newer round action it they did anything. You would be buying another base
    They sent me an email back asking for a little more info (serial number and such) gonna wait to hear from them and go from there. I kinda want to message a couple people on here to get it straightened but on the flip side it seems to be shooting great, regardless how much jb weld I had to use lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh40674 View Post
    Haha thanks man! Always appreciate input whether I hit people up on their offers or not. I dont mean to offend anyone if I don't hit them up, I'm a guy who likes to experiment and fail and learn the hard way sometimes haha

LIL! No.. not at all man. It wasn’t you at all. My response was actually meant “tongue in cheek”. A page & a half of all these guesses.. “I think it’s this”… “It looks like that!”. Meanwhile the very simple remedy I mentioned as the first response, because I was pretty well certain it would work, ended up doing exactly that. Sometimes it’s the simple things.

Also, I’m never offended if I’m not taken up on an offer bud. Not at all. I enjoy doing things for members…makes a worthless, half cripple bum like me not give up & die I think.. LOL! But I get it entirely man. Sometimes a person just wants to accomplish a project in its entirety, on their own. I’ve taken that same route myself many times over. Trial by fire, as it were.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12