Thread: APEX vs AXIS

APEX vs AXIS

What is the difference between these two lines of bolt action rifles?

Banned
    The Apex is a model within the 110 Family of Actions. So it’s the 110 Apex, just as the 110 Timberline, or 110 Storm, or 110 Ultralight. Whereas the Axis is it’s own Family Action, like the 110, or the Impulse.

I do believe it was error in judgment on Savage’s part as it’s confusing.

Team Savage
    If Dave's answer was insufficient for you, the link below from the Savage FAQ section will likely cover the majority of your questions about differences between the the two actions in more detail.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...AQ-s-(updated)

Not trying to sound like a sycophant, but I think Jim has done a fantastic job creating and compiling content from himself and many other knowledgeable forum members in one easy to access location. I think the FAQ Section along with the participants on this board and their willingness to share information is one of the best parts of this community. I have personally benefitted numerous times from members willingly sharing information, thoughts, and ideas when I have asked questions publicly and via PM.

Basic Member
    And, just to be complete, the difference between the Axis and 110 line can be minor depending on what you want from your rifle.

The Axis line uses a different receiver. On the one hand the bolt tends to be a bit 'sloppier' and the recoil lug is just one step up from a joke. But, the smaller ejection port makes it quite stiff. The other downside is aftermarket support (which is getting a little better). Fewer choices of better triggers and stocks. The good part is you use the same bolt head as the 110 and the barrel is the same shank. The only cartridges that are a bit extensive to 'fit' are the magnums (ie, requires some gunsmithing skills).

That's it. If you want a rifle that shoots well and can take a beating without spending a lot of money, the Axis will work. A good choice for an annual deer or elk hunt. If you want bugholes then it is the wrong platform to start with. In the end you'll spend more money than you would on a 110 or Rem700 to get to the same place.

An example is my Axis. Bought from Walmart. Shot it a lot, then got a Boyd's stock (~$200). Then installed pillars and bedded it. Now it has a model 12 barrel on it (26" stainless, fluted, heavy varmint contour). So, original price plus about $400-500 in upgrades and I have a model 12 that isn't quite as smooth and still has the original (2.5lb) accutrigger vs a target model.

Most Savage owners would pick the 110 action over the Axis action.
    mostly for ability to upgrade. That is changing but still mostly true.

If you asked me for advice i would point you to the 110 actioned rifle. IMHO
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

A 10 action is like a 10/22. You just need the serial numbered action and the rest is your imagination. Pew pew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    The OP already has an 110 Apex. I think he was just wondering. Or perhaps wondering if he made a mistake because he did indicate a problem with his Apex in another thread.

However, I also agree with choosing the 110. I think the Axis is good for a basic hunting rifle for someone who does not care to invest much money. But for a true fan of the platform, the 110 is the way to go. The Axis’ Recoil Lug is a joke as Charlie pointed out. Almost like they were trying to emulate Tikka, but ran out of brain power! And the Barrel Nut is clamping only half of the face of the Action. Just seemed like a lazy, half-butt way of doing it.

But I don’t mean to be too harsh. Again, I think it’s a great budget hunting rifle. Anyone can afford one & they will take down any game in our nation. So for dedicated hunters who aren’t “gun guys”, good stuff. Just don’t compare them to the legend with the incredible American heritage the 110 has. Being the longest produced rifle in our history.

Makes sense to me.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    If Dave's answer was insufficient for you, the link below from the Savage FAQ section will likely cover the majority of your questions about differences between the the two actions in more detail.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...AQ-s-(updated)

Not trying to sound like a sycophant, but I think Jim has done a fantastic job creating and compiling content from himself and many other knowledgeable forum members in one easy to access location. I think the FAQ Section along with the participants on this board and their willingness to share information is one of the best parts of this community. I have personally benefitted numerous times from members willingly sharing information, thoughts, and ideas when I have asked questions publicly and via PM.
    the savage FAQ is terrific! Thanks.