Thread: Lightweight Storm Weight Savings Breakdown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

Lightweight Storm Weight Savings Breakdown

I just picked up a new LWS in 7mm08 and I immediately love it. I broke it down for an in depth comparison (for youtube) with my 110 Storm 300 WSM. The video is linked below (thanks for the clarification, Dave), but I thought some on here might be interested to see the weight data:

Bolt: 11.3oz, 1.8oz lighter
    Magazine: 2.5oz, 1.9oz lighter
    Stock (w/o mag): 1lb 14.5oz, 12.5oz lighter
    Barreled Action: 2lbs 15.5oz, 14.8oz lighter
    Complete Rifle: 5lbs 11.6oz, 1lb 15oz lighter

I bet if it had a .308" bore instead of. 284" it would be exactly 5.6lbs as advertised.

If I could make one change, I would add the Accustock's aluminum bedding block. Not the bottom metal and changeable cheek pieces, just the bedding block.

Here's the video:
    Last edited by Chris_in_Idaho; 11-20-2022 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added video

Banned
    Yeah, your video is fine. As long as a video is about Savage, and series appropriate per individual forum, (Not posting a video about the Axis in the 110 forum here, or vice-versa.), it’s fine.

I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

Team Savage
    Good report.

Some folks don't understand why we count ounces on rifles, but after 20 or so miles and 5-7k feet of elevation change, it sure is nice to have a 6 lb. rifle in the hands.

I've settled on hunting rifles that weigh between 6.5-7 lbs. scoped as my preferred weight. With Savage, there are a lot of ways to get to these numbers. We have great options.

My two at the moment are an Ultralight in 6.5 CM and a Model 10 action with a .308 barrel off an Ultralight. Both rifles are exactly 7 lbs. scoped. The 6.5 CM barrel is 4 oz. heavier than the .308 because of the smaller bore.

Any less than 6.5 lbs. scoped and I find them hard to hold steady in a hunting situation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Good report.

Some folks don't understand why we count ounces on rifles, but after 20 or so miles and 5-7k feet of elevation change, it sure is nice to have a 6 lb. rifle in the hands.

I've settled on hunting rifles that weigh between 6.5-7 lbs. scoped as my preferred weight. With Savage, there are a lot of ways to get to these numbers. We have great options.

My two at the moment are an Ultralight in 6.5 CM and a Model 10 action with a .308 barrel off an Ultralight. Both rifles are exactly 7 lbs. scoped. The 6.5 CM barrel is 4 oz. heavier than the .308 because of the smaller bore.

Any less than 6.5 lbs. scoped and I find them hard to hold steady in a hunting situation.
    What scopes are you using?

Team Savage
    I'm interested to hear prdatr's answer as well. For my LWS I've got a VX3 2.5-8 I'll probably use. I believe it's 11oz.

Banned
    Yes, the VX3 2.5-8x36 is 11.4oz. IMO, the Leupold FX & VX lines (preferably VX), are the best hunting scopes made. And they are by far the lightest! All the way down to FX-1 4x28 at 7.5oxz! The VX Freedom 3-9x40 is a great choice with its balance of high magnification, greater FOV via 40mm objective & lightweight @ 12.2oz., not to mention a super affordable price. However, weight is key, the FX-1 4x28 is the way to go. It that magnification can support your range. 7.5oz…. Like it’s not even there!

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    What scopes are you using?
    Generally Leupold as they are usually the lightest of a certain class and also very good quality. However lately I've been using the Burris Fullfield II's and am very happy with them. They are 13 oz. and an excellent value for a very reliable scope with as good a warranty as Leupold and others.