Thread: Savage 110 (Bottom Bolt Release) with Timney Trigger

Savage 110 (Bottom Bolt Release) with Timney Trigger

I own a Savage 110 (Long Action) with Bottom Bolt Release. Today I installed a Timney trigger. The installation was very quick and easy to do, as well as all the settings. Unfortunately, the trigger does not fit in my Savage 110 stock because of the sear engagement screw (meets the Bottom Bolt Release). It says on the Timney homepage: "Bottom Bolt Stop Release rifles will accept our trigger but need modification to sear engagement screw". Unfortunately I could not find instructions to this "fix" on the internet. Does anyone have a hint/link or maybe even instructions? That would be great!

By the way: If I completely remove the sear engagement screw and set my overtravel appropriately low, then I can insert the trigger into the stock and the trigger works perfect! It then also does not trigger randomly and breaks safely at about 1.5-6 lbs. Maybe that is the solution as well? Or is there something that argues against that? I will also make a test the days on the shooting range, so far everything was tested dry with buffer cartridges.

Greetings from Germany!
    Felix

Banned
    Get rid of the nut on the Sear screw & either shorten the one you have, or get new shorter set screw. Then just use locktite on the like the SAV-1. Done & done.

The SAV-1 doesn’t use the locknut because it’s not necessary. Locktite will work very well.

Banned
    See the difference compared to the SAV-1 Sear screw?

Hi Dave!
    Thanks you for your answer! I had also considered this, but was unsure whether Loctite (blue / medium strength?) holds the whole screw safely. I am going to do this now.

For my understanding (because it just works at least with dry firing): What is the disadvantage of not using the sear engangment screw at all? Is it just the characterstics of the trigger? I have not recognized an influence on the safety or function.

Felix

Banned
    Yes, there is no safety issue not using the Sear adjustment screw. It simply adjusts the height of the sear & trigger surfaces catching. Actually, not using the screw is the most secure, but will have noticeable trigger creep. (That’s when you can feel the trigger moving considerably before it releases.) I do prefer having the adjustment.

Thanks again! That helps me and gives me some security, because I want to hunt with the Savage tonight. At the weekend I will then shorten the sear engangement screw and glue with Loctite, as described by you. Two questions remain and I hope you can help me again:

1. Is medium strength Loctite enough? With high strengh Loctite I'm afraid I'll never be able to loosen it again.
    2. Because of interest: Does the original Accutrigger have some sort of sear engangement? When I look at the design, it looks like it doesn't have one. My currently installed Timney (without sear engangment screw) looks like it operates technically the same way as the "old“ Accutrigger at this point.

Felix

Banned
    Yes, regular Blue LocTite is fine. I actually use Vibra-Tite blue gel. No, the Accutrigger does not use a Sear adjustment screw. A company called MCarbo just released their trigger which is a copy of the Accutrigger, and it does use a Sear Adjustment. It’s a straight trigger style though… more for target shooting. I’m goin to experimenting with it.

Finger nail polish saves a trip to the auto parts store if you don't stock loctite.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWhite View Post
    Thanks again! That helps me and gives me some security, because I want to hunt with the Savage tonight. At the weekend I will then shorten the sear engangement screw and glue with Loctite, as described by you. Two questions remain and I hope you can help me again:

1. Is medium strength Loctite enough? With high strengh Loctite I'm afraid I'll never be able to loosen it again.
    2. Because of interest: Does the original Accutrigger have some sort of sear engangement? When I look at the design, it looks like it doesn't have one. My currently installed Timney (without sear engangment screw) looks like it operates technically the same way as the "old“ Accutrigger at this point.

Felix
    Good Luck on the hunt. Waidmannsheil

Many thanks for the help!

@prdatr: Thanks / Waidmannsdank!