Thread: Savage 110E-D mags one weirdness

Savage 110E-D mags one weirdness

I just picked up this 110E-D off gunbroker.

7mm blind mag staggered feed. Fixed floor plate with spring and follower but uses a detachable box magazine like a 110C would use.

Very interesting how they assembled the magazine parts.

US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member

Banned
    Nothing strange about partner. Those of us been active here a minute are quite familiar with them. Jim has done an amazing job with stocking this site with about every piece of information there is on Savages. Just most people don’t go looking for the info on they’re own. (Not implying you my friend, just a matter of fact is all)

Take a look through this Article. https://savageshooters.com/content.p...tems&styleid=4

Team Savage

Interesting, 6-digit serial number with no alpha character means the action is 1968 or earlier and the flat bolt nut corresponds to same. Your floor plate is same as the stagger fed box mag on my very early 110. Trigger group is different than pre-66 as well, yours might be '67 or '68. Look on left side of barrel for the inspector's stamp, an oval circle containing 2-digits and alpha character, what is the alpha character?

The 110E was introduced mid-1962 but the barrel still had a band for the rear sight dovetail which was continued thru 1966. The band was dropped in 1967 which was the same year the detachable box magazine was introduced.

There are scanned copies of Savage catalogs in the history section of the FAQ - https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?275-catalogs

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Nothing strange about partner. Those of us been active here a minute are quite familiar with them. Jim has done an amazing job with stocking this site with about every piece of information there is on Savages. Just most people don’t go looking for the info on they’re own. (Not implying you my friend, just a matter of fact is all)

Take a look through this Article. https://savageshooters.com/content.p...tems&styleid=4
    Having been around a while and mostly collecting Early Savage 110's what I found weird was the detachable box shell but no detachable magazine. Seems that they were either short on true blind magazine or this was intended to be a true detachable mag but put into the wrong stock?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Interesting, 6-digit serial number with no alpha character means the action is 1968 or earlier and the flat bolt nut corresponds to same. Your floor plate is same as the stagger fed box mag on my very early 110. Trigger group is different than pre-66 as well, yours might be '67 or '68. Look on left side of barrel for the inspector's stamp, an oval circle containing 2-digits and alpha character, what is the alpha character?

The 110E was introduced mid-1962 but the barrel still had a band for the rear sight dovetail which was continued thru 1966. The band was dropped in 1967 which was the same year the detachable box magazine was introduced.

There are scanned copies of Savage catalogs in the history section of the FAQ - https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?275-catalogs
    Left side is stamped SP after the caliber
    Left side before the Roll mark is 6V
    Center is stamped 8V
    Right side is stamped 3V

Team Savage

V would be 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    V would be 1968.
    Thanks PhilC!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_GUN_NUT View Post
    Having been around a while and mostly collecting Early Savage 110's what I found weird was the detachable box shell but no detachable magazine. Seems that they were either short on true blind magazine or this was intended to be a true detachable mag but put into the wrong stock?
    Have run into this a lot and my best guestimate is that this was an attempted "cost cutting" measure and a way to use up surplus parts by Savage in the mid 1960's, and can be sporadically found on guns up through the late 60's/early 70's from what I've seen.

Remember that in the early/mid 60's every gun manufacturer was looking for ways to cut costs and make firearms more efficiently by experimenting with new production methods and processes - which is also why pre-1960's guns from many manufacturers are considered better and fetch a premium compared to those made in later years (i.e. 1964 being the cut-off year for Winchester's, 1960 for the Savage 99's, etc.).

Edit: Just remembered this after posting (CRS syndrome and all). Savage came up with a hinged floorplate design in the early 1960's for the 110, but it had a fatal design flaw in that the catch would release under recoil and dump the magazine contents on the ground each time you shot it. Unfortunately Savage didn't discover this flaw until after they'd decided to put it into production and ordered a bunch of stocks through-cut for use with the hinged floorplate. So as a means to make use of all those stocks they simply came up with a metal bottom plate to cover that through-cut and used those stocks on blind magazine rifles.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain