Thread: 110 Tactical 6.5 PRC with wrong mag

110 Tactical 6.5 PRC with wrong mag

Hello all
    i recently acquired a 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 PRC with 24” Barrel. When I tried to load Hornady ELD X into mag I noticed the round being too long. The polymer tip doesn’t clear down into mag. I checked the magazine and it’s a Magpul PMAG 5 7.62 x 51. Obviously wrong mag for the prc but fits the mag well perfectly. Does anyone know a precise fit mag for this rifle in 6.5 PRC. Couldn’t find correct one in Magpul site.
    Any suggestions? Thx

Team Savage
    Welcome, Venator.
    Since you haven't received a response, I'll try to help. SAAMI COAL (Cartridge Over All Length) for the 6.5 PRC is 2.755"(min) to 2.955" (max). Not owning a 110 Tactical and based upon the information provided it must be set up to use AICS magazines. Industry standard .308 AICS mags are setup for 2.850" COAL so its not a surprise the cartridge doesn't fit. Its unclear from your post if this is Hornady factory loaded ammo or a reload. If factory ammo, it is also no surprise the cartridge doesn't fit because loading to a shorter COAL to fit into the smaller mag may adversely impact Hornaday's advertised velocity numbers and possibly accuracy. If this is reloaded ammo, you may be able to seat the bullet deeper into the case to meet the COAL limits of your mag. I can't speak to any effect the shortened COAL may have on the pressure or accuracy of your handloads. As I write this, I'm kind of surprised 6.5 PRC cases fit into the 308 mag given the difference in case diameters. Regardless, this is why short action magnum AICS magazines were created. I can't recommend a brand to buy but I know they are made by Accurate, MDT, I think XLR, and possibly others. I know Magpul does not make one. You are going to have to research compatibility with your rifle with respect to magazine fit and cartridge feeding. The only AICS polymer WSM/SAUM/PRC mag I know of is 3-D printed and sold by a Canadian firm that does ship to the US. Link below:
    https://mag3d.ca/product/aics-style-6-5-prc-magazine/

Hopefully this response is of some value to you. Unfortunately, I cannot be of more assistance. I have no personal experience with the 6.5 PRC and don't have a rifle chambered for one to experiment with. I considered it when it came out, but the 6.5 PRC duplicates the ballistics of my 6.5x284 Norma so I don't have a reason to switch. I flirted with a wildcat precursor of the 6.5 PRC, the 6.5 Extreme, but the gains were minimal for a lot of case prep work. If someone doesn't have a 6.5x284 Norma chamber reamer designed to their specs, I can understand the appeal of the 6.5 PRC.

Good luck. I think you should be able to find a suitable short action magnum magazine to solve your issue.

Banned
    You want this one. Choose either the 3rd or 7rd WSM/SAUM mag.

https://www.area419.com/product/accurate-mag/

Basic Member
    If you bought the rifle new try giving Savage a call. They have a reputation on this site for making good on errors like this.

Basic Member
    The magazine is made by Accurate Mag. https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazi...dssf-magazine/

Banned
    Is there an echo in here?

Basic Member
    The only one that I have used is the Accurate Mag- that has been linked above..... It lets you have a overall length of 2.950 and either 3 or 7 rounds of capacity. MDT also makes one for the PRC and it is about the same with a OAL of 2.955, But (supposedly- can't verify this) has a different stacking design so that it is a shorter mag for the same capacity. This is no issue if you are running the 3 round mag- but the 7 round ones start to stick out quite a bit- so if true could be an advantage.

Basic Member
    Side note- that magazine that wildcat linked is a lot cheaper and on paper should work- but it looks kind of sketchy-.... and that's the one they decided to use for the picture. May work fine- but not a very refined looking product.

Banned
    EDIT: was trying to joke at Whynot’s expense, but the joke was on me because I mistook who he referenced. LOL!

Hi Wildcat, thanks for the info, very informative. These are factory loaded Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X ammo. Measuring a few of the rounds came out to 2.494 to 2.950. So I’ll be researching for alternate mags.

Guys thanks for all the info. I’ll be checking all the links and see what I can get.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You mean the one I linked? But yeah… that was cute what you did there, LOL
    Um- no-- not the one you linked.... You and back2wyo both linked the same one... and there's nothing sketchy about them. They work good. The one that I am talking about is the polymer mag in wildcats post. It is much cheaper than the metal ones but looks like someone worked it over with a utility knife and a dremel.

So if I did something "cute" then you are going to have to explain that one to me.

The one wildcat linked was a 3D printed mag. I might order each one and see what fits best.

Ok just ordered the polymer from mag3d and also the accurate-mag. When I get them both I’ll update which works best.
    thanks all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Um- no-- not the one you linked.... You and back2wyo both linked the same one... and there's nothing sketchy about them. They work good. The one that I am talking about is the polymer mag in wildcats post. It is much cheaper than the metal ones but looks like someone worked it over with a utility knife and a dremel.

So if I did something "cute" then you are going to have to explain that one to me.
    LOL!! No, no.. It was tongue in cheek. Sorry, forgot the laughing emoji.. But I was mistaken. I thought you were you were talking about Back2Wyo’s post #5, and referencing in jest when I asked about an echo. I didn’t realize it was Wildcat’s link you meant. But it was all just LOL-LOL. HAR-HAR anyway. Still, I apologize for mistaking the name you were pointing out. I’ll edit that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Ok just ordered the polymer from mag3d and also the accurate-mag. When I get them both I’ll update which works best.
    thanks all.
    Yes report back, curious.

My 110 Tactical came with an Accurate Mag. I also have a couple MDT mags that work.

Banned
    3D mags almost 100% fail in short order.. The layers have to be built at almost a 45 degree angle, otherwise they just separate. Also, the polymer used is no where near the strength of proper firearms Polymer used by Magpul, Glock, etc.

Basic Member
    Maybe too late but Accurate-Mag is having their cyber Monday sale of 20% off with "THANKS22" code.

MDT has their Black Friday sale and mag are/were 40% off.

Hi all,
    sorry took so long to update. Got both the Accurate-Mag and the polymer MAG3D.CA a few weeks ago and only getting to it now.
    first and foremost the MAG3D 4 round is a fail. The tolerance for the factory round from ELDX is to tight. You can get the rounds into the magazine but after the first round is chambered, the rest get jammed inside and do not spring up. Secondly the magazine is extremely tight going into the mag well. Also cannot get the release mechanism to engage and hold the mag. I can just pull it right out.
    The Accurate-Mag however, fits perfectly. The round load and cycle flawlessly.
    Not sure if I can work on the MAG3D with a dremmel tool to improve it.
    Tried to load pics but couldn’t.

Banned
    Yeeee-up! Told you was a waste of money. A Dremel will likely get it to work, sure. But as I also pointed out, in short order it’s going to fail. They have a 100% failure rate. They are not Glock mags, they are not Magpul mags. Completely different polymer & and construction.

So….what, your out like $40? Uhg… Can’t even say it was money spent to learn, because we knew this going into it. Ahh, I feel bad. You’d have been more than half way up on an a second Accurate mag.