Thread: Another Year, Another Savage

Another Year, Another Savage

Been a year since I’ve been in here, or pretty close to it. 3 children and a regular job sure cut down the gun practice. But I grabbed up another Savage this fall. Wanted to get something that would swing from coyote to medium game to range shooting at decently long distance. So I drank the Creedmoor Kool-aid. Picked up a 110 in 6.5CM with a 3x9 Vortex.

Much different feel from my model 12 .223 in varmint hunter. Sort of like shooting an anti-aircraft barrel then switching to a cap gun. But much lighter and more ergonomic for hunting, and with a scope upgrade this winter, hopefully more options for reaching out further on paper. When the time comes, I’ll have to get into the weeds on barrel and stock. I have lofty plans for these ladies if my budget can stomach it.

Anyway, I’m still around, and with 2 in the arsenal, I feel a collection coming on. Grateful for the wealth of info on here!

MYT

What model 110 did you get?

Team Savage
    welcome

Banned
    Welcome. Nothing wrong with grabbing a 6.5CM. It’s a turn key target gun that can do what other bullets do, i.e., “it will Keel!” I’m curious also which model 110 you have? Pics?

Sorry for the insane delay. I took off to the mountains last weekend in a fruitless elk pursuit, then came back and jumped back into young family life. I don't think I can "legally" share photos yet, but I tried with this Google Drive link. The 110 is in "Trophy" model. Main event is the removeable mag and adjustable stock. I did actually adjust the stock for a significantly better eye relief while sighting it in. Fairly happy with the improved accuracy after about 30 rounds and 5-6 stock and scope adjustments. Itching to tear it apart, but I need to gain a bit more confidence first.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e8m...ew?usp=sharing

Banned
    Not a problem friend. Very nice.

AHHH… you don’t need no stinking confidence! You are here with some of the most knowledgeable firearms enthusiasts around… AND.. ALSO…. some guys like me. LOL! I do know which end the bullet comes out after all.

Seriously, very easy. Two Action screws. Barreled Action lifts straight out. Depending on where it’s set, you may be able to adjust your trigger a bit lighter. And honestly, any problems, just post in the 110 section here. Your problem will be solved. Whatever problem your rig may develop we’ve seen it. More than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Not a problem friend. Very nice.

AHHH… you don’t need no stinking confidence! You are here with some of the most knowledgeable firearms enthusiasts around… AND.. ALSO…. some guys like me. LOL! I do know which end the bullet comes out after all.

Seriously, very easy. Two Action screws. Barreled Action lifts straight out. Depending on where it’s set, you may be able to adjust your trigger a bit lighter. And honestly, any problems, just post in the 110 section here. Your problem will be solved. Whatever problem your rig may develop we’ve seen it. More than once.
    Well that's freaking awesome! Soon as coyote fur season is over, we'll have the whole spring and summer to build. Reckon I should use the fur fund to trick out the weaponry. Boy, my wife is going to have a conniption.

Probably need to snag a third gun on Black Friday for a range weapon build since these two already sort of have jobs. I can see how this gets to be a problem over 20 years!

Banned
    You said it partner! Actually I was worse 10-15 years ago. I was building & buying a rifle and/or pistol every few months it seemed during that time. But several years managing a range & being instructor, gave me access to an unbelievable amount of different firearms. Many, many at my disposal daily! Single shot, Semi, & full auto. Got to a point punching holes in paper at 25yds became, well… boring! That has pretty much stuck with me. I’ve still built a good many these last 7 years, but I don’t buy them any longer. I’ve also settled with a more simple taste. Only need a few different cartridges. Hell, I don’t even have a 22lr or 12ga any more. Anyhoo..