Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to take weight off my 110 ?

How to take weight off my 110 ?

My 110 LRH in 7mm rem mag is listed as 8.05 lbs . How could I reduce the overall weight and how much is it possible to remove ?

Flute the bolt ? Titanium bolt knob ?
    Also , what about Titanium scope mount and rings ?

Going back pack hunting next year and trying to lesson the load , LOL
    Thanks !
    No matter where you go , there you are !

Banned
    Remember, Aluminum is lighter than Titanium. The easiest, most productive method is shortening the barrel. Other than that, the answer to your questions is Yes, but only those items which are steel. No one thing is going to drastically reduce weight. Aluminum rings are already lighter than the Titanium. But replacing anything Steel with Aluminum or Titanium will see improvement in weight. Go Aluminum first, unless strength demands Titanium. Bolt handle & the BAS I have are both Titanium. I use Titanium Action screws and anywhere else I can. But my scope rail & scope mount are both Aluminum. Check your stock weight. If it’s wood, you can drill certain places or switch to polymer. Removing material obviously lowers weight. If it’s polymer, they are about the lightest there is. Use the lightest scope you can find. Fluting the bolt doesn’t really net any discernible weight difference.

Dave pretty much summed it up for ya. Savage's are a bit on the heavy side and there's no getting around that. Even the "lightweight" models with the additional machining on the action only weight a couple ounces less than a standard action - the "lightening" is more cosmetic to make you think it's lighter (marketing head games), but seriously it's only 2 maybe 3 ounces difference.

Like Dave said, the barrel, stock and optic are the three areas to hone in on for saving weight. These days most guys tend to over-scope their hunting rifles, so more likely than not ditching that big 50mm high magnification optic for a more compact (and lighter) 40mm option that maxes out at 10 or 12x magnification could easily save you 1/2 pound or more depending on what you're currently running.

Factory synthetic stocks are about as light as you're going to find short of paying big money for a carbon fiber stock, though at present I don't know of anyone even offering a CF stock for Savage's.

On the barrel, ditch the long heavy barrel in favor of a shorter lighter weight contour. You bought into the fad like soo many others, but in the real world that fad just isn't practical for what you're wanting to do. Long heavy barrels only belong on two types or rifles - dedicated competition rifles and sit-n-shoot varmint rifles.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks guys !

Easier to just skip a meal or two? Depends on what's being cooked.

Buy a 300$ 110 7mag with plastic stock.

Don’t mess with a good gun and please don’t cut the barrel.

Barrel length is the knees for velocity.

Get a pencil barrel. .270 30-06 300wm 7mm
    Something along those lines.

Personally along those lines if you need a shoulder behind the shoulder shot.

If you can get within 200yds or so and make high neck shots. Well that opens I up doors for lighter bullets and cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t mess with a good gun and please don’t cut the barrel.
    +1

Team Savage

Add another plus, my '85 110E in 7RM, 24" barrel, wood stock, plastic butt plate and trigger guard weighs 8lbs with the fixed 4x scope (how I hunted with that is beyond me). I didn't care about recoil in my late 20s to early 30s and never felt nor heard the shot on game using 150gr NBTs and 160gr PTs at 2800 - 3000fps.

Today? No thanks. ;-)

Basic Member
    Didn't see where you mentioned what you were hunting.... the first thing you could do (if you don't need the performance) is use a SA cartridge that doesn't need as much barrel length.

Take a look at all the things that they did to lose weight on the Seekins Havak Element- it's crazy (and mildly expensive with a cost around $2500)- and with everything they did they are still at 6 pounds for a long action with a 22 inch barrel. Just not huge savings to be had.

If you are really going to go all in with the intention of getting as light as you can- then the best advice would be start with a better base than a savage.

Banned
    Never fails.. LOL! There’s the “use a custom action” bit.. I disagree. How is a “better” Action (your words, whatever that is), going to serve in having a lighter rig? Action weight is fairly equal. Unless you want to start with a Titanium Action? Which I think is cool, because I love Titanium… but I won’t spend the money on one! Even a full Ti Action will yield only about 8oz or less. So I recommend promoting your “better” Action elsewhere, as this is a Savage 110 Forum for those who wish to speak about Savage 10/110 series rifles and what can be done with them.

Banned
    Go with a 20” Sporter barrel & I bet you’ll be surprised how light it is. Remember though, shorting the barrel will increase BLAST, and going lighter translates to more recoil energy absorbed by the shooter! Noooo thank you. LOL!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Easier to just skip a meal or two? Depends on what's being cooked.
    ^^this. Funny but true.

I used to watch guys on motorcycles working down ounces of weight, sometimes paying hundreds for special lightweight parts.. Dished bolt heads, titanium, aluminum or plastic everything. They would brag about having a bike that is 10lb lighter. Then the guy that gets on the bike is a good 20lb or more overweight.

You'd probably be better off to lighten your pack load first. My son and daughter are hikers. They do the ultralight thing. A pack with 5 days of food and a full day of water weighs less than 20lb. That is with the tent, sleeping bag, mattress, stove, etc. The gear looks flimsy, but, it will work for more than a thousand miles.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Never fails.. LOL! There’s the “use a custom action” bit.. I disagree. How is a “better” Action (your words, whatever that is), going to serve in having a lighter rig? Action weight is fairly equal. Unless you want to start with a Titanium Action? Which I think is cool, because I love Titanium… but I won’t spend the money on one! Even a full Ti Action will yield only about 8oz or less. So I recommend promoting your “better” Action elsewhere, as this is a Savage 110 Forum for those who wish to speak about Savage 10/110 series rifles and what can be done with them.
    Your reading comprehension is as poor as your advice.

First- never recommended a custom action- used that as an example of how much effort they went to and the cost incurred to only come out 2 pounds different than what he is already at. Also- (reading comprehension...) never said a "better action".... but did say a "better base"- as in resale and aftermarket support.

Also- even though I didn't recommend it but it very well may result in a lighter action because they used aluminum to encase the necessary steel- "resulting in a lighter action".....

And finally- my point being that if you really want to do all that to get as light as possible- you will spend more doing it to a savage-

You'd probably be better off to lighten your pack load first. My son and daughter are hikers. They do the ultralight thing. A pack with 5 days of food and a full day of water weighs less than 20lb. That is with the tent, sleeping bag, mattress, stove, etc. The gear looks flimsy, but, it will work for more than a thousand miles
    For sure. Wife and I did that for years especially when we were stationed at Grand Canyon. Water was the tricky part there.

Well , I solved the problem ! First , I'm trying to lose weight , and get in better shape . I went to Colorado for a Elk hunt last month and going up and down those canyons was tough on this old guy , LOL
    Also , I have an older 110 7mm rem mag with a pencil barrel and the plastic stock , it weighs 7.4 lbs , bare , or so . I've taken a lot of deer and an Elk with it , but the thin barrel kinda freaks me out . Plus the trigger guard screw is stripped and the forearm is kinda skewed to the port side .
    So I want a rifle for Elk and spot and stalk / backpack next year .
    So , I ordered a Kimber Mountain Desolve Blak in .280AI , paid $899 , removable break and a thread cover . This rifle has an advertised weight of 5 pounds 7 ounces . I plan to put my Nikon Monarch 3 on it , and at 19 ounces that makes a 7 lbs rifle package .
    I couldn't bring myself to messing with the LRH , I'm shooting very accurate with it , I'm very happy , except for the weight . If I go horseback hunting again , I'll take it .
    Here's the Elk I shot last month with my crossbow .

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the post and the photo CRJR!

I have an older 110 7mm rem mag with a pencil barrel and the plastic stock , it weighs 7.4 lbs , bare , or so . I've taken a lot of deer and an Elk with it , but the thin barrel kinda freaks me out . Plus the trigger guard screw is stripped and the forearm is kinda skewed to the port side
    LOL! Hey it's a Savage! Had an old flat back like that in 7mm mag myself twenty years or so years ago complete with stripped rear trigger guard screw. Found a load with Nosler 120gr BTip over H4831 that was a "screamer" and deadly accurate....however...a nano second after ignition it would loosen tooth fillings.

Thanks for the post and the photo CRJR!

LOL! Hey it's a Savage! Had an old flat back like that in 7mm mag myself twenty years or so years ago complete with stripped rear trigger guard screw. Found a load with Nosler 120gr BTip over H4831 that was a "screamer" and deadly accurate....however...a nano second after ignition it would loosen tooth fillings.

Truth be told , I just got the "New Rifle bug" LOL . I have this condition called spenditus , the wife says I'm always just one purchase away from happiness . It's a terrible disease , LOL

Incurable....but the current inflation rate may offer some symptomatic relief... The Kimber sounds interesting. Would like some follow up when you get to shooting/reloading.

Inquiring minds want to know. Did you stay reasonably dry during the BIG wind? And why is that elk grinning?

Incurable....but the current inflation rate may offer some symptomatic relief... The Kimber sounds interesting. Would like some follow up when you get to shooting/reloading.

Inquiring minds want to know. Did you stay reasonably dry during the BIG wind? And why is that elk grinning?
    Yes , that storm was way north of us , I'm in east south florida , Stuart area . Not sure whats up with his smile , but he sure does taste good , I smile every time I cook some up , LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRJR View Post
    Well , I solved the problem ! First , I'm trying to lose weight , and get in better shape . I went to Colorado for a Elk hunt last month and going up and down those canyons was tough on this old guy , LOL...
    LOL. My mother-in-law said, "When you get over 50, fat gets sticky." I can say that when you get over 60 it gets even stickier :)

Congrats on the elk hunt. Last one I killed was with my car

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    LOL. My mother-in-law said, "When you get over 50, fat gets sticky." I can say that when you get over 60 it gets even stickier :)

Congrats on the elk hunt. Last one I killed was with my car
    Wow , that must've sucked , hitting a Elk .

I'm putting in for NM next year , just for fun , hard to get drawn though . I plan on putting in a few different states .
    That Elk was in Pleasant View Co , the four corners area , I could see the mountains in NM from the lodge .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRJR View Post
    Well , I solved the problem ! First , I'm trying to lose weight , and get in better shape . I went to Colorado for a Elk hunt last month and going up and down those canyons was tough on this old guy , LOL
    Also , I have an older 110 7mm rem mag with a pencil barrel and the plastic stock , it weighs 7.4 lbs , bare , or so . I've taken a lot of deer and an Elk with it , but the thin barrel kinda freaks me out . Plus the trigger guard screw is stripped and the forearm is kinda skewed to the port side .
    So I want a rifle for Elk and spot and stalk / backpack next year .
    So , I ordered a Kimber Mountain Desolve Blak in .280AI , paid $899 , removable break and a thread cover . This rifle has an advertised weight of 5 pounds 7 ounces . I plan to put my Nikon Monarch 3 on it , and at 19 ounces that makes a 7 lbs rifle package .
    I couldn't bring myself to messing with the LRH , I'm shooting very accurate with it , I'm very happy , except for the weight . If I go horseback hunting again , I'll take it .
    Here's the Elk I shot last month with my crossbow .

[IMG][/IMG]
    I know that it is resolved, but the 7mm RM Long Range hunter can lose about a pound by going with a different stock The accustock i s about 3 LBS and the cheap plastic savage stocks are just over 2. If it shoots good, i wouldn't recommend taking off the accustock, and it looks like you decided to get a different rifle instead of exploring that option. GOOD!!
    I had a Kimber 280ai Classic Select and it is a great alternative to a 7mm Rem Mag when you are running a lighter gun! It really is a nice round, i was pushing a 168 ABLR at 2840 FPS and it seemed just perfect. It wasn't exactly a hot load for it, but it filled the gap nicely between my 7mm Rem Mag LRH and my Bighorn 7x57 and Kimber Adirondak 7mm-08. I keep thinking i may get another 280ai some day, but i just don't need it. I ended up selling the 280AI to a relative because it just wasn't what i wanted (i used the money to get a Savage Ultralite in 28 Nosler, but when she gets too old to hunt i could see buying it back. It is a super nice gun. That Kimber Adirondak, i did a bunch of load development and just couldn't get rid of it fast enough. There is a such thing as too light, and at 4.7 LBS a 7mm-08 with an 18" barrel was it. I had put a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3i on it and as a total package it weighed just under 6 LBS... It was a slow 145 grain bullet (because of the short barrel) and a lot of very uncomfortable recoil. I ended up trading it off on a Savage Ultralite 6.5 Creedmoor... with ZERO regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I know that it is resolved, but the 7mm RM Long Range hunter can lose about a pound by going with a different stock The accustock i s about 3 LBS and the cheap plastic savage stocks are just over 2. If it shoots good, i wouldn't recommend taking off the accustock, and it looks like you decided to get a different rifle instead of exploring that option. GOOD!!
    I had a Kimber 280ai Classic Select and it is a great alternative to a 7mm Rem Mag when you are running a lighter gun! It really is a nice round, i was pushing a 168 ABLR at 2840 FPS and it seemed just perfect. It wasn't exactly a hot load for it, but it filled the gap nicely between my 7mm Rem Mag LRH and my Bighorn 7x57 and Kimber Adirondak 7mm-08. I keep thinking i may get another 280ai some day, but i just don't need it. I ended up selling the 280AI to a relative because it just wasn't what i wanted (i used the money to get a Savage Ultralite in 28 Nosler, but when she gets too old to hunt i could see buying it back. It is a super nice gun. That Kimber Adirondak, i did a bunch of load development and just couldn't get rid of it fast enough. There is a such thing as too light, and at 4.7 LBS a 7mm-08 with an 18" barrel was it. I had put a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3i on it and as a total package it weighed just under 6 LBS... It was a slow 145 grain bullet (because of the short barrel) and a lot of very uncomfortable recoil. I ended up trading it off on a Savage Ultralite 6.5 Creedmoor... with ZERO regrets.
    Depending on who you talk to Kimber is either a great shooting rifle or it's a hit or miss type deal , pun intended , LOL . I'm not real recoil sensitive , especially when shooting at game . Time will tell , but I'm kinda invested in the caliber , bought the brass and dies already .
    But Kimber guarantees the accuracy so if it's a dud I'll just keep sending it back till they get it right .

Basic Member
    That 280AI that i had would pretty reliably put 5 shots under a MOA, so the accuracy wasn't bad. The 7mm-08 was a bit tougher to work up a load for. I could only get about 1 1/2 MOA with it, but it is a LOT harder to shoot such a light rifle accurately. Even going from a 6 LB rifle to 4.7, you wouldn't think it would be that hard. But it certainly was. I am sure a good portion of that was me. So i have had two "good" kimbers, but i have read SOOOO many horror stories. How is yours? I imagine it isn't even broke in yet, so it might be too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    That 280AI that i had would pretty reliably put 5 shots under a MOA, so the accuracy wasn't bad. The 7mm-08 was a bit tougher to work up a load for. I could only get about 1 1/2 MOA with it, but it is a LOT harder to shoot such a light rifle accurately. Even going from a 6 LB rifle to 4.7, you wouldn't think it would be that hard. But it certainly was. I am sure a good portion of that was me. So i have had two "good" kimbers, but i have read SOOOO many horror stories. How is yours? I imagine it isn't even broke in yet, so it might be too early to tell.
    It was just shipped out today , it'll be awhile before I get it , so I'll have time to load a few rounds .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast