Thread: What exactly do I have here...? 1927 99 .30-30 Takedown

Basic Member

What exactly do I have here...? 1927 99 .30-30 Takedown

I bought a Savage 99 from a friend of mine... 1928 (based on the 305xxx SN...) .30-30 takedown. I have read through the guides on identifying the version, but none of them apply directly to my rifle. Straight-grip stock, safety latch lever, tapped for top of receiver peep, cocked indicator, magazine counter. One of the oddities... it has a shotgun, or beavertail QD forearm... which I've not seen much of in other photos.

I'm thinking it's a 99B... but that is just a guess.

Basic Member
    It doesn't look like a factory stock, the checkering pattern is wrong. And the rear sight doesn't look original, either. Probably a 99B, I have the same rifle but with a Stith scope mount and old Weaver 2.5x.
    If it has a 22' barrel it's a 99D, 24-26' for the 99B.
    Nice looking rifle!! Good find!!

Basic Member
    Under the screw in the receiver looks dished. I think it might have been buffed and reblued.

We need several photographs in natural lighting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    If it has a 22' barrel it's a 99D, 24-26' for the 99B.
    Measured from where to where? The dismounted barrel, or from the front of the receiver?

I think it might have been buffed and reblued.
    The guy I bought it from said it had been reblued, yes. Whoever did it did a nice job... I couldn't tell, besides the fact that the bluing looks so good for a nearly 100 year old rifle.

Basic Member
    I appreciate everyone's time and input. Where my 99F is pretty cut and dried, this is sort of a mystery gun.

More photos...

King rear sight...

Under the forearm, and the latch.

...and the front profile.

Receiver...

...other side. Note the speckling on the edge near the SN. I can't tell with my untrained eye to see if that's been blued over, or if it's in the blue...

Stock checkering...

Last shooting session in NV... with my .308 99F, and the .30-30 on the right...

Basic Member
    Thanks for more pics! Very good work on the stock. That's really a nice looking rifle and it shoots good, too. Measure the barrel length from the bolt face to the muzzle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Thanks for more pics! Very good work on the stock. That's really a nice looking rifle and it shoots good, too. Measure the barrel length from the bolt face to the muzzle.

24", then... 99B it is. :)

I've looked at a LOT of 99 pictures, the only time I see wood like that is on special order rifles and such... most of the pre-war 99's (straight lever...) are quite plain, with no checkering. I've seen pics of a few with wider forearms, but none have the profile of mine.

I would guess the King rear sight is aftermarket. For one thing, the elevation adjustment won't work because it butts into the receiver.

It does need .310" cast bullets... accuracy goes completely out the window with .309"s. I've never shot it with jacketed.

Basic Member
    So far, I've shot mine with factory jacketed ammo, and it shoots great. I reload most everything, I just happen to have a lot of factory ammo! Mine is a 99B, 1930 vintage! Now you need to find a tang sight for it!!:)

1899/99's are addictive!! Can't have just one, or two...............................

Basic Member
    Beautiful custom gun there. To find the model, remove the forearm and look on the front of the receiver. Should be a letter.

That letter will tell you the model it left the factory as. Not on earlier 99's, but from the mid to late 20's thru the early 50's they were pretty good about stamping the model on the front of the receiver.

Here's an example of an EG.

Basic Member
    Nice!

Mine is an NB, according to the stamping. Not sure what the N is for... I'll have to look into that.

I also noticed the barrel is stamped with the last 3 of the SN... so it's original.

Basic Member
    The "N" is definitely interesting. But truthfully I haven't gotten data from many 99B takedowns, and they might have done "N B" on them. I know they used an "8" on 99R's in the 1930's, never figured that one out.