Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accufit stock bedding

Accufit stock bedding

I'm wondering if anyone has bedded an Accufit stock or if it even pays to.
    Thank you.

Banned
    Bedding any stock or Chassis is never a bad idea, but the gains won’t be as seen on some over others. The Accufit stock already uses a full length Aluminum block. Which is the ideal bedding material. However, it is a mass produced ordeal by Savage. So having the consistency of an aftermarket setup is not something I would bet on. I would shoot it first. Likely gains in accuracy would only be seen, if the rifle was simply not accurate to begin with, with any loads, factory or loaded. That said, if an Accufit Savage is giving the owner already SUB 1” groups or better…, bedding the stock will not miraculously turn it into a 1/4MOA rig.

Once again, in case it was missed: Bedding any stock or chassis is never a bad thing as long as it’s done correctly.

Basic Member
    Like all things in here. Shoot it first. Then try to pin down what is causing larger than desired groups FYI, many factory loads will not shoot 1MOA or better until you get into the match loads.

Banned
    Exactly.

The interesting thing about the Accustock and its alluminum cradle, it is flexible. The most accurate hunting rifle I had was a bedded Stevens stock. That is eye opening.

Completely seperate and without getting philisophical, I am going to say that if you are willing to put up with the weight, go for it. Please do a load workup before and after and show the results.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Fo sho I would be skim bedding it and fo sho the recoil lug. Cheers. Why not. It’s not going to hurt accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. This stock does not come with the aluminum insert. Only two small pillars for front and rear screws.

Basic Member
    Then my question would be is the stock too flexible for bedding to do any good?

Banned
    Is yours an Ultra-Light? That version I know, does not have the Aluminum Chassis cradle. Instead, just the pillars as you mentioned. Only one that doesn’t that I’m aware of. For the weight savings obviously.

And in that case, yes bedding, along with the pillars is ideal for this. I would do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    What is this representative of Hamilton? Just showing your bedding of the Front & Recoil Lug?

My apologies. I saw accufit and read Accustock. I still say do it. I did add pillars. I did the front and rear but it is your stock. I saw a serious accuracy improvement. Rigidity? Harmonics? Who knows. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    What is this representative of Hamilton? Just showing your bedding of the Front & Recoil Lug?
    The accufit stock is different than the accu stock. One is like the stock I’m showing. Pillars in plastic. It helped tremendously to bed the front of the action and the recoil lug.

Banned
    All that I’ve read the “Accustock” aluminum bedding was included in the Accufit offerings except for the ultra light. What model do have?

I know at least many of them are. So, they aren’t ALL different. American Rifle from 2018:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ape-of-savage/

Thank you for the picture ! Very helpful. Can you tell me what you bedded with and how you prepared the bedding area ?
    Thanks again ! Is there a way to contact you personally to visit about your bedding process?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Thank you for the picture ! Very helpful. Can you tell me what you bedded with and how you prepared the bedding area ?
    Thanks again ! Is there a way to contact you personally to visit about your bedding process?
    919669286zero
    Kiler

JB weld. Painters tape. Bow string wax.

919669286zero Kiler JB weld. Painters tape. Bow string wax. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And maybe some modeling clay. A Dremel or a small set of files helps on the finish work.

Basic Member
    On my Ultralite's Accufit stock, no portions of the pillars were contacting the action. They were about 60 thou below the stock's action surface. There was not distinct "lock up" of the action screws when torqued to 30, then 34, and then to the 38-40# spec. It felt like mush, as the polymer stock was compressiing but not achieving metal-to-metal contact. Any additional torque would likely stress the action. The Accufit stock does not have radiused pillars either. Notably, when placing the barreled action into the stock, there us side-to-side rocking. That means the action screws are also doing the duty of centering the action vertically. At the various torques I applied, I noticed a tiny bit of movement signs in the stock, and unacceptable vertical shot strings from high to low at 600 to 850 yards. I called Savage and explained my concerns, and they promptly stated that they are sending me a new stock. In the meantime for the sake of providing you folks with entertainment, I radiused my current stock and pillars with a 1" pipe wrapped with a full sheet of 80-grit, using soft rubber shims to keep the pipe centered in the forend channel. I sanded until the the rear "cut" pillar almost became fully radiused, and the most of the front pillar became radiused. The radius rig I described is slightly smaller than the action radius, which should put a nice squeeze on the action as I torque the action screws. I noticed a definate lock up in the action screws as I put the gun back together. The front action screw is at 40#, and the rear is at 34". I'm hopping in the buggy and heading down to rip some off to see what the results are and report back. I can't seem to post pics.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeb View Post
    On my Ultralite's Accufit stock, no portions of the pillars were contacting the action. They were about 60 thou below the stock's action surface. There was not distinct "lock up" of the action screws when torqued to 30, then 34, and then to the 38-40# spec. It felt like mush, as the polymer stock was compressiing but not achieving metal-to-metal contact. Any additional torque would likely stress the action. The Accufit stock does not have radiused pillars either. Notably, when placing the barreled action into the stock, there us side-to-side rocking. That means the action screws are also doing the duty of centering the action vertically. At the various torques I applied, I noticed a tiny bit of movement signs in the stock, and unacceptable vertical shot strings from high to low at 600 to 850 yards. I called Savage and explained my concerns, and they promptly stated that they are sending me a new stock. In the meantime for the sake of providing you folks with entertainment, I radiused my current stock and pillars with a 1" pipe wrapped with a full sheet of 80-grit, using soft rubber shims to keep the pipe centered in the forend channel. I sanded until the the rear "cut" pillar almost became fully radiused, and the most of the front pillar became radiused. The radius rig I described is slightly smaller than the action radius, which should put a nice squeeze on the action as I torque the action screws. I noticed a definate lock up in the action screws as I put the gun back together. The front action screw is at 40#, and the rear is at 34". I'm hopping in the buggy and heading down to rip some off to see what the results are and report back. I can't seem to post pics.

Glad they are send you a replacement stock.

Basic Member
    Whelp, it shot OK. I took six shots at 100yds. The 2nd and 3rd were 3/4" low, and the rest were piled on each other. Also, the 175gr Hornady Precision Hunter ammo is shooting no where near advertised, and with a spread from 1708 to 1802fps. I wish I had time to work up some loads before I go elk hunting next week. I hope the next lot of ammo I buy is better.

Basic Member
    I noticed some action flex when playing with the rear action screw. I had not taken the tang area down enough, so I gently sanded it with a longer piece of the same diameter pipe until I achieved a perfect mating surface. I re-assembled the gun, set the front screw at 40# and the rear at 36#, while keeping my finger on the end of the tang as I was torquing. No flex. I shot a quick three shot group at 1/2" while testing different chrony panels (IR). I think this is the ticket. I am waiting on more ammo, as well as dies and ELD-Xs to confirm.

Basic Member
    I threw the replacement stock on, did a proper torque, and it's shooting an average of 3/4 MOA over the last 52 rounds. That'll be fine for my elk trip this week.

Banned
    Delete. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeb View Post
    I threw the replacement stock on, did a proper torque, and it's shooting an average of 3/4 MOA over the last 52 rounds. That'll be fine for my elk trip this week.
    Where?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Where?
    Colorado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast